Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th October 2018, 19:23   #1
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts
Default Manifold Rattle Part Two

How long would I be able to drive the car if the manifold has a suspected rattle
Stocktake has agreed the Viz Motor would appear to be okay.
If I should want to buy a second hand one, any advice of what to look for, and what are the chances of Being landed with another duff one, in anyone’s opinion
What else could be the cause.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 08:04   #2
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 2.5V6, Mazda Cx30

From what I have read it is ok to drive it with the rattle of death. With buying a second hand unit there is that un known quantity to factor in (how many miles left is in it).
DMGRS sells brand new units which will need a little adaptation.
or
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001713
A bit pricy at £1000 but an option.
Old 18th October 2018, 08:29   #3
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...tors-lkb108021
Just as pricey
Another option is to get your one have the inside gutted. There is a lot of for and against for this option.
Old 18th October 2018, 09:56   #4
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 22 View Post
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...tors-lkb108021
Just as pricey
Another option is to get your one have the inside gutted. There is a lot of for and against for this option.
Wow, those prices . Some 6 or 7 years back I came across a dealer selling off his old stock, and managed to buy a brand new manifold, complete with VIS motors for around £200. I thought that was a lot back then. Seems I was very lucky.

Re Juliens manifold, if it is the manifold rattling, I wouldn't worry too much, it'll probably go on for years yet. Having said that though, I would recommend getting a pair of pair of Stocktakes uprated VIS motors, as they should outlive the OEM ones, and you never know if or when he may stop supplying them.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 10:15   #5
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Wow, those prices . Some 6 or 7 years back I came across a dealer selling off his old stock, and managed to buy a brand new manifold, complete with VIS motors for around £200. I thought that was a lot back then. Seems I was very lucky.

Re Juliens manifold, if it is the manifold rattling, I wouldn't worry too much, it'll probably go on for years yet. Having said that though, I would recommend getting a pair of pair of Stocktakes uprated VIS motors, as they should outlive the OEM ones, and you never know if or when he may stop supplying them.

Cliff

Hi Cliff.

According to Dave (Stocktake), the Viz would appear to be okay, also the slide bar for the flaps are functioning okay, taking the car to Lates in November to have everything done, so just wondering what else that could be causing the rattle?. don't want to be taking it on a 120 mile round trip if something else is untoward that might cause damage to the engine.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 10:18   #6
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

Maybe now is the time the kv6 community put the heads and recourse together to find a long term solutions to this problem as I think this will kill a lot of these engined cars really early. For me I will go down the route of gut the inside out and see for myself the pro and cons before investing £1000 on another plastic part. To be fare it will give 1000's of miles of good service but at the back of my mind it will be a wear and tear part.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Old 18th October 2018, 11:25   #7
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
Hi Cliff.

According to Dave (Stocktake), the Viz would appear to be okay, also the slide bar for the flaps are functioning okay, taking the car to Lates in November to have everything done, so just wondering what else that could be causing the rattle?. don't want to be taking it on a 120 mile round trip if something else is untoward that might cause damage to the engine.

Rev
I'm sure it'll do the journey just fine, but I understand your worry. We recently had a weekend in York, using Noras Hyundai i20. One mile into the return journey and a warning light popped up on the dash - a small triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre. No idea what it meant, (but I knew it wasn't oil pressure, brakes, coolant etc) so drove all the way back on edge listening out for any signs of something amiss. When I got home, I looked up the warning light in the handbook, and it signifies that the next service is due in a few weeks!! A stressful journey for no good reason .

Enjoy your time with Lates, he'll have the car in fine fettle .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 11:46   #8
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

How long are manifolds expected to last? If you have a new one what is the mileage you're likely to get before ut goes again? Just wondering as Vis motors arent reliable. Are manifolds the same?
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 18:03   #9
Dubya
Loves to post

2005 MG ZT-T+ V6 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
Hi Cliff.

Rev
When mine started to rattle badly I checked the operation of both VIS motors (both working fine) and the butterfly lever was orientated correctly and operated as expected. However, after opening it up I found two of the six butterfly valves were not connected to the lever as their ball & socket joints had worn through, hence the rattling.

Unfortunately the only way to check the butterflies is to cut the manifold open (actually, does anyone know if it is possible to check these using an endoscope, the type ebay sell that connects to a smartphone?).

I removed the rod, cut all six butterfly valves out and araldited the manifold back together. 2 years on and still going, I have seen no change to the economy (not why you buy a 190 V6 anyway) but the performance is slightly less sprightly, particularly as I don't get that 'kick' at 3500rpm.

Eventually I would like to replace it and have full functionality restored, but can't really justify (to the boss!) the cost!
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote