Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th September 2023, 20:19   #651
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Funeral of a friend.

One of the many friends I have made here in Saltash has sadly, and totally unexpected, taken the hands of the angels. Pete was in in his 70’s and a ex-ZT owner. He gave me loads of bits after he had scrapped his car. Brand new, never been used spanner’s, some magazines and thick microfibre cloth.

He often walked past with his wife and their wire haired terrier called Ted. And if I was out in the garden or washing the cars he would always stop and chat. Ted the terrier would sit then roll on his side to grab a few zzzz’s whilst we chatted. Pete’s wife had the earlier symptoms of dementia, but she always greeted me with one word, “Banana”.

I only found out a couple of days ago that he had passed. Came as a shock to me. And I found out that 10 days ago his wife went into a home as Pete could no longer look after her. They had no children but Pete has a sister who lives in Callington. It was her that knocked at my door to inform me. It was the first time I had met her. I invited her in and we had a long chat over a pot of tea. She asked me if I would speak at the funeral, date to be set, and I said I hardly knew Pete so didn’t really know anything about his past. I knew he worked at Devonport in the naval base but no idea what he did.

Turns out he served in the navy, that’s where he met his wife. She was a Wren. They both served for over 20:years. Amazing what you find out about people after they have gone. He was a navigational officer, and serving on an operational warship. I wish I had really got to know him and found out more but I thought he just worked in the dockyard. He would often say his job was boring so I never asked anymore. His wife was a medical officer, her rank was above her husband’s.

Pete’s sister, Bethan or Beth, took out a phone. Not hers but Pete’s and near enough every photo in the gallery was of Banana, a few of the Bear, one or two of Redfive and one of Allen’s 75 “Ratty”. Apparently he often spoke about me and Banana. He had wanted a ride in Banana but never asked me, for whatever reason. If he had asked then a ride would have been given.

I said yes I would speak at the funeral. I need to get some of his naval history sorted out. Beth said she will pass on any information I wanted.
I asked about Ted the terrier, Beth said that she had taken him on, but if I wanted then he could be mine. Sadly I had to say no. I will,one day get another dog but not yet.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2023, 20:35   #652
Raven Black
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Default Bob

Shame, so sorry to read about this Bob, but you weren't to know. Maybe think about taking the dog, if it's a nice one and won't end up being a pain.
All the best till next meet.
Cheers
Old 19th September 2023, 20:40   #653
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Sorry to read this Bob, he sounded like a proper Gent.

God's speed.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 19th September 2023, 20:41   #654
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
I need to get some of his naval history sorted out.
You may be able to get some info from the below now he has passed.
https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ervice-records

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2023, 14:26   #655
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

I’m now not speaking at Pete’s funeral as a couple of his ex-shipmates are going to tell some funny, but clean stories on the day. No date has been set as there are a couple of people that want to attend and are in the process of organising their flight back from Tasmania. Not sure if they live there or are on holiday.

As for Ted the terrier he will be stopping with Beth as he has had a lot to deal with, losing both his owners plus losing his home. He is currently off of his food. But the vet said he just needs to get used to his new home. He knows Beth so that’s not a worry.

onen hag oll
Old 26th September 2023, 15:08   #656
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Cornwall Council are quick off the mark, when it suits them. I reported an abandoned car, Skoda Fabia, parked by the garages. Been there 9 months. No tax, no MOT and no insurance. No drivers window but covered with an old towel, 4 flat tyres and weeds growing through the body.

Anyway I reported this morning and I got phone this afternoon from a very nice chap informing me that the car had already been reported and should be gone by the 30th of this month.

Last Saturday I had a chance meeting with our local councillor, Martin Worth, and I asked him about the orphan land at the front of the house. He informed me that Cornwall Council are preparing to sell off the plots of orphan land. So I had to submit a request to him via email and he has added my name to the list of potential bidders. Some of the plots have been selling for as little as Ł1. Hopefully we can then cut the tree back and I’ll be able to park Banana in the allocated parking space.

Pete’s funeral will be held on the 3rd of October. I’ll be going along with about 40 odd people attending. Mostly Royal Navy personnel, seems he made a lot of friends on the high seas. 2 fellow shipmates will be speaking along with his sister, Beth. And the wake will be at our local pub.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 28th September 2023, 19:59   #657
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Given a key to let the delivery men in, but…………..

