Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st May 2015, 17:35   #31
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I think it is
I could never remember which... but knew it was one of the two...
Old 31st May 2015, 17:46   #32
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy-dials.com View Post
I could never remember which... but knew it was one of the two...
Hi Peter,the cranksensor one is simply a coil so more robust and not temperature dependent ..
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 15:30   #33
Nickymousecymru
Regular poster

MG-ZT

I had EXACTLY the same symptoms once where the car drove as usually to work but wouldn't start when I got out. Left the car at work that night ,returned in the morning and it started 1st time. Next couple of weeks the engine management light would flicker on and off...someone on here(forgive for forgetting who) suggested i check the plug at the top of the fuel filter assembly...i remove and refitted and not had a problem in 3 months...worth a try
Nickymousecymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 07:28   #34
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

You are forgiven Nicky.

Simon, as mentioned best to either get the car on a diagnostic or do some checks yourself to find out exactly what is wrong.

If the engine starts and runs OK after a sniff of Easystart then carry out an injector leakback test. The engine driven high pressure fuel pump is only turning at 3/4 engine speed so when cranking, if there is a leaking injector, the fuel pressure in the common rail won't get high enough for the ECM to initiate the injectors firing. The Easystart speeds the engine up enough to overcome the pressure loss, and, once started, the pump can then cope.

If the cam sensor is faulty, no amount of Easystart will allow the engine to run. The ECM needs to check the initial cam position (as the cams rotate at half engine speed) at start up and then it ignores the cam sensor until the next start up. It knows that for every two turns of the crankshaft the camshafts will turn once so it uses just the crank sensor once the engine has started.

So a faulty crank sensor can give you problems after the engine has started but a faulty cam sensor can't. Also, although the cam sensors usually start to fail when warm, they can fail from cold - mine did.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:18   #35
simon.goode88
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for all the info everybody. Hopefully seeing Phil T4 the weekend to get it all checked out and get the 160 map put on it.
simon.goode88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:23   #36
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
You are forgiven Nicky.

If the cam sensor is faulty, no amount of Easystart will allow the engine to run. The ECM needs to check the initial cam position (as the cams rotate at half engine speed) at start up and then it ignores the cam sensor until the next start up. It knows that for every two turns of the crankshaft the camshafts will turn once so it uses just the crank sensor once the engine has started.

So a faulty crank sensor can give you problems after the engine has started but a faulty cam sensor can't. Also, although the cam sensors usually start to fail when warm, they can fail from cold - mine did.
Doesn't the tacho needle bounce when cranking, if the cam sensor is good - remind me?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:17   #37
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Close but that's the test for the crank sensor Harry.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:21   #38
RodgerD
Rodger & Out

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.goode88 View Post
Thanks for all the info everybody. Hopefully seeing Phil T4 the weekend to get it all checked out and get the 160 map put on it.
Good decision, will save scratch your head with a hit or miss approach to sorting your car out. BTW do you still have the 1.8T that needed work doing to the engine, or have you moved it on.
RodgerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:15   #39
simon.goode88
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

The 1.8t was stripped and scrapped today as ive got the diesel now and dont need the 1.8t. I swapped parts over from the 1.8t to the diesel. All i need are the boot struts and an engine cover
simon.goode88 is offline   Reply With Quote