Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th March 2007, 18:05   #1
tourerfogey
Banned

Default '07 reg Rovers - future problems?

It has been said on these forums 'that any Rover registered after 31/12/06 will have to pass SVA test, which if in factory spec, it should do with no problem, other than cost!!'

I'd heard that too, but any car submitted for an SVA (for which the emission requirements are different than for a mass produced vehicle) should then be registered on a Q plate not an 07 plate so it seems to me that these newly registered Rovers may be slipping through the net and being registered as '07 when they shouldn't be and possibly have not been through an SVA.

If so then I wonder what will happen in 3 years time when they get emission tested at their 1st MOT and do not pass at the figures applicable for an 07 reg car?

If I am wrong can someone please enlighten me as to what the situation really is
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 19:14   #2
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

TF, I think you're wrong about the Q plate, I understand there's a "new" certificate issued for these cars, which allows an age related plate - 07 - to be issued. There are lots of kit cars, having gone through SVA, and built from mainly new bits which are reg'd as new.

Q plates are mostly issued when the ancestry of the vehicle is not known, HP snatch-backs sometimes included, which is probably why there seems to be a good few Q plate XR3's!!

(my understanding only comes from being issued with a Q plate initially for my JZR, and it taking many months to persuade the authorities to reconsider, and eventually issue a plate related to the age of the donor bike, where most of the bits that weren't new came from)

Don't know about future emissions problems though, except that I wouldn't have thought that the reg number would matter, isn't it the DATE of first reg, not the reg number that dictates a car's age?

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 22:59   #3
mach1rob
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
isn't it the DATE of first reg, not the reg number that dictates a car's age?
Yes, but if it was registered pre March 07 then it wouldn't be eligible for an 07 plate

If Q plates were necessary for all vehicles submitted for SVA, then why do new Yanks have normal 07 plates and not Q ones?

AFAIK they were only issued where no determinal age of the vehicle could ge gained, as in kit cars sourced from various makes and models etc, and this still stands, but if you can proved the date of manufacture you now get an age related plate, be it 07 or V X or Y.

My 75 being re-imported from Jersey gained it's old UK plate back, however, it would have got another V prefix plate if the original was no longer available, even though the new date of registration is now Feb 07.
mach1rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 00:28   #4
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

all this plate stuff confuses me (not hard)

Over here in Northern Ireland, if we bring a car in from GB we have the option to run it on its original plates, or we can register it onto a current NI plate. they issue current plates regardless of age, so its not unusual to see a 15 year old car on a new plate. (although we don't actually have the year on our plates like in the south of Ireland) This also applies to "cherished number" transfers, as a lot of NI plates are very much sought after in the UK and a lot of plates get sold, I have myself owned 3 cars none of which was on their original numbers.

QNI plates (as opposed to Q plates) are only issued when the original cars identity cannot be verified (such as kit cars or major restorations) so any car with a traceable heritage will get a new plate.
Old 30th March 2007, 09:15   #5
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC123 View Post

Over here in Northern Ireland
To further confuse, my England based 75 has a Northern Ireland plate, which I bought because it just happens to have my initials........

Yes, Mach1rob, it would have to be first reg'd after March 1 to have an 07 plate, and if a MGR, pass SVA, and, I believe, have to have evidence of "newness", so as to prove its ancestry, otherwise have the dreaded Q plate.

Did I read somewhere on here that an 07 plated 75/zt bought from SMC Slough had been put through SVA by SMC?

Malcolm

Last edited by baxlin; 30th March 2007 at 14:38..
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 12:26   #6
tourerfogey
Banned

all this plate stuff confuses me (not hard)

Join the gang - the system is obviously not what I thought but it does seem to be open to some interpretation!
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote