Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th September 2020, 18:26   #1
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI connoisseur SE auto, 2004

Default Problem starting

Hi,

I have another problem with my car that I really could do with your help with. I'll give a little background history of the problem. So, about 6 years ago I noticed that my car,2004 cdti, would very occasional have problems starting, with this excellent forum I realised that it was the under bonnet fuel pump, which sometimes taping it sprung it into life. I also read that running it on a low fuel tank (which I used to do) puts extra strain on it. So since that time I always run it on a full take and top up when it uses about £20 of fuel, since that time the pump carried on working until early last year where it played up again, so I fitted a new one that I had bought and intended to fit a few years earlier.
Problem solved, well so I thought, about 9 months later the same problem, the car would crank over but not start, it would be intermittent, so sometimes it would work fine, turn the car off and on, no problem, other times I would have to wait a couple of hours before it would start again. So I put this down to another under bonnet fuel pump as in all cases of it not starting their would be no noise from the pump. So I bought another one from a member here who sells after market ones that are supposed to be an improvement on the original, but after about 3 months the same problem and even when sent back for a replacement which yet again I have fitted, this time after about 3 weeks I've just noticed that the same problem with the same symptoms are surfacing again. Please don't tell me it would be dodgy fuel pumps, I surely couldn't have 3 of them. Could this be a crank or Cam sensor problem.?
I've owned this car 13 years and it's been my best car by far, but with my recent problems I'm starting to lose faith in it, especially as I need it for my work here in rural France.
Any ideas what it could be, I'm really hoping it is a simple fix.

Kind regards,

Marc
Old 18th September 2020, 18:52   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

You say that in all cases when it doesn't start there is no noise from the fuel pump.---Then in each case when you fit another pump the engine starts.

Either you have been very unlucky and have had several dud fuel pumps OR when you fit a pump you have disturbed a poor connection which works for a while and after a short time stops working again.

Maybe if you disconnect the electrical supply to the pump then take a lead direct from the battery positive terminal to the terminal on the pump. If this makes it work then it's possible your problem is in the cable that you have temporarily disconnected.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2020, 19:43   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Have you checked that your plenum chamber drains aren't blocked? When it fails to start does the oil pressure warning lamp come on with key to position II as it should?

Worth checking that you actually have power to the fuel pumps - that would at least eliminate your new pump from being the cause if it isn't getting a supply voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseMarc View Post
I also read that running it on a low fuel tank (which I used to do) puts extra strain on it.

Don't believe everything you read - that is nonsense.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 18th September 2020 at 19:49..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2020, 19:48   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Hey, Mike.---Have you noticed we're running neck to neck on forum join dates and posts ??---I'm just a whisker ahead as I joined just before you did.

To the OP. If you solve the problem do come back and tell us what it was.--

PS. MalteseMark, whereabouts are you in FRANCE. ?? I'm in 79.
Old 18th September 2020, 20:03   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Must admit I don't usually notice the stats Jon, but looks like you are right.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2020, 16:19   #6
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseMarc View Post
Hi,

I have another problem with my car that I really could do with your help with. I'll give a little background history of the problem. So, about 6 years ago I noticed that my car,2004 cdti, would very occasional have problems starting, with this excellent forum I realised that it was the under bonnet fuel pump, which sometimes taping it sprung it into life. I also read that running it on a low fuel tank (which I used to do) puts extra strain on it. So since that time I always run it on a full take and top up when it uses about £20 of fuel, since that time the pump carried on working until early last year where it played up again, so I fitted a new one that I had bought and intended to fit a few years earlier.
Problem solved, well so I thought, about 9 months later the same problem, the car would crank over but not start, it would be intermittent, so sometimes it would work fine, turn the car off and on, no problem, other times I would have to wait a couple of hours before it would start again. So I put this down to another under bonnet fuel pump as in all cases of it not starting their would be no noise from the pump. So I bought another one from a member here who sells after market ones that are supposed to be an improvement on the original, but after about 3 months the same problem and even when sent back for a replacement which yet again I have fitted, this time after about 3 weeks I've just noticed that the same problem with the same symptoms are surfacing again. Please don't tell me it would be dodgy fuel pumps, I surely couldn't have 3 of them. Could this be a crank or Cam sensor problem.?
I've owned this car 13 years and it's been my best car by far, but with my recent problems I'm starting to lose faith in it, especially as I need it for my work here in rural France.
Any ideas what it could be, I'm really hoping it is a simple fix.

Kind regards,

Marc
Hello -as you report only non starting as opposed to cut outs/stalling as well it may be worth swopping out the CAM SENSOR ( a failing Crank sensor can cause both non starts and stalling -a Cam sensor failing only causes non starts) -worth changing the cam sensor to start with.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2020, 17:40   #7
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

Thank you guys for your suggestions, will have to investigate further, perhaps the wiring route or the cam sensor. Just another thought in regards to this fault, when the engine is cold, so first thing in the morning it has always started, I don't know if that is any relevance to the specific problem
Old 19th September 2020, 17:44   #8
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

To the OP. If you solve the problem do come back and tell us what it was.--

PS. MalteseMark, whereabouts are you in FRANCE. ?? I'm in 79.[/QUOTE]

Hi Colvert,

I'm not a million miles away from you l, I'm over in dept 87, about half an hour South of limoges
Old 19th September 2020, 18:37   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Post 6 maybe.

When cam sensors start to fail they will usually start a cold engine but not a hot one.
Old 19th September 2020, 19:13   #10
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote