Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st April 2020, 14:47   #1
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Default problem with tailgate latch recharged battery and fine now

Hi i have had a non functioning tailgate latch for a while now, you press button you would feel the micro-switch clicking but nothing on the latch, so gave up and used the emergency pull for a while if i couldn't get access through the glass.
So it has been starting fine but just thought to put it on the charger for a day and since then the latch has been working fine, so i assuming that the latch is on its way out and the fully charged battery is just helping it that extra bit, or am i talking rubbish and its just a fluke?
btw battery was connected to charger with no disconnection so no reset
Old 1st April 2020, 19:17   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

You could have confirmed your theory about low voltage if you had tried to open the tailgate with the engine running.

The alternator would, on tick over, be putting around 14 volts into the cars electrical system.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 19:46   #3
Robti
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
You could have confirmed your theory about low voltage if you had tried to open the tailgate with the engine running.

The alternator would, on tick over, be putting around 14 volts into the cars electrical system.---
Argh smarty pants Wish I had thought of that, what do you think about my theory that the extra current is helping out a poorly latch ?
Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 19:57   #4
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

What year tourer is it? On the face lift cars pressing the unlock button will either open the tailgate or glass, they seem to be randomly programmed. I had a similar problem and my tailgate would only open on the remote, interestingly T4 doesn’t show the button input. As mine worked on the remote I knew the system was working so I looked for a new button/micro switch and before I could source one it started working again

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 20:47   #5
Robti
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
What year tourer is it? On the face lift cars pressing the unlock button will either open the tailgate or glass, they seem to be randomly programmed. I had a similar problem and my tailgate would only open on the remote, interestingly T4 doesn’t show the button input. As mine worked on the remote I knew the system was working so I looked for a new button/micro switch and before I could source one it started working again
Thanks it’s an ‘03, will keep my eye on it for a while and update if it goes again, I only posted in case an expert could chip in about it working again after a battery recharge
Old 2nd April 2020, 20:21   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
Argh smarty pants Wish I had thought of that, what do you think about my theory that the extra current is helping out a poorly latch ?
Thanks
If you have enough current to start the engine it will be miles more than that catch would ever need.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote