Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th April 2019, 09:13   #9441
TeeCee
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Well, yesterday actually.
Wire brush and paint all the scabby floor, fuel tank cage, antiroll bar and subframe washers.
While paint dried, removed and replaced all six trailing arm toe bolts. They looked horrible (someone had obviously been there before with a 12 point socket and given up), but they all came out without too much fuss.
Replace subframe, arms, springs and antiroll bar / droplinks.

To do: Trailing arm toe bushes, torque everything up, replace exhaust, test drive.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:31   #9442
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
Here's what I've been up to for the past few days...

New specs for a Triclops !
Old 15th April 2019, 21:40   #9443
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Gingerly drove it to work and back for the first time since it overheated on Wednesday.

Max temp was 85C, more generally 79-82C so guess the thermostat is gone (whether cause or effect I don't know).

Residual pressure in the header tank both overnight (at the weekend) and during the day (10hrs at work) is not a good sign, but it doesn't seem to be ejecting any coolant, even though its slightly overfilled, and sniff test was clear....hoping it's just an airlock or something easily fixed.

Tomorrows job is to get a jubilee clip from B&Q (other DIY stores are available) to replace the broken spring clamp on the thermostat when I get round to replacing that.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 08:05   #9444
Lennieonsax

Rover 75 tourer

Unhappy In line thermostat

Bought and fitted an inline thermostat as it was running cold On the 1st outing it worked with 9 o'clock reading and a toasty interior but then over the week the temperature gradually returned to just off the the starter blocks, temporary elation.
Lennieonsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 08:21   #9445
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennieonsax View Post
Bought and fitted an inline thermostat as it was running cold On the 1st outing it worked with 9 o'clock reading and a toasty interior but then over the week the temperature gradually returned to just off the the starter blocks, temporary elation.[/QUOTE
]

Hi Paul.
What make of inline stat did you fit? some have a jiggle pin which you do not want as they let water through slowly.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 13:57   #9446
TeeCee
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Finished. Phew.
Yesterday, replaced trailing arm bushes. I'd have said that they were all right, looking at them, but I know how much play there was with the suspension arms off Drilled and sawed out and pulled the new ones in with the tool for the smaller bushes and the handles of a couple of pairs of pliers as spacers. Cleaned and painted the mounting shoes. Found that Rimmer's had sent me a severely substandard bush bolt which stretched like a piece of rubber upon application of the torque wrench. Reused the best of the original bolts...

Torqued up all the bolts on each side with a jack under the hub carrier to take the weight on that side and put everything in the right place.

Replaced exhaust. Isn't it funny how the really sweary jobs sound simplest?

Oops. Flat battery. Well, I'd been using the tail as a tool / parts store and as I can't open the thing without power... Also couldn't run the engine occasionally as the exhaust was sat in the shed. Jump start off the wife's car. You should have heard the revs drop on the little Daihatsu when its alternator found a flat Rover battery attached to it(!)

Today: Four wheel align. (£££) No discount for it being the easiest set of toe bolts they've ever seen

The effect on the car's ride is well into the "wow" category and worth all the effort.
Old 16th April 2019, 15:27   #9447
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
mbonwick

In my experience of numerous 1.8 K-Series including SIX ZT 1.8Ts and one MG6 1.8T, even a slightly overfilled coolant expansion tank can mean some residual pressure in the cooling system even overnight and fully cooled. Several factors play their part here. That's why correct and effective bleeding and filled to the proper cool coolant level is best policy.
Reassuring to know. For now I'm not going to touch it until the new stat arrives and I have to drop the coolant anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if it had an airlock, as I just chucked water in to get home when it overheated.

Still concerned that I've not yet found any definitive reason for it to overheat, so I'll just have to assume it was the 'stat giving up and not opening.
Old 16th April 2019, 15:30   #9448
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Took the ZT for it's MOT, all passed OK - my fiddling with the number plate at least lasted until that. Surprising that I've only done just over 3000 miles since last year.

Going to set about modifying my spare handbrake compensator ready to fit when I get round to taking the carpet out. Couple of quid for the stainless shackle and easy enough job to do.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 17:30   #9449
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
Reassuring to know. For now I'm not going to touch it until the new stat arrives and I have to drop the coolant anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if it had an airlock, as I just chucked water in to get home when it overheated.

Still concerned that I've not yet found any definitive reason for it to overheat, so I'll just have to assume it was the 'stat giving up and not opening.

Spoke too soon, level had dropped to the max mark when I came back to the car tonight. Slightly more pressure there as well.
Just hoping that is an airlock working its way out as it doesn't seem to be gurgling so much on startup any more...
Old 17th April 2019, 11:26   #9450
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Auto transmission fluid changed this morning. Thanks to all for info and "How to". Much appreciated. Smooth changes and all gears intact so I must have got it right! I put the front end up on my ramps and jacked up the back end until it was level, then popped the axle stands under for belt and braces. All easy to get to that way.

Had a check under the wing wiring loom for chafing and there is plenty of clearance. I'm going to get a bit of rubber heater hose and split it down one side to clip over the sharp edge which causes the problem. Don't know why it wasn't done like that from new. Mind you, it has lasted 20 years like that!
Mike