Closed Thread

Old 24th June 2020, 13:09   #51
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
On the other hand, on that thread about a Vera Lynn statue, one contributor (#13) sought to elevate the importance of erecting a statue to a singer above the national debate on commemoration of slave traders ... and nobody challenged that. Personally, I’m much more concerned that a section of people in our society feel that their prospects to succeed are harmed by the colour of their skin than by the need to remember a singer with a statue.

Well you put your spin on it. And you're entitled to your opinion, I do wonder why you didn't respond directly to the post that you didn't like on that thread if you felt so strongly about it.
Myself, I can be concerned about both issues without detracting one from the other.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Old 24th June 2020, 14:27   #52
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Well you put your spin on it. And you're entitled to your opinion, I do wonder why you didn't respond directly to the post that you didn't like on that thread if you felt so strongly about it.
Myself, I can be concerned about both issues without detracting one from the other.
I'm wary of starting anything on this forum - had my fingers burned in the past. Probably time for me to take another couple of years' sabbatical from the OC...
Old 24th June 2020, 15:35   #53
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Interesting thread and a revealing diversion about taking offence on page 4. I can’t see why ‘simple minded morons’ in this context is offensive? On the other hand, on that thread about a Vera Lynn statue one contributor (#13) sought to elevate the importance of erecting a statue to a singer above the national debate on commemoration of slavtraders ... and nobody challenged that. Personally, I’m much more concerned that a section of people in our society feel that their prospects to succeed are harmed by the colour of their skin than by the need to remember a singer with a statue.

Perhaps a little perspective is a good thing in each case? Idiots breaking lockdown to have a rave and the organisers clearly profiting from the situation is something that will cause great concern among a vulnerable population. The contributor was quite restrained in his description of these people. I’ve been working throughout the Covid situation in my joint health and social care role and I’ve seen the impact this devastating virus has Had on individuals, families and communities. To do anything that risks spreading the virus is not only dangerous and irresponsible but should be treated as a crime of violence.

The government’s response has been wholly inadequate from the beginning with the exception of the furlough scheme. They’ve been playing catch-up since they failed to act promptly back in late February and early March. The example that Cummings set during his Durham trip dismayed us working in health and care, as we knew it would open the flood gates. Numbers are falling now because very many of the most vulnerable have already died. Lockdown is now effectively over and it’s down to us, as individuals, to keep ourselves safe.

But please take it from me - working as part of an exhausted Covid response team - you are NOT SAFE YET. Take nothing for granted. Be responsible.
Can't find anything that does what you say, care to elaborate? Ambiguous aspersions are their own offence.
Old 24th June 2020, 16:50   #54
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Can't find anything that does what you say, care to elaborate? Ambiguous aspersions are their own offence.
I think you’ll find that the debate about ‘promoting slavery’ is not ‘some rubbish’ that offends ‘snowflakes’ but is a massively overdue opportunity to address the barbarity on which much of the nation’s wealth was built and, as a consequence of which, we are still able to maintain a disillusion of global influence as a nation.

Vera Lynn, on the other hand, entertained troops during WW2, a duty she shared with Gracie Fields, George Formby and Tommy Handley, among many others. I don’t hear a clamour for them to have statues erected in Trafalgar Square because they’re long dead. Lynn lived a long and happy life, was clearly a lovely lady and has now died. I have nothing against her but elevating the importance of this above the need to remove the symbolism of imperialistic brutality and systematic murder of Africans in the name of wealth is, to me at least, disproportionate.

I hope that’s suitably unambiguous for you?
Old 24th June 2020, 16:54   #55
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

Over and out. See you in a couple of years’ time.
Old 24th June 2020, 17:46   #56
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Well received my second shielding letter from good old Matt yesterday. To be honest there is no real change for us, so we'll carry on as we have been until the beginning of August. Even then I doubt we will be packing into the pubs/restaurants/supermarkets etc., time will tell what we shall do long term.

This has been an immensely difficult time to be in charge, both here and abroad. Whatever individual country governments have done they have been criticised, but when faced with something on this scale, mistakes and poor decisions have been made by all. However, we should remember, that none of this would have happened if a certain society had been somewhat more diligent in their approach to personal hygiene and animal welfare standards. They are the ones who should be held accountable.

Last edited by Borg Warner; 24th June 2020 at 18:13..
Old 24th June 2020, 18:31   #57
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
I think you’ll find that the debate about ‘promoting slavery’ is not ‘some rubbish’ that offends ‘snowflakes’ but is a massively overdue opportunity to address the barbarity on which much of the nation’s wealth was built and, as a consequence of which, we are still able to maintain a disillusion of global influence as a nation.

Vera Lynn, on the other hand, entertained troops during WW2, a duty she shared with Gracie Fields, George Formby and Tommy Handley, among many others. I don’t hear a clamour for them to have statues erected in Trafalgar Square because they’re long dead. Lynn lived a long and happy life, was clearly a lovely lady and has now died. I have nothing against her but elevating the importance of this above the need to remove the symbolism of imperialistic brutality and systematic murder of Africans in the name of wealth is, to me at least, disproportionate.

I hope that’s suitably unambiguous for you?
Wow. What a blast! To answer your question, no, your reply was not unambiguous! You still have not answered the question. By the tone of your reply, it must have offended you. I regret that, it seemed a reasonable question to ask, given your strong post.

Your quoting of promoting slavery/some rubbish/snowflakes is inappropriate in that I can’t find such language on here, at least certainly not in the strong terms you suggest and continue to wonder from where it so vehemently came! Indeed, I can’t find any references on this forum conflating the two issues you feel are being given equivalence.

In my 10 years I have never seen such derogatory statements made and I was not contesting your view or opinion, merely asking for sources – not in any way unusual or out of order. You now appear to be reluctant to provide a background with reference to those statements being, as you intimated, from this forum and the thread involved, and now threaten to retire for two years!

That’s a shame. I would have thought you would have at least waited for an answer to your last question even if you refuse to adequately answer those asked of you. I can only presume you dislike being asked to provide legitimate evidence to back your opinions. You were not being challenged, just asked to explain.
Old 24th June 2020, 18:38   #58
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

Just because someone let me know that the source couldn’t be found. I don’t like loose ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC3CDFEC-903D-4AFF-8EAA-6525EFEBFDC6.jpg (21.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 24th June 2020, 19:05   #59
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

See the daily infection rate is falling, must be good news:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Also the economic decline may not be as bad as predicted - also good news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53164304

However:

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-la...ate/a-53919644

Interesting:

https://www.france24.com/en/20200623...-million-users

Interesting table:

https://www.ined.fr/en/everything_ab...births-deaths/

Just bought a book - Britain's War Against the Slave Trade. It depicts the operations of the Royal Navy's West Africa Squadron 1807-1867.

God Bless the Royal Navy.

Last edited by Borg Warner; 24th June 2020 at 19:10..
Old 24th June 2020, 19:07   #60
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
Just because someone let me know that the source couldn’t be found. I don’t like loose ends.
Thank you for that James. No ambiguity now! My word, how easy is it to take offence! Maybe it's the blessed internet again!

It turns out there was no comparison by equivalence being made, it was a throwaway comment about a rabble destroying public property that was being led by far left political activists. That's the problem with committed and unmovable political dogma, and obviously why there are rules against it. Maybe it was just me, and my inability to 'get' you! But all you were asked to do was....answer the question. However, no offence taken!