Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10th November 2011, 22:07   #51
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Correcting the original U, welding the old pin back in and welding up the U is much faster than that!

Sounds like you are having fun
Hi Harry
the times are for fitting the modifed compensator in the car not for modifying it that can take days as i have to wait for them to be returned can usualy take apart and put back together the compensators in about 14mins once i have set up the drill grinder etc but tend to try and do in batches of 5 or more still not convinced of the original chocolate U bend as my welded one since fitting as moved from the 3/4 notches to 5/6 with a good pull but am going to keep it on till after winter and check it out will report back then with photo,s as always i/we know stainless Steel will not stretch . Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Old 10th November 2011, 22:11   #52
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Harry
the times are for fitting the modifed compensator in the car not for modifying it that can take days as i have to wait for them to be returned can usualy take apart and put back together the compensators in about 14mins once i have set up the drill grinder etc but tend to try and do in batches of 5 or more still not convinced of the original chocolate U bend as my welded one since fitting as moved from the 3/4 notches to 5/6 with a good pull but am going to keep it on till after winter and check it out will report back then with photo,s as always i/we know stainless Steel will not stretch . Arctic
Mine (welded) has not budged since fitting.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 10th November 2011, 22:15   #53
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Excellent development Steve,see you shortly

Old 10th November 2011, 22:23   #54
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Excellent development Steve,see you shortly

HI Mick
Yes see you the weekend one set aside for you.

Still waiting on a few from October boys check the list out below see if you are on it or not so i know i am not thank you again for your co-operation with out you it could not work cheers Arctic.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4&postcount=30

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Old 13th November 2011, 11:09   #55
robzilla
Regular poster

ZT Saloon 1.8T+

Default Help!

Right chaps, got my modified compensator and am attempting to fit. Some numpty who had the car before me has tightened the adjuster nut at the hand brake way too far and its not coming up. It's either cross threaded or its just biting into the non-threaded part and going round and round. If I can't loosen this I can't get the old compensator off. Thoughts?
Old 13th November 2011, 11:22   #56
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Rob you are going to need a new front brake cable and nut by the sound of it so why not cut through the cable? Or hold the cable with a pair of mole wrenches and undo it that way.

That is the reason the book says not to overtighten the cable nut, as it ends up damaging the handbrake mechanism where it grips the square section part of the cable. You may be able to bend this back into shape but if not then a trip to the breakers for a new handbrake may be needed.

Mike
Old 13th November 2011, 11:33   #57
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Double nut the end of the thread, holding these will then allow you to slacken the original nut. fiddly but very do-able

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 13th November 2011, 11:36   #58
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by robzilla View Post
Right chaps, got my modified compensator and am attempting to fit. Some numpty who had the car before me has tightened the adjuster nut at the hand brake way too far and its not coming up. It's either cross threaded or its just biting into the non-threaded part and going round and round. If I can't loosen this I can't get the old compensator off. Thoughts?
Use a nut splitter or hacksaw to remove the old nut, when the new compensator is fitted the new nut will be using a different section of thread.
Old 13th November 2011, 11:44   #59
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robzilla View Post
That's what happens, when some numpty has screwed the nut to where the thread finishes and the rod widens out to the shoulder, unfortunately. It will be so tight, that if you try to screw tte nut off, the hole adjuster plus thread will just turn.

You need to find a way to hold the thread / adjuster, whilst turning the nut, either holding it at the back of the handbrake, or at the front where the nut is. A quarter turn will free it.

Some one found a way to do it and posted it in the forum - I'll see if I can find it.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 13th November 2011, 13:25   #60
robzilla
Regular poster

ZT Saloon 1.8T+

The thread doesn't turn when I try and turn the adjuster nut - it is held in place because where the thread ends it widens out into a square section which passes through a square section in the handbrake lever.

The adjuster nut is past the threaded section (well, not fully) and is biting into the square section. I think it has cut a nice little groove for itself and is just spinning now.

In the process of hacksawing the little ******* off. If I ever get my hands on the ******* numpty who over-tightened it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: IT'S OFF!!!!! Hallelujah!! Now to re-assemble the whole lot....!

Last edited by robzilla; 13th November 2011 at 13:49..
Closed Thread