Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st March 2020, 13:20   #21
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by BoroRover
According to my local rag, the Gazetteonline, police issued a ticket to someone who claimed they had never heard of Coronavirus, and wondered why there were so few people about. Now that is taking the Mickey, I hope his £60 fine helps him remember from now on .

Unfortunately that Gazette report does not contain the official reason for the fine and so might lead to confusion.

Maybe the defendant was genuinely ignorant of events over the last few weeks, it is very possible they were. In fact there must be many others.

Even the police are apparently either ignorant or unaware of the guidelines or 'rules'. In Richmond Park, London, an officer was filmed wildly waving his arms in the air and bellowing at a cyclist telling him only NHS staff were allowed to cycle there! The officer fined him. I wonder how far that will get and at what cost. Will the police officer bear any of that cost?

Others have been fined for buying what the police called 'non-essential items' from a supermarket. None of these above offences are offences. It all contributes to a hopeless lack of coordination of resources, widespread mistrust of official advice and a refusal to comply with any instruction.

Also, relying on an extreme print report from a hopelessly biased source such as the Guardian is, in itself, not worthy of any credibility. The vagaries of internal European departments' discussions have more leaks than a one-handed potmender's colander.
Old 31st March 2020, 13:56   #22
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post

Also, relying on an extreme print report from a hopelessly biased source such as the Guardian is, in itself, not worthy of any credibility.

Oh no it ain't...

The Guardian has a magificent record of revealing and investigating wrong-doing, from the Snowden papers to phone hackers, exposing the Windrush scandal to the Panama papers. Sorry if it doesn't run with tittle tattle or celebrity gossip - and that it criticses HMG.
Old 31st March 2020, 15:38   #23
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Oh no it ain't...

The Guardian has a magificent record of revealing and investigating wrong-doing, from the Snowden papers to phone hackers, exposing the Windrush scandal to the Panama papers. Sorry if it doesn't run with tittle tattle or celebrity gossip - and that it criticses HMG.
I think I may have given an entirely biased impression! There's nothing wrong with bias, every print source is 'biased' in it's own way. If I made a reference to articles from the Mail, Sun, Telegraph or Express they would all give different slants on the same subject and to an extent they would all be right!

In other areas, I too am biased. I am left handed, it makes my handwriting illegible which is fine by me - I can read it. If anyone has difficulty in reading it, then they don't have to! (One reason to thank the heavens for the keyboard!) In the case to which I was referring the subject was a naked attack with no measure of moderation and in that respect it was typical of virtually every other article that appears in that paper - that's all.

I was making the point that on particular subjects (of varying colours) each would to an extent be right! They give a limited picture which carefully omits certain aspects which might denigrate their particular political persuasion so should be taken, at least in isolation, with a pinch of salt.

That doesn't in any way detract from their crusading efforts in other areas of public discussion! To imply others' success is based on tittle-tattle and gossip - a bit harsh to imply that's all there is. It's called every day life and who, apart from me, is not on FB or Tw which consist to a large degree of trolls?
Old 1st April 2020, 14:00   #24
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I read somewhere there are some 30 million addresses in the UK. At 76p, or 2nd class at 65p, that seems cheap! And that's without the envelope.
I am sure that the government gets a discounted postal rate.

I know those sending out all the junk mail don’t pay anywhere near 65p per letter.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 14:01   #25
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Has anyone actually received their letter yet ?
Old 1st April 2020, 14:07   #26
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Not yet but looking forward to something to read. Done all my newspapers and magazines now!
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 14:25   #27
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
Not yet but looking forward to something to read. Done all my newspapers and magazines now!
Wow, you got through that toilet paper quick!
planenut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 15:53   #28
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Wow, you got through that toilet paper quick!
well reading ........ IZAL - now wash your hands! on every page gets a bit Monotonous !!!
Old 1st April 2020, 15:58   #29
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

That's always puzzled me. The message on the sheet before use?