Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th July 2012, 20:39   #51
Brabus
This is my second home

01 75 tourer cdt,1973 Rover 3500S,,1974 Rover 3500 Auto,1998 216 SE Coupe, 1968 Morris Minor 1000

Great thread.A job I must do to my tourer now when I get back from my hols.This would make a great how to.
121st 75 Tourer to be made
15th 75 Tourer CDT Club SE to be made
36th 75 Tourer in Zircon Silver Metallic to be made

Membership No 903

I was one of the 541
Brabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 21:13   #52
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneM View Post
Well was reading this with interest last week and had it down on my to-do list.
Come Sunday (08/07/12), after another night of incessant rain, got into the V8 to go shopping, and my wife noticed the squelch underfoot. Passenger side completely water-logged! Think it must've been happening for a while as since I've owned the ZT-T, (about six months), have noticed that the windows steam up far more readily than my 75 in wet weather.

Just a couple of questions;

Arctic did you cut off the ends of the one way valves at the end of the wheel well drain tubes?
Has anyone got away with not stripping the interior?

I don't mind having a go at the tube union mod, but don't have the space under cover to dry out the carpets and store the seats, console, Sat-Nav etc, etc.
If it's a negative to the later, then I'll have to hand the job of stripping and drying out over to my trusted garage as they have the space and time to do this.

Finally, thanks Arctic for a really explicit and in-depth post, these things make a lot of difference to us types who are keen to do, but unsure of how to.

Eugene.

Hi Eugene.
Sorry to hear you have the sunroof woes, but you can bet that this as been leaking over a long period of time as i stated this would not just happen over a few days or overnight, it will only show once the underfoam on the carpet can no longer take or soak up any more water, i am also sorry to say if you just peel back the carpet edge running parallel with the passenger front and rear sill you will see the water and i would say when am suggesting you take out the carpet mine as been out for week now and still not dry i ended up buying a gazibo to store the seats and carpet in etc and taking them out out when the sun came out to dry a garage may well have an heater to dry the carpet out, again i can not reiterate enough if your carpets are dry and you do not have a leak yet and have a sunroof do this mod asap but do not just rely on feeling the carpet to see if it is dry peel it back for your own piece of mind Arctic.

PS i have as yet not cut of the ducks bil ends of the one way valves at the end of the wheel well drain tubes as i think pushing the connectors through more than the 10mm/15mm which rover had done with the tube it may have opened the end i yet to take a look if not i will more than likely cut the end off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC11807.jpg (126.9 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11808.jpg (120.3 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11809.jpg (127.3 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11944.jpg (129.7 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11946.jpg (131.4 KB, 401 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 2nd February 2020 at 08:14.. Reason: thumbnails enlarged
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 23:56   #53
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Steve, that is a fantastic piece of work, and illustrates perfectly what needs to be done. I have copied all four sections into a new thread in the 'How To - Car Interior' section for future reference. Many thanks for all the work you put into this

How To - Sunroof Drain Tubes Leak Solved

Last edited by Dragrad; 9th January 2016 at 01:29.. Reason: Link re-established as the original did not work
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 00:12   #54
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
Steve, that is a fantastic piece of work, and illustrates perfectly what needs to be done. I have copied all four sections into a new thread in the 'How To - Car Interior' section for future reference. Many thanks for all the work you put into this

How To - Sunroof Drain Tubes Leak Solved
Hi Paul.
Great my pleasure but not one i really needed but at least we now know and it could save other all the work of stripping the interior out if it is caught in good time, as this does not happen over night i personally think it is an accumulation of leaking over a long period could be years months depending how blocked the outlet tube is and for how long it's been blocked. Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 14th July 2012, 00:48   #55
Reebs
Owners Club Director

I actually spent the day today emptying out about 2 kettle fulls of water from under the carpets of my new tourer. They too were soaking I don't have a sunroof however, so the water must be getting in elsewhere.

It was only on the drivers side front and rear, and as I don't have a torx screwdriver big enough to remove the seats, had to keep the carpets in, and vacuum up the water underneath. But you are right about how much liquid the foam backing holds.

Now the car is dry, and the carpets have been given a good airing in situ. I've got her tucked up in the garage with the windows down and that's where she'll stay until her MOT on Monday when they are going to investigate the leak and check the plenums.

I did give both sides a good rodding when I bought the car about 2 months ago, but I don't know how long the water had been accumiliating. It might just have been all this rain, or it might have been the pressure washer used to clean her a couple of weeks ago
Old 14th July 2012, 01:00   #56
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
I actually spent the day today emptying out about 2 kettle fulls of water from under the carpets of my new tourer. They too were soaking I don't have a sunroof however, so the water must be getting in elsewhere.

It was only on the drivers side front and rear, and as I don't have a torx screwdriver big enough to remove the seats, had to keep the carpets in, and vacuum up the water underneath. But you are right about how much liquid the foam backing holds.

Now the car is dry, and the carpets have been given a good airing in situ. I've got her tucked up in the garage with the windows down and that's where she'll stay until her MOT on Monday when they are going to investigate the leak and check the plenums.

I did give both sides a good rodding when I bought the car about 2 months ago, but I don't know how long the water had been accumiliating. It might just have been all this rain, or it might have been the pressure washer used to clean her a couple of weeks ago
Hi Paul.
Ask them to check the scuttle fixings which the scuttle clips fit into under the front window scuttle its self, silicon them if need be with 151 roof & gutter sealant will be doing both my cars as soon as its a dry day, or as always check the rear vents but i would have thought you would have water in the spare wheel well if they were leaking and as you state only drivers side please let us know if you find out the cause cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 14th July 2012, 01:10   #57
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Yes will do Steve. The spare wheel well is dry as a bone (my first port of call with the video module and radio tuner being there), I did notice that the rear drivers side door mounted rubber seal has come adrift around door handle height, it just needs sticking back to the body of the door in that section, but judging by the lack of water around the door itself, I had kind of ruled that out.

The wettest areas of all were at the base of the seatbelt anchoring bolt and the section directly behind the under seat heater vent. Thankfully none of the seat electrics, or airbag wiring have been affected in any way
Old 15th July 2012, 09:58   #58
Dominic22
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V8 Plus Others

I am not sure if this is V8 specific or Mk2 Specific. But my Carpets at the front are split into 2 (see below, others attached). Not sure the connectors I have are correct but will give it a go. Not even close to as much water as Steve's but very wet in there..... Easier to let dry though as 2 torx bolts so carpet can slip off the front then keep up to (hopefully dry)

Last edited by Dominic22; 15th July 2012 at 10:31..
Dominic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 11:05   #59
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

As far as I'm aware, the 75 V8 has separate front and rear carpet with a 1 inch overlap .
The 260's are all in one piece.
WHY is anybody's guess. (something to do with Auto box I suspect)?

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 21:12   #60
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Hi Dominic.
if you have water in the front foot well itwill most certainly be in the rear foot well, as it runs that way naturally due to how the floor pan is made it as took me 10 solid days to dry mine out because of the bad weather, if the sun had been out more i think it would or could still have taken a least 5 days using the natural way sun and wind etc but with your still in situ i think it will take longer and you will have to mop up the water as it drains from the carpet.

The connectors you need are 5/8 or 16mm either from halfords or the bay but if you can get to mine i have some Arctic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC11789.jpg (107.9 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11944.jpg (129.7 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11946.jpg (131.4 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11960.jpg (115.4 KB, 354 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 2nd February 2020 at 08:15.. Reason: thumbnails enlarged