……………………. What about the loopy dog.

My neighbours across the road were having new furniture delivered but would be at work, so I was asked if I could let the guys in. No problem for me. I had arranged to go out with my walking buddy, Marion, and I knew she wouldn’t mind if we cut our walk short.
I explained to Marion about our shortened walk, and she suggested that we could go to Saltmill Park here in Saltash and if we had time a cuppa in the Ashtorre club.

Turned out a good walk, 2 laps of the park and we had increased our speed. Our first visit a couple of weeks ago and it took us 50 minutes to do the two laps, and today we did it in 35 minutes. So time to drive to Waterside. A walk from the Union Inn and up to Brunei Green and back as far as the Ashtorre Club for tea. We sat outside on the veranda and chatted. What I thought of mild mannered Marion has proven me wrong. She has certainly lead an exciting, and mischievous, life.

I dropped a Marion off and parked the Fiesta off. Indoors for a cuppa and to wait for the delivery wagon.
They arrived at 13.30, and it was only then I thought about Chester, the loopy Retriever. So I had a plan, I would open the outer door and step into the porch and close the door behind me. I had explained to the delivery team about the dog. Chester was waiting behind the inner front door, and he was excited to see me as he must have thought that I was the new dog walker.

But I managed to entice him out into the back garden with a couple of treats. Once he was munching I got back in and closed the patio door, and locked it. Chester was not amused and barked, and barked and tried his level best to get back in. But the door was locked.
The delivery guys brought the two chairs and matching foot stools in. Then they unpacked everything and fitted the feet on. Meanwhile Chester was still barking. I didn’t want to let him in as he would be confused by all the strange people in the house.

But the guys worked quickly and efficiently to get the chairs and foot stools assembled. I signed for the work, and the guys left taking all the packing with them. I shut the outer door, then the inner door. Then I opened the patio door and in shot Chester at Warp Factor 3 and a bit.
I soon had his attention when I open the treats box. I got him to sit and gave him a few treats. I gradually walked towards his bed where I got his tug rope out.
Blooming knackered me playing with him but he settled down and I was able to leave without any further hassles.

Gerry came home from work at 14.30, he had to knock on my door for his key to get back in. His first words were, “oh! I see you have been playing with Chester”. It was only then did I notice I was covered in dogs hairs.

I love being a neighbour.

onen hag oll
Old 28th September 2023, 20:44   #658
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

With all those dog hairs Bob, you'd better not sit in the yellow beast for a while.

Being asked to speak at someones funeral is an honour, even though you are now a reserve. So nice to be on such friendly terms.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:09   #659
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool A very emotional day.

Pete’s funeral was a very moving and emotional day. Over 50 people attended the crematorium, lots in navy uniform. Seems that Pete although he was retired was still involved with the social side of the Navy.

The two ship mates that spoke at the funeral had us in stitches, some of the things they got up to were hilarious. Beth stood up and spoke about her brother, his caring side. He nursed both his parents in their last days. Looked after his wife till she went into the nursing home. It was thought that Pete had suffered a heart attack but he died in his sleep from natural causes.

Beth went on to talk about Pete’s various hobbies, and she mentioned his love for his MG ZT. And how he became infatuated with Banana. Beth said that when his ZT failed its MOT, Pete decided to give me all his spares and tools. And I have other bits to collect as Beth has found more stuff.

The wake was in our local, and the pub done him proud with a fabulous spread.
I spoke to a lovely lady who turned out to be Pete’s boss when he was stationed on land. And she told me about the time that Pete was brewing homemade wine on the base. He bribed various members of staff to turn a blind eye to his activities. But he got found out and was ordered to tip the brew away. All Pete tipped away was the dregs, as he had already bottled the wine up.

And she told me that she still had two bottles stashed away, as she was one of those he had bribed.
I had taken Banana to the crematorium but had dropped the car off home as I knew I would be drinking some falling down water. Good job I had some photo’s on my phone as I was constantly asked about Banana.

I left about 14.00 and walked home in the glorious sunshine. Got home and changed my clothes, and jet washed the lower patio in the back garden. But my thoughts was with Pete. What a character.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:18   #660
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Sounds like a lovely send off Bob, you can't wish for anything better when the time comes.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk