Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th August 2019, 16:41   #1
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Default GT Exhausts - 1.8t Backbox Update

How'do folks

Over the last couple of days i've noticed my Car was sounding a wee bit unrefined - ok noisy

only really noticeable with the windows down and when getting sound reflections while driving close to walls etc.. - still

I had a look under at the back today - a wee poke with a key exposed a decent size hole and a fair bit of corrosion - in all fairness i was expecting the Backbox to be requiring attention (replacement) soon.

I bought the GT branded (Ireland i think) Backbox for £54 (delivered) in Sept 2016 - so just shy of 3 years - I've covered around 24k miles can't be too bad surely.

what are others thoughts r.e lifespan/cost ? is 3 years "acceptable" for such a part ?

I'm considering buying the same part as it's easy to replace and i was happy with the sound levels.

[IMG][/IMG]

it does sound better now i've cleared the hole and made it bigger

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2019, 18:40   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
How'do folks

Over the last couple of days i've noticed my Car was sounding a wee bit unrefined - ok noisy

only really noticeable with the windows down and when getting sound reflections while driving close to walls etc.. - still

I had a look under at the back today - a wee poke with a key exposed a decent size hole and a fair bit of corrosion - in all fairness i was expecting the Backbox to be requiring attention (replacement) soon.

I bought the GT branded (Ireland i think) Backbox for £54 (delivered) in Sept 2016 - so just shy of 3 years - I've covered around 24k miles can't be too bad surely.

what are others thoughts r.e lifespan/cost ? is 3 years "acceptable" for such a part ?

I'm considering buying the same part as it's easy to replace and i was happy with the sound levels.

[IMG][/IMG]

it does sound better now i've cleared the hole and made it bigger

Paul.
I would want more than that lol. Last GT exhaust I had was about 25 years ago, and lasted til the car was scrapped. (which was only 2 years later - but it was still in good shape). That had around 20,000 miles.

But looking at your subframe, I would say it gets quite a bit of abuse with corrosion, so maybe it is ok for what it is. If you do a lot of short journeys that could help explain it too - not building up enough heat. Maybe some VHT paint for additional protection for the next one.

By the way, it is Northern Ireland so therefore a UK company (you never know, it might matter soon lol)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2019, 20:26   #3
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Don't mention Subframes

when i first purchased this Backbox my thinking was to get through MOT and then consider having a Stainless System fitted - I haven't been able to commit to that yet..... for various reasons

I'd also hope for such things to last a lot longer - the Car did see very little use last year due to Engine issues (now fixed) and there is a lot of (WAY TOO MUCH) Grit used on the roads here during Winter which certainly does not help

I'll have a browse and see what other options are available (it will be later in the week before i can make any purchase) currently i'm still thinking of another GT Backbox, maybe painted with some VHT Paint

my Car is getting to the stage where i'm reluctant to spend too much on these parts (i.e the outlay for a decent Stainless Cat-Back) until I have addressed things like the Rear Subframe and can be confident it's worth the effort.

Paul.
Old 27th August 2019, 20:57   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
Don't mention Subframes

when i first purchased this Backbox my thinking was to get through MOT and then consider having a Stainless System fitted - I haven't been able to commit to that yet..... for various reasons

I'd also hope for such things to last a lot longer - the Car did see very little use last year due to Engine issues (now fixed) and there is a lot of (WAY TOO MUCH) Grit used on the roads here during Winter which certainly does not help

I'll have a browse and see what other options are available (it will be later in the week before i can make any purchase) currently i'm still thinking of another GT Backbox, maybe painted with some VHT Paint

my Car is getting to the stage where i'm reluctant to spend too much on these parts (i.e the outlay for a decent Stainless Cat-Back) until I have addressed things like the Rear Subframe and can be confident it's worth the effort.

Paul.
I think it would be worth the effort, though I would take the car off the road for a couple of weeks to do it. I believe the subframe is actually quite hardy, and if I was doing it again, I wouldnt replace it, but rather refurb it. The arms may need replacing though. Whilst under there if not already done, I would suggest the fuel tank straps. So perhaps £350-400 in parts (arms straps and bolts) then your stainless exhaust, what? £250-350, then paint and sundries (for the arms and subframe) £100 and perhaps underseal (may as well whilst it is all out) £100. Another £150 for rear suspension, now you are up to £1100. Doing the rear, £250 would take care of the front, now £1350? Look for a car for £1350 with new suspension and see if you can find one as good, and you wont have to doing anything (more lol) major to for another 5 years?

£270 per year and no depreciation either. I know it is not peanuts, but if it was done right, it should take you to another 10 years. Factor another headgasket, during that time for worst case scenario £350? (if you cannot do it yourself by then) and you are now up to £1700, or £170 annually over the ten years? Maybe in ten years time, the car appreciates in value too, and you can get £2000 for it. So now you are £300 up! lol

That's my thinking anyway. (cannot count tyres or servicing as you have that with any car).

Of course, you may just want a change? lol

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2019, 16:23   #5
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

I've a GT back box on mine and noticed it blowing last week so after undoing the strap found a large hole on the upper surface. Cleaned it up ,filled the hole with Holts gun gum and fixed a stainless steel plate cut from an old extractor fan chimney liberally coated with more gum over the hole. The strap position is right over the hole (probably the cause) which has clamped the plate to the box making a decent repair for now.
picky747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2019, 16:38   #6
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I think it would be worth the effort, though I would take the car off the road for a couple of weeks to do it. I believe the subframe is actually quite hardy, and if I was doing it again, I wouldnt replace it, but rather refurb it. The arms may need replacing though. Whilst under there if not already done, I would suggest the fuel tank straps. So perhaps £350-400 in parts (arms straps and bolts) then your stainless exhaust, what? £250-350, then paint and sundries (for the arms and subframe) £100 and perhaps underseal (may as well whilst it is all out) £100. Another £150 for rear suspension, now you are up to £1100. Doing the rear, £250 would take care of the front, now £1350? Look for a car for £1350 with new suspension and see if you can find one as good, and you wont have to doing anything (more lol) major to for another 5 years?

£270 per year and no depreciation either. I know it is not peanuts, but if it was done right, it should take you to another 10 years. Factor another headgasket, during that time for worst case scenario £350? (if you cannot do it yourself by then) and you are now up to £1700, or £170 annually over the ten years? Maybe in ten years time, the car appreciates in value too, and you can get £2000 for it. So now you are £300 up! lol

That's my thinking anyway. (cannot count tyres or servicing as you have that with any car).

Of course, you may just want a change? lol

I like your thinking

all going well something along those lines will be the outcome

I've no issue spending to keep my 75 on the road - I certainly don't want a different Car - however i've had to make some changes due to health issues in the family and this has affected my income for the moment.

picky747 - my Backbox is the same, all the corrosion is where the Support Strap contacts the Backbox - I was going to repair with some Gun Gum if possible, i decided not to bother as i'll source a replacement part at the end of the week

I think i'll actually go for the Klarius Backbox and see if this fares any better - £130 from Euro Car Parts £85 with their Sale Code - the best price i see now for the GT Backbox is £67 delivered - I figure for an extra £18 the Klarius is worth trying out we'll see....

Paul.