Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th April 2014, 18:37   #61
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Had another look today.

Removed the hub (the hub nut wasn't on very tight...) and it looked quite dirty so cleaned it (and the sensor) up, but didn't make any difference.

Replaced the hub (genuine MG Rover one off eBay for £80) and tested again and it worked fine. Replacing was much easier than I thought (although I had help!).

Didn't need a new sensor after all so will return.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 12:42   #62
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Getting a similar problem again, where I can push the brake pedal about half way and then it gets "stuck" and won't go any further, as per ABS activation.

I can reproduce this by applying constant brake pressure, slowing, then turning the car about 90°. I then can't brake much harder. It sounds like an odd way of driving, but there's a corner nearby that requires it which made me find it out!

It also happens at low speeds very occasionally when turning and braking.

I've pulled the ABS fuse and it doesn't seem to be happening any more.

I don't think the problem is severe enough to be detected with the traditional "spin the wheels and count the pulses" approach?

The front & rear passenger side hubs are both new.
Old 13th August 2015, 13:09   #63
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Getting a similar problem again, where I can push the brake pedal about half way and then it gets "stuck" and won't go any further, as per ABS activation.

I can reproduce this by applying constant brake pressure, slowing, then turning the car about 90°. I then can't brake much harder. It sounds like an odd way of driving, but there's a corner nearby that requires it which made me find it out!

I don't think the problem is severe enough to be detected with the traditional "spin the wheels and count the pulses" approach?

Yes Jack,the quickest way is checking each sensor in situ first .
(test static and dynamic)...

Good luck

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 13:37   #64
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

As per FrenchMikes suggestion, if it shows up on the road at low speed, it will definitely show up with the count and mark the pulse method, slowly rotating the wheel.

The slower the wheel turns, the more susceptible it is to borderline pulses being missed by the ABS controller. The ultimate test for which, is rotating the wheel by hand and counting or marking on the tyre where the pulse occur.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 13th August 2015 at 13:40..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 15:33   #65
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
As mentioned, the test will pick the fault up but, and I've had this before on my motorcycle, as the weight of the car will be off the wheel when you carry out the check, make sure the cable isn't damaged, or it may work perfectly whilst jacked up and then fault again once on the road.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2015, 19:01   #66
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:

More testing finds a segment missing on the passenger front. It had a new bearing within the last year so I've ordered a sensor instead. Heres hoping...
Old 27th September 2015, 20:13   #67
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Is it missing at the same place every revolution?

If so then it will be the bearing not the sensor.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2015, 20:39   #68
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Is it missing at the same place every revolution?

If so then it will be the bearing not the sensor.
I think it was intermittent, but I'm not 100%.

I'd be amazed if it was the bearing because it's new, and the sensor is original. I've bought one anyway now!
Old 18th October 2015, 17:07   #69
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Replaced the passenger side sensor with one from DMGRS, which hasn't solved the problem, but it has solved the missing segment on the passenger side front.

I've now tested all of the wheels and all segments are present and accounted for. I've tested again with the ABS fuse out and the issue goes away so it's definitely an ABS issue.

The only oddity is that I don't seem to be getting the same output on the drivers side front - it alternates between 0.5-1* on all the other wheels, but between 0.25-0.75 on the drivers side front. I've put some contact cleaner in the connector, but I was thinking maybe I should remove the sensor and clean it up / clean up the mating faces / clean up the bore to see if that improves things?

*I use a cheap analogue multimeter for this kind of work (because it's easier to see the "swing") - but as it's all on one scale I can't work out if I'm looking at the wrong value.
Old 19th October 2015, 13:41   #70
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

I've cleaned the connector up, but it's still giving the lower voltage.

I've tried to remove the sensor, but I'm not confident that it will come out without breaking, so I am unable to clean it unless I'm confident thats the problem.