Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st January 2016, 13:13   #41
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire View Post
I find it shocking that someone can do this kind of work, without apparently doing it, are potentially putting people's lives at risk. How do they sleep at night? I fully commend you for deciding to bring this situation to light, particularly as it's hassle you don't need.

I look forward to hearing the result, in your favour of course. This engineer/company needs to be reported to all caravan orientated magazines and clubs if they do not carry out work to agreed standards.

Martyn
I am worried now,as I had a service done by this person in 2014,it was me who recommended him to Keith,as I was at the time well pleased with his service, and Keith was storing his van next to mine. However having been filled in on some"finer details " of caravan servicing by Keith, who was informed of a certain procedure that needed to be done during brake service,by someone else,I will be making sure I get it thoroughly checked when it gets serviced in spring,by another company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy-dials.com View Post
Sounds like this guy has been through the courts before by his last minute holding action.... have you thought about contacting rouge traders off of the tv.?
That may well happen yet.
Old 1st January 2016, 14:13   #42
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire View Post
I find it shocking that someone can do this kind of work, without apparently doing it, are potentially putting people's lives at risk. How do they sleep at night? I fully commend you for deciding to bring this situation to light, particularly as it's hassle you don't need.

I look forward to hearing the result, in your favour of course. This engineer/company needs to be reported to all caravan orientated magazines and clubs if they do not carry out work to agreed standards.

Martyn
This sort of thing is rife in the service industry, all the service industries whether the customer is an individual or a large company, whether the company proving the service is a sole trader or a large company.

I have personal experience (misfortune to have worked for) a large service industry company, 'doing work' for another large company - what they didn't do, but charged for was absolutely shocking to my mind.

There is good profit to be made from ticking boxes. The best bet is to service it yourself, if at all possible, you know it has been done right then.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 1st January 2016 at 14:18..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 11:03   #43
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Thanks everyone, just to clarify everything has now been done and prepared for court. During my research i did discover numerous poor customer reviews on various sites. I also discovered a CCJ issued this year against the company also a case that is currently open with trading standards. Evidence to say this is not an isolated incident.

With regards to rectifying the work, i purchased new microswitches for the taps a new regulator for the gas, and the window now has a brand new seal fitted, supplied from Seals Direct and leak fixed without sealants etc..... Thankfully the counter top that had swollen with water ingress has now dried out and no permanent damage.

Finally STEVEO; I refer to a further post, I have gone on to say, if my case is successful I Will name both the 'company and it's owner/engineer' on the basis of interest to other members and their safety. This will not be done lightly but will be legal as if a successful result it will then be quoted as 'Case Law'

So now we sit and wait, roll on the 18th

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 11:11   #44
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Thumbs up

I wish you well, and look forward to a positive result.
Regards,
Martyn
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 12:16   #45
steveo

None

Default Pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
Thanks everyone, just to clarify everything has now been done and prepared for court. During my research i did discover numerous poor customer reviews on various sites. I also discovered a CCJ issued this year against the company also a case that is currently open with trading standards. Evidence to say this is not an isolated incident.

With regards to rectifying the work, i purchased new microswitches for the taps a new regulator for the gas, and the window now has a brand new seal fitted, supplied from Seals Direct and leak fixed without sealants etc..... Thankfully the counter top that had swollen with water ingress has now dried out and no permanent damage.

Finally STEVEO; I refer to a further post, I have gone on to say, if my case is successful I Will name both the 'company and it's owner/engineer' on the basis of interest to other members and their safety. This will not be done lightly but will be legal as if a successful result it will then be quoted as 'Case Law'

So now we sit and wait, roll on the 18th
Keith
PM sent
Regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 03:09   #46
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Threads merged as they are related

