Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd March 2018, 18:22   #11
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Hope you are going to give yourself an infraction for that.
No can do OB

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 18:33   #12
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Foot over the exhaust and hold it there very securely. Happen to me twice and makes for an interesting spectacle 😳
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 18:34   #13
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Another way to cut the engine’s air supply is by manually blocking the intake with something - a rag, If you covered the intake snuggly but the engine still runs, it means there are leaks along the rest of the intake piping and the engine is able to suck from there.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 19:46   #14
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Another way to cut the engine’s air supply is by manually blocking the intake with something - a rag, If you covered the intake snuggly but the engine still runs, it means there are leaks along the rest of the intake piping and the engine is able to suck from there.
Mick
Many years ago I had a V8 Paxman run away in a diesel hydraulic locomotive .I proceeded to stuff a donkey jacket up the intake .It came out of the exhaust stack as fluffy particles .The engine which normally ran at 900rpm at a max of 1200rpm reached a speed of 5000rpm .At this point two conrods came through the side of the block and yes it then stopped .The reason for this was that an apprentice was asked to check and top up the oil prior to start up .After further enquiries it was found that he had added approx 30 gallons of oil .
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 19:49   #15
Phil-Hex
Gets stuck in

Typhoon ZT-T CDTi Bittersweet 135 TF

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Foot over the exhaust and hold it there very securely. Happen to me twice and makes for an interesting spectacle 😳
A very good reason never to fit quad pipes to a diesel
Phil-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 19:50   #16
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantallon View Post
Many years ago I had a V8 Paxman run away in a diesel hydraulic locomotive .I proceeded to stuff a donkey jacket up the intake .It came out of the exhaust stack as fluffy particles .The engine which normally ran at 900rpm at a max of 1200rpm reached a speed of 5000rpm .At this point two conrods came through the side of the block and yes it then stopped .The reason for this was that an apprentice was asked to check and top up the oil prior to start up .After further enquiries it was found that he had added approx 30 gallons of oil .
I have been trying to find details of a class 47 which I think blew the engine up when it runaway, seem to remember it being related to a turbo charger failing and it running on lube oil.

I had a diesel generator runaway before, think it was a bit worn and started picking up sump oil - had to block the air intake to stop it in the end.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 20:37   #17
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Having had this happen to me in a hired Citroen Relay, I can say it is very scary, doing 90 down Shap on the M6 with the engine switched off, and pressing hard on the brake pedal. Fortunately, for me, it lasted less than 2 minutes before it calmed down, and normal service was resumed. Last time I top up the oil on a hire van which is overheating, and has apparently less than minimum oil in it! Timing chain engines are more susceptible to this than those fitted with a belt, as diesel can leak through a worn front ip seal, down the chaincase and into the sump. Mitsubishi 4M40 engines were prone to this. Engine stalling shortly after starting, and a strong smell of diesel when you take off the oil cap are indications not to be ignored. Letting out the clutch in 5th at 4,500rpm+ sounds like a recipe for a destroyed gearbox or clutch, or, as in my case, taking off like a dragster, - ok on the M6, but not a good idea in a town centre. Says something for the BMW engine in that Freelander that it didn't just explode, running flat out for that length of time!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote