Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th April 2010, 13:54   #11
pmessling
Posted a thing or two

TVR

thought Ozzies like there litres, why not hunt down a ZT V8, just to add a little confusion
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...ner468x60b.gif
pmessling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 22:27   #12
StevieB
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+

Which state is the car in, that you're keen on?

If you're a member of RACV, get the equivalent to help you in that state and do a full test on it. Worth every cent. Agree that if the seller isn't keen, walk away.

Get the auto checked as well and take copies of receipts for the work with you when you get it checked, so they can look that over specifically for you.

Remember too that if it's registered in another state, you'll need to re -register in Victoria and they're pretty strict - so ensure nothing is amiss that you'll have to rectify that you;d be happy with but VicRoads might not.

Buying within the state avoids that possible issue. Just being devils advocate here Kman. Want you to love it and have no surprises - cause they're really a great car.

By the way... looking on Carsales.com.au there are diesels around... I must block them from my vision... lol !!!
Old 8th April 2010, 13:16   #13
The_Kman
Regular poster

Rover 75

I really appreciate it mate. Ive owned 4 cars up to this point:

NA Ford Fairlane - loved it, seemed like a great deal...... turned into a nightmare
84 Honda Prelude - liked it, but had alot of km and was starting to fall apart, luckily someone ran up the back of me and it so written off. So i bought a....
85 Honda Prelude si - My logic, stick to what you know....... the car help me do that, it fell apart. I do onsite work so i snapped up the first thing i saw
95 Hyundai Excel - "Le **** box" as the french might say. I hate it.

So it is definitely time for a nice car. The car i have my eye on is in NSW. I have been in contact with the owner, and he seems helpful enough. But definitely want to make sure i get a great car, not another expensive burden.

As i do drive around up to 800km sometimes in a week, maybe i should look at a diesel. Are they more economical to run? And manual or auto the way to go? Ive driven a manual for the last 5 years, and i certainly do get sick of it. But there is a comparable manual for a bit cheaper.

I feel like doing what i have always done up to this point, let a car catch my eye, buy it on the spot, convince myself its was a great deal, blame the car when it breaks down After analysis, this approach seems to have been a failure each time.

Time for new tactics, informed decision making and due diligence. Very glad i stumbled across this forum. Thanks for all the pointers so far. Been a great help.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 8th April 2010 at 13:23..
The_Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 13:34   #14
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Diesel it is then. Manual with cruise is my choice....
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 17:12   #15
StevieB
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kman View Post
As i do drive around up to 800km sometimes in a week, maybe i should look at a diesel. Are they more economical to run? And manual or auto the way to go? Ive driven a manual for the last 5 years, and i certainly do get sick of it. But there is a comparable manual for a bit cheaper.
Definitely take your time and look for a great one - and I'd suggest stay in the state. Remember also you're going to a six cylinder - and it costs me around $75.00 to fill with unleaded. Maybe a diesel is worth considering with the regular mileage you'll be doing.

Keep your eyes open and if you love it and do your homework as you are now, you'll be fine

"Egremont" - if you're around, any other suggestions for our new local dude?
(He's a member of the local Rover Car Club and might have some other insights.)
Old 10th April 2010, 02:24   #16
The_Kman
Regular poster

Rover 75

Had a quick search on carsales, and there only appears to be one, and its hail damage, and its a 2005 (like the look of the earlier ones 01, 02 etc).

But fuel costs is not too high up on my concerns list, as work pays for nearly all the petrol i use. But out of interest, can these be converted to straight gas?

Do RACV do a reasonable job with regards to comprehensive pre sale vehicle test? Because just reading through the list of things they look at, doesnt seem like a whole lot. considering they just examine the external of components, and nothing is pulled open for closer inspection. And take it for a drive. I mainly want some assurance the engine has still got a bit of life in it left, and not going to die a couple months in.

Log book servicing seems to be in pretty good order, and seller has got receipts for a few major jobs (belts changed, transmission fixed, major service, thermostat housing replaced due to aging housing or something). These are all things that have been done within the last 10,000. Im thinking of phoning up the mechanic who did some of this work, asking if he remembers the car, and what he thought about it. Is that considered an acceptable thing to do? Because asking the seller of course he will tell me everything is better than new.

just need to find time to actually go have a look at this particular car myself. No one knows a Rover mechanic/expert in or near Newcastle by any chance?
Old 12th April 2010, 12:35   #17
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Selecting your 75.

Hello The Kman, and others.

