Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st June 2010, 18:39   #21
Departed
Retired

--

There is another aspect to consider. The car at the front has for sure chosen to travel at that speed. It's their right, but I do agree they should think about the affect.

Now any of the cars behind, may or may not want to go faster and overtake, but do not believe that it's safe to do so with their capabilties (driver and vehicle) where you judge for whatever reason, that they should overtake.

I have often had problems where I am waiting for somewhere I can safely pass a slow driver, and some other driver has decided that I am guilty of driving too slowly, tried to pass the line of traffic and met a car coming the other way and pulled into a space that wasn't there, causing me to have to brake extremely hard to avoid a collision that they would view as being my fault for driving too slowly.

I also have to agree that no-one made you drive that way except you. While it might be frustrating and irritating, you will one day learn that other people do drive more slowly than you.

Oh, and do I drive at 43.75 MPH everywhere (30s and 60s)? No most certainly not. I drive at the speed that I judge the conditions warrant, while keeping to the speed limit as an absolute maximum.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:40   #22
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

I have been 'invited' by our constabulary to attend a 'speed awareness' course.Maybe some of the previous posters would care to join me ? ,
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:43   #23
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
I have been 'invited' by our constabulary to attend a 'speed awareness' course.Maybe some of the previous posters would care to join me ? ,
No thanks. I've been to several and that's quite enough
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:51   #24
jamesgreen
Loves to post

MG-ZT CDTI + ROVER 75T CDTI

Default slow cars

the trouble is people dont know the speed limit on the road they just guess it.
i always drive at the speed indiacted by the signs.but as ever there are factors which may decrease your speed its knowing how to handle the car and the road in those conditions.
with regards to the modern day driver i remember my hgv instructor saying "we dont teach you to drive we teach you to pass a test"
jamesgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:52   #25
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Don't invite that John.com, he might get caught speeding on the way there!

You could of course invite me, but I'm too old n frail for all that go faster nonesense...

Last edited by James.uk; 1st June 2010 at 18:57..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 19:03   #26
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Had a clean licence now for 40 years.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 19:34   #27
BlackMagic
Loves to post

Used to have: MG ZT 190 SE+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowedb View Post
Now any of the cars behind, may or may not want to go faster and overtake, but do not believe that it's safe to do so with their capabilties (driver and vehicle) where you judge for whatever reason, that they should overtake.
Fair point - not everyone is as lucky as me and gets to drive a top class sporting saloon.
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 19:34   #28
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

An interseting discussion.
Now for a spanner in the works.
I was driving back from Teeside to Ayrshire a couple of weeks ago.(In an brand new 1.6 Astra Turbo, suprisingly a very nice car). I was doing a steady 60mph when I caught up with a couple of cars ahead of me and had to slow down to 40 ish. Due to the nature of the road there was no opertunity for me to get pass and inevatibly a queue of card formed behind me. After what seeemed a life time the road opened up I waited a few seconds to see if the cars in front would overtake, nothing, checked my mirrors, all clear, indicated, checked mirrors again all clear and floored it. After passing the first of the three vehicles an Audi which had been about 4 cars behind me started overtaking and then proceeded to flash and sound his horn at me, sat right on my tail and then once I pulled in overtook me, swung in fornt of me and jammed his brakes on.
I guess the moral of the story is another time I'll stay put because I don't want to become a victim of some ********s road rage and end up being cut out a car.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 21:43   #29
BlackMagic
Loves to post

Used to have: MG ZT 190 SE+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
I guess the moral of the story is another time I'll stay put because I don't want to become a victim of some ********s road rage and end up being cut out a car.
If I were you I'd take a note of their number and report them to the cops - they're just being unbelievably stupid and deserve a wee knock at their door
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 22:05   #30
James_Death
Gets stuck in

EX.2001 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.0, CDT,155 Brake, BRG

If the traffic is well below the limit say 40 in a 60 and conditions are safe to do so i will travel at the limit or just below.
If the traffic is a bit congested but moving at a good pace say on motorway or dual cariageway and i get someone behind me coming up fast ill pull over but if there is no space to pull over and just as much trafic in front of me no matter how much they flash there lights if we are at the limit i aint moving over because they are not going to get any further than one car length.
Im also a biker and done all the speed thing 3x the motorway koff koff...
Just the once...
I see no end of supposedly sports cars try to bait me but i never rise to it... what i do love is when they are stuck in traffic and i just filter steadily through.
Since i only worked some 6 miles away from home i used to have a de-restricted 50cc that did 65mph and the times i would be at lights and there would be a car revving at the side of me was so sad often taxis
I could still out accelerate them.
As stated there are all sorts on the roads and some do take exception, i had my cousin on the back of a bike once and a group of lads in a bmw 5 didnt like been overtaken and proceded to try and rear end us.
We ended going nearly flat out to get away and came off the motorway into a services and lost them through the petrol station...that was scary..
James_Death is offline   Reply With Quote