Notices

Old 13th May 2017, 23:36   #11
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Deltic!

Or....
A Deltic on the 16:00 from Edinburgh to Aberdeen ( ex London Kings Cross)...
Preferably 55 002 Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry ( Koyli) with me ( a spotty youth) in the cab all the way! ( happened once to driver)
A view Stevesrat will be familiar with - this time from cab of my favourite Deltic
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ1dZN5UDSM

If I was a cat I would have been purring all the way!

Total diesel buff myself but not adverse to a bit of steam haulage most recently Tornado and the home steamers at East Lancs Railway

Naturally in a Mk 1 corridor Compartment coach.....

That was real rail travel...

It is a sad fact of modern life that todays youngsters have no chance of getting cab rides. No chance at all. Some things in modern life ahave not improved things. I actually drove a 47 through my home town station with six coaches complete with unsuspecting passengers when Inwas still at school. Naturally under very, very close supervision. I will never forget that.

My favourite steam train is the A4 Pacific Union of South Africa which was owned by a Fife farmer, Mr Cameron. Was in the cab many times when steamed but never moving. It used to be kept in a shed at Markinch station near here a stones throw from where my daughter and family live now.

Hope you had a great day Bob.

Chris

Last edited by Astraeus; 14th May 2017 at 00:00..
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 07:32   #12
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

What a lovely day out. We really all had a cracking time. We never get very long in Carlisle, this time it was less than 2 hours but the lady in our group wanted to go and have a look at the shops. So we let her wander off whilst we explored the William Rufus, a local watering hole. By the time Veronica came back we had sunk 3 pints each, no time for a fourth. Still more falling down water to be had on the train home.

Saw Silver 75 Tourer parked outside the station, had personal plates on, I'll post it up later along with a photo. Back on the train and on the dot at 15.40 we pulled out of Carlisle. On our return journey our steamer was taking us over the Settle-Carlisle then onto Farington Junction for the engine swap. We would be getting back our Electric Blue Class 86, (Al 6), engine. The changeover was scheduled for 18.15 arrival and 18.38 departure. There was a hold up and we did not get going till 18.50.

Dinner was being served in between. Starters, main course, dessert, cheese and biscuits finished off with chocolates. Tea and coffee was also available. We had 2 bottles of wine ordered for our meal, which ended up as three bottles. With each glass of wine I said, "Cheers Val, love you". Made me a bit emotional a couple of times.

One of the stewards had heard me talking about MG Cars during the day, so he spoke to me later after the meal. He had a MG Montego EFi in White. Roadworthy but was a ongoing project, showed me a photo. Looked stunning but was on the wrong wheels. And needed interior work but he loved it. Asked me which one I had, told him 2 were owned. Show him a couple of pictures of both, he said, " I've seen that Yellow one, or one like it up at Gretna Green last year, remembered the large stuffed Banana".

Our train made up the time only stopping to drop off passengers at various stations back. We got held up at Watford Junction, had to let a Express overtake us. We was due back at Euston at 22.23 and we rolled in at 22.26. Said our goodbyes to fellow travellers and to the stewards. Made our way round to where our car was waiting to whisk us back. I was staying the night at Michaels. We said goodnight to our two friends.
Did not take me long to go to sleep.

Another trip is planned in the Autumn. I'll post up a few photo's once home.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 07:53   #13
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Thanks Bob, look forward to the photo's.

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 09:31   #14
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
My favourite steam train is the A4 Pacific Union of South Africa which was owned by a Fife farmer, Mr Cameron. Was in the cab many times when steamed but never moving. It used to be kept in a shed at Markinch station near here a stones throw from where my daughter and family live now.
60009, Union of South Africa is the first steam loco I was ever on! Early '80s, there was a move from Eastfield in Glasgow to Markinch, a driver was lined up but they couldn't find a fireman, manning of steam locos is voluntary. I said I'd do it but had no steam experience. The driver, Jimmy Cairns (one of the nicest guys you could ever meet) said not to worry, he'd keep me right and there would also be the support guys with it. We arrived at Eastfield, walked round the end of a DMU and there she was with the support coach. My first thought was Jesus, its bigger than it looks in any photo! At that time Union of South Africa badly needed some serious money spent on it, bangs, rattles, clatters and the exhaust injector packed in en route.

I went on to fire many more main line turns including 60009 again, 673 "Maude" several times, a number of black fives, "Green Arrow" and "Evening Star". Despite the blanket 75mph restriction on mainline steam Bob McNeill (bit of an a'hole!) and I were taking a black five with support coaches etc from Edinburgh to Newcastle after its season on the West Highland Line, we had it up to just under 90 before the inspector travelling with us had a word in Bob's ear! I enjoyed the steam locos, something different. There was talk of a steam driving course but it never materialised.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 14th May 2017 at 09:34..
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 11:55   #15
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

We had the pleasure of meeting, but never got his name, the last engine driver of the Scots Guardsman whilst it was run by British Railways before the engine was 'Retired' from the railway.

His daughter had decided that her Dad needed a nice surprise on his 86th birthday. Because of Health & Safety he was not allowed to travel on the footplate whilst the engine was in motion. But was allowed to climb aboard onto the footplate whilst it was stationary. However I believe he may have travelled a short distance, but.........................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4570.jpg (139.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4544.jpg (133.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4546.jpg (114.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4557.jpg (128.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4563.jpg (141.5 KB, 11 views)

onen hag oll
Old 14th May 2017, 11:59   #16
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Saw a very nice Silver 75 Tourer parked at Carlisle Station. On private plates, although I have erased part of the plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4566.jpg (140.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4565.jpg (135.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4567.jpg (138.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4553.jpg (124.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4587.jpg (141.4 KB, 9 views)

onen hag oll
Old 14th May 2017, 12:01   #17
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Some shots at Appley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4590.jpg (137.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4591.jpg (137.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4595.jpg (134.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4601.jpg (126.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4635.jpg (127.2 KB, 9 views)

onen hag oll
Old 14th May 2017, 22:38   #18
Bluejon
Cumbria & N/Lancs Regional Secretary

2003 Rover 75 Saloon [Royal Blue] + 1999 Rover 75 Saloon [Duo-Tone Bacchus/Zircon Silver]

Thanked 1,656 Times in 769 Posts

Hi Bob,

Wish we had known sooner,could have popped up to Carlisle for a quick catch up,still so glad you had a great day full of good memories for you,oh! & the aroma of hot oil & steam with a couple or three vino's thrown in for good measure, don't get much better than that mate.

Take care, hope to see you soon Bob.

John & Jan.
Old 14th May 2017, 23:01   #19
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

I hope you had a grand time. I love the olde choo choo trains! Reminds me of work experience I did at the bluebell railway! fantastic pieces of engineering!
Old 15th May 2017, 06:59   #20
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Nice photo's, thanks Bob .

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote