Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th February 2017, 19:02   #21
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Hi everyone

Appreciate all the answers/comments so far... was feeling a bit under the weather last night... so have only just been able to go out and do some experimenting.

So today's test drive did show that the noise didn't vary when swerving/cornering from side to side. I also jacked up each corner and was able to spin each wheel freely and without noise. There was also no front-back play (not sure if that's the right term) in each wheel. I'm tentatively ruling out bearings based on that.

I then took each wheel off and checked for sticking pads/ anything out of the ordinary etc - nothing that seemed obvious to me... but then I'm not hugely experienced.

I then switched the two older tyres over for the summer wheels. No change.

Then I noticed it behind the nearside rear wheel... a gaping hole in the front of the back box... Photo below.

Looks like time to replace that back box. Still say it doesn't sound like traditional exhaust leakage... think some sort of resonance is playing a factor...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3542.JPG (93.2 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by BigAde; 14th February 2017 at 19:11..
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 19:17   #22
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Hi everyone

Appreciate all the answers/comments so far... was feeling a bit under the weather last night... so have only just been able to go out and do some experimenting.

So today's test drive did show that the noise didn't vary when swerving/cornering from side to side. I also jacked up each corner and was able to spin each wheel freely and without noise. There was also no front-back play (not sure if that's the right term) in each wheel. I'm tentatively ruling out bearings based on that.

I then took each wheel off and checked for sticking pads/ anything out of the ordinary etc - nothing that seemed obvious to me... but then I'm not hugely experienced.

Then I noticed it behind the nearside rear wheel... a gaping hole in the front of the back box... Photo below.

Looks like time to replace that back box. Still say it doesn't sound like traditional exhaust leakage... think some sort of resonance is playing a factor...
Check those inner CV joints...
Old 14th February 2017, 19:18   #23
bonny
Regular poster

ZT-T

Glad you found the culprit. Although it's going to cost you money it's always satisfying when you find what the problem was. What will you do now, go for a stainless back box?
bonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 20:11   #24
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Hi everyone

Don't necessarily give up on the exhaust. Is it box still strongly attached to the pipe, I found a hole like that two years ago it wasn't blowing that much so I repaired it with Gun Gun paste, followed the instructions carefully warmed the exhaust, moistened it etc and it's still going strong.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 20:13   #25
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonny View Post
Glad you found the culprit. Although it's going to cost you money it's always satisfying when you find what the problem was. What will you do now, go for a stainless back box?
Probably... having read reports of how poor all the aftermarket exhausts are. Seems pricey mind.
Old 14th February 2017, 20:22   #26
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
Don't necessarily give up on the exhaust. Is it box still strongly attached to the pipe, I found a hole like that two years ago it wasn't blowing that much so I repaired it with Gun Gun paste, followed the instructions carefully warmed the exhaust, moistened it etc and it's still going strong.
Still seems to be strongly attached, yes. I might give that a shot then... can't surely do any harm trying for a £3 tub of paste.
Old 14th February 2017, 23:44   #27
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old. This may be the better forum as threads get ‘lost’ very quickly in the General Forum.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:36   #28
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

So... just updating this thread. After a 2 week wait for them to fit me in I've now got a new stainless steel back box fitted from Longlife. Very friendly bunch, they did manage to damage some heat-shielding further back so that it was hanging low on the car. Fortunately my wife was driving behind me and flashed me to pull over. So I went back to them and they fixed it straight away.

Anyway, the noise has... changed. It's now clear to me that I was hearing two noises combined. One was the exhaust. The other I'm now almost convinced is wheel bearing because the noise now stops when going round a sharp right hand bend (this didn't happen 2 weeks ago).

So the question now is whether it's front offside or rear offside.
Any clever ways of determining that?
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:47   #29
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

If it disappears when turning right, it's front offside, as whennturning right ,the weight is lifted off it slightly
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:58   #30
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
If it disappears when turning right, it's front offside, as whennturning right ,the weight is lifted off it slightly
Ok right, thanks, that's good to know.

I was thinking that maybe if I ordered from Matt at DMGRS both front and rear bearings then book it in to my mechanic to have front done and then get them to road test afterwards and change the rear if they need to. At least then he'll have the parts and I don't have to wait for more parts.

Then, if I've no need of the rear one, I can sell it on on the forums perhaps.