Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th March 2017, 10:00   #11
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post

Read the last comment, I've had to do this most times to get a successful re-set.

Sometimes it is necessary to do an inspection reset before an oil reset.
I've read this instruction many times over the years and tried to understand why it's necessary. What it suggests to me is that the initial light show is basically a smoke and mirrors act. It isn't doing anything 'intelligent' other than providing a fascination factor. It then uses the 'programmed' chip contined in the tool to short out the relevant pins in the OBD socket, much as you do with a paperclip (but hopefully more safely). But the need to do an inspection reset before you can reset the oil service display shows there's no programmed 'understanding' about what the service screen is showing. The tool does a simple fixed time shorting of the pins. So, sometimes it works (Inspection reset) and sometimes not (Oil Reset). I suspect 'Sometimes' actually means 'always'. The original MGR/BMW instructions as set out in RAVE and in the Haynes manual explain why this is if you examine the detail. Also be aware that many Chinese resetting gizmos use a round pin type OBD plug. Pushing this into your precious OBD socket can and has proved unwise.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 24th March 2017 at 10:04..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 18:53   #12
tony062622
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira Auto

Default Obd

Recently used same tool after changing oil and filter, for second time it worked fine. Only thing I hadnt realised until I asked the question on was that it didnt reduce the mileage in single miles it reduces in blocks of 50 mile at a time.

Rover 75 2.0 CDT (131Ps) Conn Saloon Starlight Silver MBB
Fitted inline thermostat. rear discs pads and shoes. New rear springs ,Wiper blades ,Pollen filter, emptied/unblocked plenum, drains , plenum cover fitted. Air filter renewed, new crankcase filter fitted .New exhaust back box fitted, new o rings to intercooler hose, cleaned EGR valve.T4 check (thanks Marinabrian) headlight bulbs changed Sorted air bag warning light (silicone grease to plug and two tie wraps added) Stripped cleaned driver,s door mirrors and window controls, all back together working well.(thanks to the thread on the forum.)Headlights restored. Rear offside bulb holder renewed. Drivers side control arm/wishbone bush replaced. New MOT Oil and Filter change using my new pump what a difference.

This vehicle was the 91,564th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur (135) to be made out of 8,746
This vehicle was the 9,139th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
tony062622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 19:43   #13
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony062622 View Post
Only thing I hadn't realised until I asked the question on was that it didn't reduce the mileage in single miles, it reduces in blocks of 50 mile at a time.
That's because a mile on the service screen is different from a mile on the odometer. The 'service' mile may be longer or shorter than a 'real' mile depending on the driving conditions at the time. It wouldn't be much use if it simply told you when you'd driven 15,000 miles. The OBD calculates the service mileage by aggregating conditions over 40 mile chunks of actual driving.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 24th March 2017 at 19:45..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 19:49   #14
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I bought the Gunson one and it wouldn't reset until below a certain number of miles was showing. Don't know why?
See:-
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=87504
Mike
Update-
I tried again last night with 7500 miles to oil service showing and the Gunson tool actually reset it to 15000.
(Not that I need a reminder as I only do around 3000 miles a year but change the oil and filter before every MOT.)
Mike
Old 24th March 2017, 20:10   #15
Pumpwater
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Firefrost Red

Have now used it to reset four cars following Oil Changes including today on my current project ZT-T 1.8T :~

This is exactly the same as the one I have, tried it again this morning & still nothing, perhaps it's faulty
Sorting out some bent wires for tomorrow
Old 24th March 2017, 21:03   #16
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I don't know why people waste money on these tools. I made mine out of a piece of wood, fitted an electrical switch, and attached two wires to the switch. Do the usual switch on and count the first number of seconds, about 8/9 seconds. Then do the second set at around 16 seconds. Always worked for me. Cost........nothing.
Old 18th August 2019, 22:06   #17
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

My Chinese reset tool does nothing.
MY service Interval indicator is currenty reading 15,800km.
About to try resetting it using TOAF.