Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th July 2013, 23:35   #1
trimani
Passed Away

ROVER 75 V6 2Ltr 2001 AUTO / EMERALD MOTORBILITY SCOOTER

Default Speaker Upgrade

I have just fitted Radioguy's (Sean) DD Unit, and I am considering upgrading speakers to Harmon Kardon. Any opinions ?

trimani (Alf)
trimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 00:02   #2
arodriguez
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club 1.8T SE

I'd go for some decent aftermarket component speakers. They'll certainly outperform the HK setup. Do a search on the forum for recommendations. The HK is really only worthwhile if you are set on keeping the car totally MG Rover. This guy knows his stuff and is a Rover buff..

www.clactonelectronics.co.uk

Email me: [email protected]
Give me a call on 07519 667145
arodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 06:22   #3
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Don't do it!
I did the same fitted full HK set up and it was pants! I then removed it 4 weeks later and fitted component speakers in all doors.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 06:48   #4
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

I don't know what the power output is on these Chinese DD units, but this is the main factor. Standard head units like the Symphony 25w and the Harmony, which I think is about 7w a channel struggle to drive speakers to decent sound reproduction.

Kenwood head units which are 50w per channel will drive the standard Goodmans speakers to an acceptable quality.

Harman/Kardon mid bass door speakers are only slightly better than the standard setup, perhaps the metal construction aids in some way. The H/K tweeters are much better, you can actually hear them, particularly if fitted in the rear doors.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 06:51   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez View Post
I'd go for some decent aftermarket component speakers. They'll certainly outperform the HK setup. Do a search on the forum for recommendations. The HK is really only worthwhile if you are set on keeping the car totally MG Rover. This guy knows his stuff and is a Rover buff..

www.clactonelectronics.co.uk

Email me: [email protected]
Give me a call on 07519 667145
Thanks for the recommendation Tony
Alf and I are already acquainted
Agreed with what Tony and Simon have already said.
A set of 6.5inch components will be an improvement on the Hk setup and probably cost less money into the bargain
Old 27th July 2013, 06:55   #6
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
I don't know what the power output is on these Chinese DD units, but this is the main factor. Standard head units like the Symphony 25w and the Harmony, which I think is about 7w a channel struggle to drive speakers to decent sound reproduction.

Kenwood head units which are 50w per channel will drive the standard Goodmans speakers to an acceptable quality.

Harman/Kardon mid bass door speakers are only slightly better than the standard setup, perhaps the metal construction aids in some way. The H/K tweeters are much better, you can actually hear them, particularly if fitted in the rear doors.
Hi Paul,
The double dins are around the 50watts a channel power output figure ( take those figures with a large pinch of salt as they are music power not a true RMS figure ) and will drive most component speaker systems easily.
Although adding further amplification would bring greater control to the speakers if you wish to spend more
Old 27th July 2013, 09:18   #7
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

I must be honest - I have the HK setup in my car, and...it's not brilliant.

It's very nice, but considering its supposed to be premium with rear subwoofer etc, its no better than many decent standard sterio's in family hatchbacks! Or is it my ears?

The best ICE I've had yet was the factory setup in my 1999 Saab 9-3, it was outstanding.
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 09:30   #8
S7ARBVCK
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT 2002

Best stereo I've ever had was in my 2005 Ford Mustang GT - premium 1000watt shaker system.

It shook...!

I'm looking to get a DD from Sean, but in the short term, if I wanted to get myself decent audio performance out of the current head unit for as minimal money as possible, what should I do?

Components in the front doors, a sub and a little amp? That's all just words ive pulled off this forum, by the way - I have no idea how to rig up a stereo! Any help would be appreciated! :-)

Oh, and CHEAP is the important word here...!
S7ARBVCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 09:36   #9
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

In no way am I any expert in this field, but I was told years ago to spend the money on speakers, as even a cheap head unit will sound better.

It's certainly worked for me in the past, although I'm not in to amps/subwoofers/etc! I just like good sound but don't need to shake the car!
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 10:07   #10
trimani
Passed Away

ROVER 75 V6 2Ltr 2001 AUTO / EMERALD MOTORBILITY SCOOTER

Thanks Guys

So it would seem that component speakers are a better option than the 6 1/2 inch Harmon Kardon.

I also see a good recommendation for the Harmon Kardon tweeters, especially if fitted front & back.

If that is the case would it be a good idea to fit mains as components & use Harmon Kardon tweeters ? I do like the idea of the tweeters making it look OE.

So, Component speakers. What make, & how much (funds are very tight).

If I use component speakers do I have to start modifying fittings. I cant do that. Anything I do has got to be more or less plug & play !

Thanks for all the replies.

trimani (Alf)

PS I've realised this should be in ICE . Sorry, I expect it to be moved.
trimani is offline   Reply With Quote