Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd August 2008, 17:10   #11
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5V6 autobox, Rover Streetwise 2.0 DTi, MG ZR160

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw1973 View Post
TBH at this price it would save you a lot of cash to take a weekend trip to the UK. The same system over here will cost you around £400. Tie in the cost of travel and accommadation and you should still have saved and had a nice weekend away.
Hi Paul,

What!?... We came just back last Saturday from a short holiday in the UK. This was to visit Lates (great team those guy’s, but boy what a bad weather!) and after that we have been a couple of day’s near Hereford.

I don’t see my back box that often, but I was shocked by the state as it was last weekend. In spite of the fuel, I don’t mind to visit the UK again if the quality is as good as I have seen here. When it will be a stainless steel one, this might be an option.

Thanks,

Rob.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
robwijnstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:19   #12
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
Hi Rob,

Tickover - when the engine is idling & not working hard. For example, when you are waiting at a junction, or stationary in a traffic jam.

I know Holland quite well and with no hills maybe my exhaust would be too loud for you, if you spend most of the time between 2000-3000rpm!

You can ask for the quietest one, I wanted one with a bit more noise than the OEM one. I have a 25 year warranty with it, which is probably longer than the car will last!

Tot straks!
Dank je wel Tatts,

Knap hoor dat je in het Nederlands antwoord!
25 Years warranty is not bad at all. When cruising on the main roads I do 2500rpm @ 120kmh, so just in the middle...

Rob.
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:52   #13
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandyman View Post
I went for a CAT back stainless steel twin system
Tanks for your reply Kandyman,

As a matter of fact, we were also given the option for a twin system as you have also with two straight pipes coming through the bumper. But we were told that these systems (with two back boxes) are louder than one. When I am correct, your muffler tip is a non silenced type? I learned that these are sold in a silenced, and non silenced types. I am very interested what sort of sound yours is making. Any MP3’s? And how does it sound when you drive?

On the Saloon type I think it look’s awesome, but for a Tourer I think it is not done. Never saw a two exhaust system on a Tourer myself.

What sort of guarantee do you have got with it?
Did you notice any of the here in Holland claimed increasing BHP and MPG’s.?
Do you have still two mufflers between the cat and the Y part, or just one?

Rob.
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:35   #14
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

I have a life time guarantee as long as i get it checked over once a year.

yes it is loud with 2 pipes would of went for a slight quite one if i had know more i don't notice anything with BHP or MPG's

Do you have still two mufflers between the cat and the Y part, or just one?

still 2

Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 12:36   #15
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Thanks for your nice pictures Kandyman.

I would love to hear the sound of such a system.

Rob.
Old 24th August 2008, 12:54   #16
Sancho
Loves to post

Mercedes 220SE Coupe, Mitsubishi Delica, Nissan Micra

Rob, I have (on another vehicle) had a stainless steel cat back system put on. An experienced fitter will be able to take the old system off, listen to the raw sound from the cat and put a system together that makes the noise you want.

Especially with turbo engines, it's important to get a fitter that knows what they're doing and keeps the flow right.

In terms of price versus longevity and looks, I would always go for custom SS over OEM. If you wish, there is no reason why they can't replicate your exact system but in SS. It is, however, an opportunity to get a bit more of a deep note and give your engine the chance to breathe a little easier.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 12:00   #17
majedm75
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5V6+Auto - Pack Luxe & Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwijnstok View Post
Thanks Pete,

To be honest, I could have been the inventor of penny-pinchers. This is why I can drive my 75 (did you refuel lately?), I am just a normal working guy with a average job and average salary. So I must be careful what to do with my centen (your penny’s ) and euro’s (your pound’s). That’s just the reason why I try to get as much as info before a decision on things with prices like I mentioned before. Mind you… before we purchased our 75 I could not sleep for several nights. Shall I, shall I not…, shall I? But we have done it, and we love the 75 more and more each day.

I hope this will be happening with the exhaust also, when I can make up my mind!

Thanks again,

Rob.
I have the same problems as you Rob. I'll follow you in your decisions as well
majedm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 09:12   #18
majedm75
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5V6+Auto - Pack Luxe & Sterling

Hi Rob,

Any news and update concerning the exhaust?

Today, I checked with the following auto service centers near me with the following results:

- Norauto: They said that they do not have any R75 exhaust systems in stock and could not get any at all

- Midas: They advised the contrary. They do not have the parts, but I could call them 24 or better 48 hours ahead, and they would have the parts ready. The job could be done on a Saturday morning. Currently, and until 11th of October, they have a 20% discount on the exhaust boxes. Total price was estimated at 290 euros (back box + needed parts, including labour)
majedm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 17:12   #19
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Hi Majed,

Searching on different “75” sites I have read that most people who have fitted a complete SS exhaust or just a SS back box mention that the noise is louder. I think there are more people who are reporting that the “SS” sound is a bit too loud and there are just the couple of people mentioning that the sound is more or less the same, names of manufacturers of the “silent” types are not found by me. The most people who do like the louder sound are ZT drivers as far a I can recall. With the more sporty character of the ZT I think that a bit more sound just fits perfect. I probably would go for a SS one if I would have a ZT.

But… I have a 75 and not a ZT, and I like the sound of my 75 like it is. So I have made up my mind, and I will not go for the adventure of getting a SS box or complete system fitted with the risk of getting too much noise. For this reason I have ordered an “original, made in China” back box at a Rover dealer. It is the first shipment made by, or made for Roewe back boxes. Last week there were only 6 back boxes delivered to Metz in France, 4 were on back order, so 2 left, and one of the two is for me if the order was processed on time. I know that after a while a non SS back box will disintegrate again but I will have to live with that. I never take the 75 out for short trips or city drives so the back box should be driven always warm enough to vaporise the damp in it each time the car is started, and hopefully the life time is extended by that. I believe the previous owner did also lots of short trips for shopping etc, and for that reason the back box is as bad as it is right now, I hope I am right on this point.

Tomorrow I can check if the back box is indeed received by the dealer, and an appointment can be made to fit it.
Price is € 295,00 ex. fitting and needed parts .
This is not cheap, but at least the sound should be OK.

Rob.

Last edited by robwijnstok; 21st September 2008 at 17:16..