Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd March 2018, 23:12   #21
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Having had this happen to me in a hired Citroen Relay, I can say it is very scary, doing 90 down Shap on the M6 with the engine switched off, and pressing hard on the brake pedal. Fortunately, for me, it lasted less than 2 minutes before it calmed down, and normal service was resumed. Last time I top up the oil on a hire van which is overheating, and has apparently less than minimum oil in it! Timing chain engines are more susceptible to this than those fitted with a belt, as diesel can leak through a worn front ip seal, down the chaincase and into the sump. Mitsubishi 4M40 engines were prone to this. Engine stalling shortly after starting, and a strong smell of diesel when you take off the oil cap are indications not to be ignored. Letting out the clutch in 5th at 4,500rpm+ sounds like a recipe for a destroyed gearbox or clutch, or, as in my case, taking off like a dragster, - ok on the M6, but not a good idea in a town centre. Says something for the BMW engine in that Freelander that it didn't just explode, running flat out for that length of time!
Someone who worked in a car breaker scrapyard once explained before the cars were ready to be cubed, they would run their engines flat out max-revs until something broke. Apparently, Rover engines were the last ones to actually expire given that treatment. How about that. .......
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 23:39   #22
Dragrad
This is my second home

None at the moment

Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Someone who worked in a car breaker scrapyard once explained before the cars were ready to be cubed, they would run their engines flat out max-revs until something broke. Apparently, Rover engines were the last ones to actually expire given that treatment. How about that. .......
BMW engines ?

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 05:45   #23
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
BMW engines ?
Who knows, but an interesting observation to make anyway. It was back in the days before BMW units were fitted to Rovers and MGs. You know the good ol' daze... ... when I could buy a new MG built here in the much more greener and pleasant..... and did several times.
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote