Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th March 2017, 11:50   #1
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default So it's come to this; wilful vandalism!

I know there's competition for parking on many of our streets but we deal with it as best we can and get on with life. But here's what happens when someone can't accept things as they are and takes matters into their own hands. To explain. Last summer, I had an altercation with a neighbour living across the street from me who, after I had moved my car to 'my' side of the street and outside my house, came over to ask me why 'in the interests of good neighbourliness' I didn't park it on my driveway. Now disregarding for a moment the fact that I have as much right to park on the street as he has (with his three cars incidentally; an Audi RS6?, a Defender and an Astra), I pointed out that my car was too wide and long to maneuver safely in and out with cars parked opposite my narrow driveway's entrance. Even my signficant other has this problem parking her Hyundai i10 on our driveway! After shouting a few expletives at me, he stormed off unimpressed. We haven't spoken since then, just glowered at each other from time to time! Six months later, after leaving my car on 'his' side of the road for a few days (nothing unusual, the space outside my house is often occupied and I don't complain), I came back to find this keying damage to my Rover's bonnet!

Now I have no way of proving that this wanton vandalism was his doing, although the car was parked on 'his' side of the street and the damage is on the side facing the pavement. It's also highly unlikely that this was done by some passerby. A) we live on a cul-de-sac and B) a mindless vandal would not have picked out just my car and left such a deliberately malevolent signature! So I have reported the damage to the police indicating my suspicions and put a note through all the doors on the street (including his), advising everyone about this unfortunate escalation and suggesting more vigilence where possible. Everyone on the street I've spoken to so far (people came to talk to me about it) have been angry and sympathetic. Needless to say, 'he' has been conspicuous by his absence. So, now I'm faced with a bill for repair that I'm minded to shove through his letterbox, little good it would do though!

minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 11:53   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Key his motor then if he complains suggest staring a neighbourhood watch to catch the vandal...
Old 12th March 2017, 11:57   #3
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

I would get a dashcam mate.....and maybe change bonnet rather than repair...may work out cheaper...or even free if a member has one kicking around......but still not a nice thing to happen to you......seems to be the society with live in these days good luck
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 12:04   #4
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I wouldn't stoop to his level!
Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Key his motor then if he complains suggest staring a neighbourhood watch to catch the vandal...
Old 12th March 2017, 12:16   #5
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

>I wouldn't stoop to his level!

A sorry tale and some interesting early responses. I must add that if this story involved an old Ford and was posted on the PassionFord forum, of which I'm also a member, the responses and suggested actions would have been far more of an aggressive nature.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 12:36   #6
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Is there any way that you could to come to some sort of comprise or solution with this other person?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 12:48   #7
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Is there any way that you could to come to some sort of comprise or solution with this other person?
Yes, don't park on "his" side of the road.

I have a similar problem, over the road always parks dead opposite my driveway, even though they have a driveway too. The 75 is not a small car and the space they leave me to get out is less than the length of the 75.

On one occasion when I asked them to move to let me out I was met by a torrent of abuse, never heard an Asian woman swear like that before, and the comment that she could not see why I could not get out and I must be a useless driver.

My reply was simply that if I had a little Fiesta too, then you right I would probably be able to get out.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 12:49   #8
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool

So sorry for your bad news bud.If that happened to me, i know people who like to earn a few quid doing un toward things no questions asked !

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 12:50   #9
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
So sorry for your bad news bud.If that happened to me, i know people who like to earn a few quid doing un toward things no questions asked !
Makes mental note not to upset GAZCAZ. ..
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 12:58   #10
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

In all honesty, how can you compromise with someone who is prepared to do such a thing? I have no proof that he is the culprit, so I think my decision to alert the whole street was the best that I could do under the circumstances. I have since discovered that his aggressive tactics are known to others on the street and I'm certainly not going to confront him about it directly. By him knowing that I have notified the police, I have sent him a warning should he consider misbehaving like this in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post