Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Traders Shops & Members Spares For-Sale > Members Own Spares For Sale
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 29th January 2009, 09:45   #31
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzza0 View Post
I'd be interested, but would want the blue LED's in my 16:9 navi screen doing too. Is it possible?
Possible yes. Will I be doing it? No... there's just too much risk of damaging it. Also, with 50+ LEDs to swap which are also probably tricky to access... the costs would be prohibitive.

The only way I'd consider doing it would be if someone supplied the unit, paid up front for the parts, and took on any risk, i.e. if I break it... tough luck, no comeback. And even then I wouldn't know what parts were needed (or even if it's possible to convert) until I dismantled the unit to see the circuit boards.

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
Old 29th January 2009, 09:56   #32
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrax View Post
The only way I'd consider doing it would be if someone supplied the unit, paid up front for the parts, and took on any risk, i.e. if I break it... tough luck, no comeback. And even then I wouldn't know what parts were needed (or even if it's possible to convert) until I dismantled the unit to see the circuit boards.
Ah - the Gordon Brown school of business
Old 29th January 2009, 20:46   #33
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

Quote:
Nooo, I meant the climate control units with white LEDs... I'm not tackling the sat nav! Because if I manage to break a CCU it's cheap to replace, whereas breaking the sat nav would be one expensive mistake...

Only kidding - did a 250 mile run today (there goes another tank of fuel) most of which was at night - new display is fantastic and much easier to read.

Could you let me know the part number and source for your LED's - guess I'll need to tackle some of the other switches before I strip a £500 widescreen sat nav unit
Old 29th January 2009, 20:50   #34
geoff11
Loves to post

ZT 260

I Look foreward to getting mine back then
Old 29th January 2009, 21:20   #35
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff11 View Post
I Look foreward to getting mine back then
It really is great - the only downside is it makes you realise just how many orange bits there are to change - never been great with a soldering iron but I guess I'm not too old to learn!
Old 10th February 2009, 22:03   #36
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Default Blue illumination

Hi Calibrax. Very interested in your blue illumination projects.
Wanted to start mine myself but have fallen at the first hurdle. I wanted to start with the cheapest option first to see how it would go. Not at all as it turns out!

Love the look of the blue LEDs so bought a kit for the window switches off ebay. Received them today. No where near. No suprise. Have you attempted these yourself at all?

Also notice from the pictures your instuments and clock are blue. Did you do these aswell or were they standard on your diesel.
Old 10th February 2009, 22:07   #37
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
It really is great - the only downside is it makes you realise just how many orange bits there are to change - never been great with a soldering iron but I guess I'm not too old to learn!
Or maybe I am. Steve fancy a little project - seem to have collected a box of spare switches etc
Old 10th February 2009, 23:41   #38
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Love the look of the blue LEDs so bought a kit for the window switches off ebay. Received them today. No where near. No suprise. Have you attempted these yourself at all?

Also notice from the pictures your instuments and clock are blue. Did you do these aswell or were they standard on your diesel.
Window/mirror switch converted...

None of my car was blue as standard - I upgraded the speedo and clock to the MkII version which was blue as standard, but some of the cluster was still orange (odometer and message centre) and I've converted those bits to blue (still not finished though). Have done almost all the switches now, and only have the rear window switches, the lighting switch and the cigarette lighter illumination to do.

More info here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=32103

I'm not surprised the eBay kit was no use... there isn't a kit for the ZT that will work, simply because there are no bulbs or standard LEDs to replace! The primary lighting for all the instruments is provided by surface mounted LEDs of various types, and these all require detailed soldering.

Last edited by calibrax; 10th February 2009 at 23:52..
Old 10th February 2009, 23:48   #39
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
Or maybe I am. Steve fancy a little project - seem to have collected a box of spare switches etc
Kinda tied up with work stuff at the mo Colin, and I'm flying off to Houston next week... but sure, I'd be happy to give it a shot when I get back.

Old 11th February 2009, 18:57   #40
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

Quote:
Kinda tied up with work stuff at the mo Colin, and I'm flying off to Houston next week... but sure, I'd be happy to give it a shot when I get back.
Nice one - let me know when you're back