Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st August 2018, 23:07   #1
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default DOT your Tyres

I am uploading this thread because today I ordered some new tyres for my FL2 while searching for the same tyres I have on now, I came across the link below which decodes the age of your tyres.

The Dot code will be on the side wall either on the outside of the tyre or on the inside four digits example 0518.

Hope this helps, according to the decoder tyres are supposed to be changed after 6 years regardless of how many miles they have done.

After 10 years they are extremely hazardous.

http://www.tyred.org.uk/decoder

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 11th September 2018 at 08:55.. Reason: Spelling
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 04:05   #2
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Excellent info that we all need to know. Now just waiting for replies similar to the timing belt debate
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 07:34   #3
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I’m surprised tyre age isn’t part of the mot. I see some that are incredibly old, especially older classics that do little miles.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 08:04   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I’m surprised tyre age isn’t part of the mot. I see some that are incredibly old, especially older classics that do little miles.
I agree, I work on some classics with very old tyres and the owners wont replace for two reasons, they are original and you cant get that tread pattern anymore and there is plenty of tread on them with no cracks

I tried to explain to one owner that they are dangerous and he shrugged his shoulders and said ''are you going to pay for a new set then?''

Wasn't there a case of an MGB driver getting killed who had used old original tyres on his car?

Part of the problem for classics is getting a suitable tyre for the vehicle, some sizes are no longer available in some speed ratings or are now only available for vans.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 08:12   #5
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
Excellent info that we all need to know. Now just waiting for replies similar to the timing belt debate
More often than not it is age that is more damaging to tyres than mileage, cars that don't get used that much will tend to suffer from sidewall cracking if they've been standing for any length of time.

Likewise you may be ok with a 15 year old cambelt, or you may not.

I'd be surprised knowing how ZTs at least munch through tyres every 2 or 3 years that you'd find them with tyres over 10 years old anyway

There was a serious coach crash a couple of years ago caused by a tyre that was over 20 years old and when I renewed the tyres on my bus I found one dated from the 80s
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 08:15   #6
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Cheers Arctic.

That's a useful web site.

I'll have a hunt around and see what I come up with.

Watch this space for "How old were the tyres on your car when you bought it" info .

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 08:45   #7
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I am uploading the this thread because today I ordered some new tyres for my FL2 while searching for the same tyres I have on now, I came across the link below which decodes the age of your tyres.

The Dot code will be on the side wall either on the outside of the tyre or on the inside four digits example 0518.

Hope this helps, according to the decoder tyres are supposed to be changed after 6 years regardless of how many miles they have done.

After 10 years they are extremely hazardous.

http://www.tyred.org.uk/decoder
Thanks Steve, I bought 2 new tyres recently and the fitter said he would do the dot codes for me. After the date, he said to throw out the tyres.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 08:56   #8
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Cheers Arctic.

That's a useful web site.

I'll have a hunt around and see what I come up with.

Watch this space for "How old were the tyres on your car when you bought it" info .

Andy.
Also useful to check how old tyres are when you buy them. A year or two back I bought new tyres in Portugal for my motorhome and found one 'new' tyre was 3 years old. I took it back and got it changed. The tyres were a common van size so it was a case of poor stock rotation somewhere along chain. I always check now when I have new tyres fitted.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 08:59   #9
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

And with all that they’re talking about old classics not requiring an MOT, all the more reason I say.

My Wedgewood V6 front tyres are only half worn but will require replacing for MOT as the sidewalls have cracks in them.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 08:59   #10
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Thanks Steve, I bought 2 new tyres recently and the fitter said he would do the dot codes for me. After the date, he said to throw out the tyres.
New or New old stock? Quite a difference, I been at autojumble and seen piles of "new old stock" tyres - judging by the dust on them and they have names like John Bull on them they are more than a few years old...

Thing with tyres is you have no idea how they have been stored, that can have quite an effect on their life.

I'm not sure what the recommended shelf life for tyres is. I work in the railway industry and rubber hoses usually have a 5 year shelf life and 7 or 8 year life from fitting, as I went to the stores for a hose that was already passed it's shelf life.

I've go to bus rallies and you see the tyres on the older buses there and you think - just how old are they, just by looking at the condition of them and some of the names.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote