Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd February 2017, 05:28   #21
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Oh, and since I am in the middle of doing this, I can also give you the pitch. It is 2mm. IOW if you turn the bolt one turn, it moves 2mm in the thread, up or down.
If you don't have a thread gauge, use your vernier, measure out 10mm, and count the number of tops of the thread contained in the 10 mm measure, when you place the jaws along the length of the bolt.
You will see that it is 5. Thus 10/5 = 2mm.

And for the second question, - if there is space for a bigger head -, not really. Space is very confined, and adding a bigger head is like inviting extra trouble.

just re-use these bolts!!!

Last edited by kaiser; 22nd February 2017 at 05:44.. Reason: head size
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:28   #22
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Just for the record, the default patter from any RAVE manual is to always replace the patchlock bolts

In 99% of cases its totally uneccessary.

I managed a socket on those front arm bush bolts. There is a specific angle under the car. I think I had my feet facing towards the front, and was lying right under the bush, with a torque wrench facing to the rear. My memory is so poor though, it could have been a little different.

Last time I did the bushes I think I disconnected from the hub, much easier as you can flap the lower arm up and down to align the bush with the subframe, and the bolts turn in by hand...
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 18:47   #23
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Just for the record, the default patter from any RAVE manual is to always replace the patchlock bolts
No that is not the case at all, and I quote............

Self Locking bolts and screws

Self locking bolts, ie nylon patched, or trilobular thread, can be reused, provided resistance can be felt when the locking portion enters the female thread.

Taken from page five of general precautions in the general information section of RDL001EN

The top and bottom of it is, a judgement call must be made on a case by case basis, there is no right or wrong.

However when a particular fastener is no longer available, consideration can be placed upon reuse of a component, while ensuring it is fit for purpose, be that with a dot of thread locking compound to replicate the original Patchlok compound, or not as per your personal preference.

Having said that, given the choice between scrapping a car because Haynes say new bolts MUST be used, or doing as countless thousands have done before and reusing the old bolts, I know what I would do

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 20:36   #24
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Well I have done this job twice now and was in total ignorance about replacing the bolts,I just used the original ones.

Never had a problem and they have never come loose.Even tho' I never put Loctite on the threads.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 00:41   #25
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

All posts not relating directly to the issue have been removed. This is, after all a Technical Help forum

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 20:00   #26
Claudec

Rover 75

Just came across this as im hoping to do mine tomorrow, excellent write up brian im sure it will come in usefull.

Colin
Claudec is offline   Reply With Quote