It may be possible for a local member of the N.S.W. club to inspect the car on your behalf - if you are definite about it. I will need to contact a N.S.W. club member to see if he knows of another member in that vicinity. I think Newcastle is two and a half times the size of Geelong, so ascertaining the suburb would be helpful. Not sure what their policy is about giving such assurances.
Was it the vendor that stated the KV6 engine is only good for 100,000 kms. If so he is shooting himself in the foot. What a wonderful bargaining position you have when negotiating the price. One of our club members travels Melbourne to Queensland a few times each year. His 75 is still in pristine condition, despite it having travelled nearly 200,000 kms. People seem to be psyched out when reading 100,000 kms. Seems a lot, but remember it is only some 62,000 miles on the imperial scale - and no one was concerned about that figure.

A friend ran a large transmission re-building business here in Melbourne and he always insisted on seeing the service books to ensure that proper servicing had be done. The fact that your prospective car appears to have it's servicing recorded is a plus. Talking of automatic transmissions, I had my transmission fluid changed just before Easter. They tell me that their two workshops are full of the those "fill for life" automatics - BMW being one of the worst offenders.

I would only entrust my 75 to a workshop that had the latest updates for the Omitec T4 diagnostic equipment. Modern engines are far too complex to make assumptions. In other words is the mechanic who serviced this car familiar with the 75 / ZT's and does he use the T4 diagnostics?

Most that I know run their cars on the 98 octane petrol (even though the handbook does state 95 ron will do) and some will only use BP Ultimate fuel.

A pity that you were not visiting Adelaide at Easter for the Aussie National Rove - owners from every state, a couple from New Zealand, the Philippines, and one German National 75 owner flew in for the meeting. Great time was had by all. Some nice 2005 75's were present - as well as the pre facelift model. Must try and lodge some photos.

Incidentally, one of the 2005 owners told me that he has had to replace the plastic thermostat housing twice since he bought in new - travelled some 110,000 kms to date. I am a firm advocate for replacing them with a "Guido Kaiser" aluminium thermostat.

Do you know the Newcastle suburb that the car is situated? Meantime, I will make some tentative enquiries. You can PM me if you wish.

Cheers, and good luck in selecting your car.

Egremont.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 15:19   #18
The_Kman
Regular poster

Rover 75

Wow, thank you very much egremont. The level detail in the response was far more than i expected, and have given me a few thing to think about.

I will sent you a message with more details of the car, as im paranoid exposing it openly might jeopardize it for me. And i dont want to experience that again.

The owner did not mention they have engine issues, but that they had know transmission issues, in the auto. But has had it replaced. Something like where its been serviced and worked on never even crossed my mind, but i can see how very relevant it would be. He has agreed to allow me to have it inspected first (was planning to use RACV pre sale inspection) but after reading through the list of things they do....... Well it doesnt really seem like they do all the much.

Maybe someone familiar with the model of car is a much better option.

Ill send you through a message now. And thanks again
Old 13th April 2010, 01:37   #19
Roger1
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.5 Tourer; 2022 MG HS; 2021 MG ZST

Welcome Kman from a trans tasman cousin. Don't hestitate. I bought a 2000 model some years back (2 litre V6) and loved it so much I ended up with 3 75's. Now have a 2.5 V6 and a V8. It's a great feeling driving these cars, added to by the fact that there are so few on the road that people still stare at them! Friends with BMW's give me stick over mine, until they got to drive them. Different story now. The BMW's just seem so boring.

However, that's all personal opinion. I have not found parts to be a problem, and whenever I have needed help I've found it in this club.

All the best mate.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Roger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 13:47   #20
The_Kman
Regular poster

Rover 75

Got a Raven Black 2001 Connie, its a great car.

Question, are service items like oil filters, spark plugs, leads, brake pads etc etc interchangable with more common cars on the road here? That is, will i be able to get these parts at a reasonable price here, or should i be planning ahead and building a reserve?

Need to get a road worthy done on it this week, should be fine, just getting a licence plate light error, and doesnt seem to be the globe, so guess i best start tracing back, maybe there has been some corrosion or someone has snipped/pinched a wire somewhere. Hopefully its something simple.

There was some slight discolouration on bonnet and roof, but a very light cut and polish seems to have cleaned that up alot better than i thought it would.

Only other issues are cosmetic - broken and missing clips, cup holder doesnt pop out, light doesnt work on passenger side sunvisor. Things that should be fairly simple to solve. Thanks to this forum and members who are willing to help me out with these fairly obscure part requests

Already putting my own touch on it. Have got a walnut gear stick, handbrake (scratched it while installing so ordered another) and have a steering wheel on the way. Plus the Headunit that is getting discussed alot on here. Could not be more happy with the car at this stage.

Can any Melbournians recommend a mechanic with T4 i can get a full service and general check over of the car done, who might be able to give me a heads up on things to watch and look out for? Egremont, may i ask where you get yours serviced?

Hope to be able to pop down to the Rover meet next week in Melbourne, not sure how ill be doing for time, but i would love to come get some inspiration and see some great cars