Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st September 2018, 09:11   #11
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Just checked mine, plenty of tread left though showing signs of perishing, another 36 weeks left! Birthday present next year?
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 09:29   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
Quote:
Also useful to check how old tyres are when you buy them. A year or two back I bought new tyres in Portugal for my motorhome and found one 'new' tyre was 3 years old.
I took it back and got it changed. The tyres were a common van size so it was a case of poor stock rotation somewhere along chain. I always check now when I have new tyres fitted.
HI Tony.
The highlighted section above was the was the reason why I got the tyre place to first order the new tyres for my FL2.

I did not just do a drive in and ask can you change my tyres because as you say how old are they when they are fitted, when I go there yesterday I saw the tyres just inside the fitting bay looked them over first to make sure they were all the same, no rotational ones, but I could not see the DOT number, therefore went in and asked the chap behind the counter have my tyres arrived and can you show me the DOT number on them when was they manufactured.

He turned the tyres over one by one and the DOT was 0518 except one which read 1517 I said that one is almost a year older, I want it changed to same as the others please, his reply was we do not know what date would be on them when they arrive, never the less I said you can surely ring round and ask do you have a tyre same make made this year the week does not really matter, so I am now booked in for Monday to have them changed once again I will be checking before fitting.

The one that are coming of the FL2 are 3713 which make my tyres 4years and 51 weeks old, meaning i have 1 years and 1 weeks left till your tyre is the recommended age of renewal.

They have about 2mm on them at the moment so being as winter is heading our way combined with it's mot next week they are being changed.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 09:34   #13
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post
Just checked mine, plenty of tread left though showing signs of perishing, another 36 weeks left! Birthday present next year?
Hi Martin.
Are all your tyres the same make and tread, what DOT is on them and how many 0mm is on them as new tyres have 8mm.

I wonder if we maybe post up our makes what DOT is on them and the 0mm left we could work out which tyres wear better over the 5 years stated period, I know that all cars are not driven the same and not over the same terrain, but it may give us a little idea

ad altiora tendo.

Old 1st September 2018, 09:49   #14
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Red Rover has Landsail made in china approx. 3mm tread left. One tyre on rear is arrowspeed different tread but around 4mm left. Will change them all next year. Green Rover had a full set of new tyres last June so will be ok.
Old 1st September 2018, 09:51   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post
Red Rover has Landsail made in china approx. 3mm tread left. One tyre on rear is arrowspeed different tread but around 4mm left. Will change them all next year. Green Rover had a full set of new tyres last June so will be ok.
HI Martin.
Do you have the DOT number on them to post what does that say?

http://www.tyred.org.uk/decoder

ad altiora tendo.

Old 1st September 2018, 10:08   #16
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

My wife has a Sept 2005 Corsa, owned from new.
The tyres are the original Continentals having covered over 41000 miles.
Tread still well legal and not a crack or any perishing in sight. The car had MOT a fortnight ago and I asked the inspector about them. He said they would be good for at least another year.
I will say that the car is ALWAYS garaged and I think it could be the lack of sunlight on the tyres that is preventing the perishing.
Similarly, the red paintwork is as fresh as the day it was applied.
How many red Corsas do you see that have gone totally faded and almost pink?Sunlight again.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 10:11   #17
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

The problem, like Steve has encountered, is that all tyre outlets don’t have a say in what they get. Tyres will be ordered by either popular sizes for stock or by special request and they won’t know any date codes until they arrive leaving them with stock. Most people won’t care about the date and cars that are used daily and often will replace their tyres approximately every 2 years anyway so well within the date even if a year old when fitted.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 10:25   #18
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Landsail dot code 2013. Arrowspeed 5013
Old 1st September 2018, 10:39   #19
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
HI Tony.
The highlighted section above was the was the reason why I got the tyre place to first order the new tyres for my FL2.

I did not just do a drive in and ask can you change my tyres because as you say how old are they when they are fitted, when I go there yesterday I saw the tyres just inside the fitting bay looked them over first to make sure they were all the same, no rotational ones, but I could not see the DOT number, therefore went in and asked the chap behind the counter have my tyres arrived and can you show me the DOT number on them when was they manufactured.

He turned the tyres over one by one and the DOT was 0518 except one which read 1517 I said that one is almost a year older, I want it changed to same as the others please, his reply was we do not know what date would be on them when they arrive, never the less I said you can surely ring round and ask do you have a tyre same make made this year the week does not really matter, so I am now booked in for Monday to have them changed once again I will be checking before fitting.

The one that are coming of the FL2 are 3713 which make my tyres 4years and 51 weeks old, meaning i have 1 years and 1 weeks left till your tyre is the recommended age of renewal.

They have about 2mm on them at the moment so being as winter is heading our way combined with it's mot next week they are being changed.
Hi Steve,
As you have found its well worth checking. i'm having two new tyres fitted on Monday so will be doing the same.
Cheers
Tony
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 10:48   #20
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Been out checking DOT codes and, on my wifes Mini, 2 of the tyres do not have the last 4 digits of the code .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote