Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st September 2019, 07:17   #1
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default Increase in Catalytic Converter thefts

The BBC reports a “huge increase” in catalytic converter thefts due to a jump in the price of precious metals - Rhodium now goes for £4000 an ounce apparently.

Interestingly it looks like our cars are pretty much safe as the thieves want “clean” cats and so are targeting Hybrid cars as their cats are used less.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 07:25   #2
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I’ve read about an increase in reported thefts online on a few ‘tech’ groups I’m in with customers complaining of blowing exhausts etc. Luckily not seen any myself as there not cheap to buy.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 07:42   #3
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
The BBC reports a “huge increase” in catalytic converter thefts due to a jump in the price of precious metals - Rhodium now goes for £4000 an ounce apparently.

Interestingly it looks like our cars are pretty much safe as the thieves want “clean” cats and so are targeting Hybrid cars as their cats are used less.
Nope, had the cat stolen off of my ZT late year whilst it was parked outside.

They clearly had to jack the car up to get at it as I couldn't even scramble underneath to find out what had gone wrong.

I also had trouble getting a replacement as you can't get the front section anymore - the pattern part I got was just single skin and didn't have holes for both sensors. Ended up getting a good second hand section from a trader on here.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 07:48   #4
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

They don't even bother to steal them under cover of darkness around here, they just pull up to the car in broad daylight and take it off in under two minutes They know full well PC Plod isn't going to show up any time soon .

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 07:51   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
Nope, had the cat stolen off of my ZT late year whilst it was parked outside.

They clearly had to jack the car up to get at it as I couldn't even scramble underneath to find out what had gone wrong.

I also had trouble getting a replacement as you can't get the front section anymore - the pattern part I got was just single skin and didn't have holes for both sensors. Ended up getting a good second hand section from a trader on here.
Hmmm - sorry to hear that. I was hoping an unattractive “cat” was yet another advantage to owning one of our cars
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 07:53   #6
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

As I weigh them in due to my breaking, I should let all 1.8T model owners know that their cats are the most valuable ones and probably the easiest ones to cut off, I won’t publicly name the tool in case anybody looking in got any ideas but I can take the cat off in sub 5 mins with this tool, next is the diesels but all this is only if they are original OEM cats, aftermarket ones are worth about £8

Keep your eyes peeled people as Cat prices are rising
Hope that helps
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 07:57   #7
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

I’ve read about people fitting a brackets around it or welding it to the car just to make it more difficult to steal. Some cars cats are much easier to steal than others so I’m not sure where 75/ZT sits on that list
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 09:33   #8
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
I’ve read about people fitting a brackets around it or welding it to the car just to make it more difficult to steal. Some cars cats are much easier to steal than others so I’m not sure where 75/ZT sits on that list
Because of the type of tool I haven’t named for obvious reasons it’s not a power tool so very quiet and cuts through it quite easy, there’s not a lot you can do to protect it, however our cars are not a particular target because most people would’ve expected them to have had the original cat replaced by now, parking it as close to a high curb as possible is probably one of the best measures you can take to stop it being cut off because it means they would have to access it from the roadside, as entering from the front at the engine is very difficult and entering it from the back is not practical.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:08   #9
Russel
Loves to post

Mg zt-t

We live in a street where there are some unfavorable people and our local council have switched off all street lights at midnight and there activity has increased
Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2019, 13:17   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
They don't even bother to steal them under cover of darkness around here, they just pull up to the car in broad daylight and take it off in under two minutes They know full well PC Plod isn't going to show up any time soon .

There was a viral video doing the rounds last year. Scumbags in moving traffic, stopped beside a shogun, blocking the traffic crawled under and were away in about a minute.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote