Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th August 2011, 16:09   #11
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislloydie View Post
Drove the car into work this morning, 55 miles. Mostly 50mph and 70mph cruising on motorway. OBD temperaturatue Rose to 85 degrees after about 4 miles then stayed between 85 and 89 degrees for entire journey. That's up from average of 60 degrees on previous same run. Will continue to monitor it during warmer weather.

But so far im well happy with this cheap and easy solution to the thermostat problem.
Hi Chris
it looks like i might need one of these how as it been since you fitted it, and do you have the link please Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 17:58   #12
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 135 CDTI+ Auto Royal Blue with Synergy 2. 75 Tourer cdti club Se Auto, Royal Blue, synergy 2

It's a Gates thermostat, TH01489 is the part number. I ordered mine from rockauto.com. It cost £9.90 including delivery and arrived the next day. you will need something to cut the steel band holding your Top hose on, I used a cheap dremmel type rotary tool which did the job fine. Took about half hour to fit all in including draining some coolant and refilling etc.

I've monitored the car about twice weekly using the OBD and its working as it should. Sits at 88/89 degrees. Rises to about 91/92 then opens and drops to 86/87 again.

chrislloydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 18:26   #13
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Chris
it looks like i might need one of these how as it been since you fitted it, and do you have the link please Arctic.
Just ordered one, they only have 4 left in stock, £9.96 1st class mail.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 23:13   #14
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislloydie View Post
It's a Gates thermostat, TH01489 is the part number. I ordered mine from rockauto.com. It cost £9.90 including delivery and arrived the next day. you will need something to cut the steel band holding your Top hose on, I used a cheap dremmel type rotary tool which did the job fine. Took about half hour to fit all in including draining some coolant and refilling etc.

I've monitored the car about twice weekly using the OBD and its working as it should. Sits at 88/89 degrees. Rises to about 91/92 then opens and drops to 86/87 again.
HI
Thanks Chris/Craig
Will order one and see how it turns out, i am hoping it as gonebut it seems it has because i am only reaching 74 degrees thats after a 5 mile dash down the motorway after pottering around town for an hour after going to carls it was 71, by the time i got home some 5 miles it had only reached 74

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 13th August 2011 at 09:17..
Old 12th August 2011, 09:02   #15
pinebob
Posted a thing or two

rover75 cdt

hi guys just ordered one of these just in case!!!.what i do not understand what happens to the old stat do you just forget it or do you have to remove.
pinebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 09:12   #16
jontyp
Avid contributor

ZT CDTi

Well, assuming the old thermostat has failed "open" as seems most common then you leave it in and forget about it. It has effectively become a tube.
Old 12th August 2011, 09:21   #17
pinebob
Posted a thing or two

rover75 cdt

cheers jontyp been through all the posts on stat but could not see any where what happens to old stat.
pinebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 10:51   #18
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinebob View Post
been through all the posts on stat but could not see any where what happens to old stat.
It's discussed in other threads. From what I've read, the OEM (88C) stats don't fail open, they start opening too soon after a few years service. Apparently, when these cool running stats are examined, they are always closed. This means the valve works OK otherwise the engine would overheat. But as it warms, the valve opens too early and so coolant is flowing through the system before it gets hot enough. This leads to typical running temperatures of anything between 60 and 80C. By inserting a second in-line stat the flow to the radiator is halted until that stat lets it through. These stats are from different manufacturers and seem more reliable. There are two approaches to do this fix. One involves inserting a demountable aluminium housing in the upper hose. The easier way is the in-hose method, which seems favoured by the likes of Renault. This doesn't require cutting the hose, so is in effect, reversible and considerably cheaper. Both methods work. Raising the running temperature to 90C and above not only makes the heater more effective, but reportedly improves fuel consumption.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 12th August 2011 at 10:55..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 11:58   #19
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

HI T-CUt
Very interesting and thank you for explaining is there an how to fit these in-hose thermostats if so will someone please put up the link appreciated Arctic

PS have just ordered Gates TH01489

ad altiora tendo.

Old 12th August 2011, 14:15   #20
jontyp
Avid contributor

ZT CDTi

Here you go Arctic, try this for Jules' original Renault 5 thermostat install which, I presume, is pretty much an identical procedure.