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 19:20   #47
kc13661

Freelander Td4

Default Legal Action Complete

For anyone that has followed my postings, today my sage came to a close. In August 2014 a Mobile Caravan Service Engineer was recommended to me to carry out a full service, on communicating with this person I pointed out that I wanted a ‘Full’ service and some damp issues looking at, some will remember one of my issues was the kitchen tap did not work and was identified as a faulty microswitch.
Anyway the guy turned up and the keys were handed over to him and he was left to his own devices, the keys to be returned when the worked was finished. So he looked at the van and said it required an ‘Overseal’ explaining to me that this was the best route to sort out the damp issue, the total cost of the work would be around £300 is included the service work, the replacement microswitch and the overseal.
So upon the return of the van I found the tap still not working, the gas regulator was leaking gas into the inside of the caravan and the overseal was purely run a line of sealant over the top of the old seal.
In 1985 I lost a brother through a faulty Calor gas appliance so I was not in a good place when I discovered the gas was leaking and my wife was inside the van, thankfully she never ignited the cooker, because of this I refused to allow this engineer anywhere near my van again not even to rectify the faults.
After some deliberation I chose to try and recover my money a total of £296 through the process of the small claims in the county court. Originally I was granted a full judgement against the engineer for amount claimed, however after a period of time and the transfer of the judgement to Newcastle to allow he further steps of recovery, I went to apply for a warrant of control, at this point the defendant placed an appeal and the court allowed a hearing for his appeal, at this time the judge granted the judgement to be set aside for a defence hearing.
So today I had to sit in the court and put my case across to a judge, a case that was identifying that I believed the contract was for a full service and the engineer had failed in this, I also asked that the claim included the cost of the Overseal as this was not an adequate solution as described to rectify a damp issue. I showed that the engineer had failed to fit the microswitch and that raised my concerns, and showed photo’s that in my opinion owed the wheels had not been removed, I also proved that the engineer had not replaced the One Shot nuts that hold the hub in place. I produced photographs that showed the damp had got worse. I also produced extensive evidence that showed poor reviews against the engineer from other parties, evidence that shows that he has been expelled from the Approved Workshop Scheme due to poor reviews, and evidence that showed that he had blatantly lied regarding his position in the company as to not face his consequences.
However the Judge found that albeit he accepted the content of the claim, he could not enforce the judgement for the full amount, immediately he dismissed the claim for the overseal as he had actually applied sealant over the top so technically had carried out an overseal. He then looked at the claim for the service and stated that albeit I had produced extensive paperwork outlaying my claim I was not in possession of official documentation to say he failed to carry out any service work.
So the Judge summed up by setting a Judgement against the engineer for a partial refund, the refund is for Failing to meet his contractual obligation in replacing the microswitch and also failing to carry out his duty in a safe manner, by leaving the caravan unsafe regarding the gas. On top of this he judge granted partial costs on my behalf and the engineer was instructed formally that as of today a Judgement is in place for him to pay me the amount set by the court and allowed him fourteen days to make payment.

So at last the case is over, but until payment is made the saga is not yet concluded, what did disgust me was the fact that this man blatantly shrugged his responsibility by lying saying that he was only an employee of the company when in fact he was the owner of the company as a sole trader who has since become a limited company.
I am also shocked that he stated in court that he had serviced the brakes, yet blatantly denied that the hubs on the BPW hubs do not require ‘One Shot Nuts’ this from a registered Caravan Service Engineer.

So finally I can now say that if anyone in the North East or North West is looking for work to be carried out on their caravan or motorhome then please avoid using North Tyne Mobile Caravan Clinic Ltd, please do not take my word for this, check out the company’s reviews. Oh and failing this if anyone wishes to you can find the judgement registered at Newcastle County Court under Case Number A8QZ083T
Also to clarify I have already spoken to Admin regarding this post and I have complied with their instruction, everything said here is true and factual.

If anyone is unsure of how an overseal fails to solve the problem, please see the photo’s attached…..this is what I was left with!

Original Damp Patch:

This is the Overseal, failing;note the sealant cracking

Photo taken after the overseal was done and patch gets worse;

and finally the extent of the damage due to damp still getting into the van

The caravan is in the process of been repaired correctly now, but this could have been avoided.

I know the said engineer frequents this site and I sincerely hope you are proud of your work !

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional

Last edited by kc13661; 7th May 2016 at 17:34..
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 19:56   #48
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

are they here as a caravan trader?
we can have post saying how good someone is, I see no problem with having a post like this, its only fair so well done for pursuing and posting a heads up

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 19:57   #49
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

The caravan is in the process of been repaired correctly now, but this could have been avoided.

I know the said engineer frequents this site and I sincerely hope you are proud of your work ![/QUOTE]

Or lack of it more like Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
are they here as a caravan trader?
we can have post saying how good someone is, I see no problem with having a post like this, its only fair so well done for pursuing and posting a heads up

macafee2
Its taken almost 2 years, but hats off to Keith for pursuing it all the way.

Last edited by Dragrad; 8th May 2016 at 01:28.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit or Multi-quote :-)
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 20:38   #50
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Its taken almost 2 years, but hats off to Keith for pursuing it all the way.
I'd have been pursuing the engineer with a large pointed stick, what a clown of a tradesman, that's got to be one of the worst bodge jobs I've ever heard of Keith. Good on yer for not letting him get away with it.