Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th March 2015, 10:21   #61
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Welcome to the forum and nice choice of first car. I wouldn't have thought it would have been cheap to get this as a first car at all, there is a reason why people get 1.3 litre cars as a first. If I got a R75 as my own it would be prohibitively expensive for me and im 27! (thats why I share! )

Anyway if you are serious about getting a R75, get the diesel as they are not much trouble at all, and knowing that you have a BMW lurking under the bonnet is much fun (as well as ammunition when people come up to me and say "it is only a rover, head gasket, huh huh huh!!!).

But currently it will cost my friend £500 extra to add me as a second party to his insurance as I am wanting to learn to drive (yes I said that correctly, I part own my car with my flatmate and I only have a agricultural license (yes I was a farmer and yes I drive tractors, no body take the biscuit....(if you were stuck behind one between horsley and stroud, in glouceshire around 2005-2009, it was probably me!). But if I got first time insurance for our car it would cost me £.......1500 and as I said before i am 27, so I can't see how you got a rate cheaper than me at nearly half the age!

P.s: I just read through the whole thread and noticed you want to dfo motorway mileage, in that case you should definitely go for the diesel as they get amazing efficiency and milage doing motorway driving (we are just about to take our connie on a europe road trip next month and our car will be excellent no doubt.

The only thing I've had to replace since I got my car is air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, thermostat, PCV filter, EGR bypass, front suspension, all new headlight bulbs and two relays, MAF, fuel pump, one injector, oil change, battery, wheels (they were optional!), ATF fluid change, full brake replacements for both sets of pads and disks, two bushings need replacing now and the exhaust back box is starting to look like swizz cheese! If you can get over these replacements (that really is not much), you should have a fun time (thats not without taking mods into consideration!) My cars been a very bad example, but at 118k I wasn't expecting as much grief as we have so far! (always check your cars history!)

Last edited by maxxpump; 11th March 2015 at 10:36.. Reason: adding stuff
maxxpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 10:56   #62
Kyletrek
Gets stuck in

MG ZT saloon

As I said in my first post the 75/Zt are cheaper to insure than smaller cars or less powerful cars, insurance group doesn't really come into play as much any more it's mainly based on crash statistics, area, type of driving. And they might even take your credit score into account
Kyletrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 20:37   #63
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Well that lasted long, not been on the forum for 2 months
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 20:49   #64
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
Well that lasted long, not been on the forum for 2 months
Blimey! Call the Police!
Old 9th May 2015, 20:50   #65
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Blimey! Call the Police!
Where's the sarcasm button
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 21:06   #66
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

75 Connie SE 1.8 Manual Tourer

Well whether its a wind up or not, the 1.8 rover 75 is cheap to insure, I found that out when it was over £100 cheaper than my rover 45 1.6.....
The insurer had no explaination, other than they suspected the underwriters consider them, a luxury car driven by careful drivers?... who knows.

And Suzublu.. Puch... oh my days.. I had a Puch Maxi when I was 19 to get back and forth work, pedal it like a mad one, and looked a right clown... until a friend told me to put some Supreme Petrol or other in it as it would go faster etc... going up over a local bridge just after filling, I floored it, only to melt the piston was a long pedal home.

Good luck OP, and the 75 is a great choice of car... certainly better than the small pocket rockets for comfort.. but doubt you will get much street cred.. unless you LOWER it like a Member here has.....which looks fab, but will cripple your insurance.
Seafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 16:33   #67
williamwright_20

None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafrost View Post
Well whether its a wind up or not, the 1.8 rover 75 is cheap to insure, I found that out when it was over £100 cheaper than my rover 45 1.6.....
The insurer had no explaination, other than they suspected the underwriters consider them, a luxury car driven by careful drivers?... who knows.

And Suzublu.. Puch... oh my days.. I had a Puch Maxi when I was 19 to get back and forth work, pedal it like a mad one, and looked a right clown... until a friend told me to put some Supreme Petrol or other in it as it would go faster etc... going up over a local bridge just after filling, I floored it, only to melt the piston was a long pedal home.

Good luck OP, and the 75 is a great choice of car... certainly better than the small pocket rockets for comfort.. but doubt you will get much street cred.. unless you LOWER it like a Member here has.....which looks fab, but will cripple your insurance.
Yes indeed

Last edited by williamwright_20; 29th August 2015 at 18:29..
williamwright_20 is offline   Reply With Quote