Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd August 2008, 12:32   #1
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5V6 autobox, Rover Streetwise 2.0 DTi, MG ZR160

Default Help needed with making up my mind. 75 - V6 exhaust experiences wanted.

Hi all!

Last weekend while washing my 75, I noticed that the original exhaust back box is getting bad. I can see a large part of the inner skin, and what is left of the outer skin is very rusty!

I called a couple of Rover dealers here in Holland to ask for the price for a new one fitted. Prices are from € 300,= (£ 234,=) incl. VAT up to € 500,= (£ 390,=) for the back box only!!! Now my guess is come true that some of the (Rover) garages here in Holland just ask what a fool will pay. There should be a law against that! I think some garages trust that you have an acute problem, and there fore the price is less important for us customers on such a moment. Who can be trusted these days?

Reading all about back boxes on the forum I was triggered by stainless steel back boxes from different manufactures. So I looked on the internet on a site of a Dutch manufacturer, who can make tailored exhaust systems. SWMBO and I went there yesterday to take a look what sort of company this is. I think they do a good job from what I saw during our tour. They have all the tools for bending the pipes and fitting is done by welding and via clamps. They have dozens of mufflers, and when the old exhaust is cut off (from the cat) they can fit any combination of mufflers that are the right size for my car, so the best sound can be chosen by me as customer.

However….! They make a reserve that the sound will perhaps not be as quiet as the original. When stationary I can hardly hear my engine (music is always off because of that) so a nice gurgle I would not mind. But while driving I would still like the absence of sound because I am not driving a Honda Civic or VW Golf GTI. The guy who helped me told me that stationary sound will be a bit more louder, while driving it would not be too loud. But how can I know what is “not too loud”? When the original is cut off there is no easy way back.

So I am puzzled now…,
Search for a dealer who will sell and fit an original back box for a normal price?
Or buy a tailor made stainless steel exhaust from cat till back box. Guarantee is life time (this is as long as the 75 is registered on my name). The cost will be higher off course but exhaust is no issue anymore. They will charge me € 1000,= (£ 780,=) for a system with 2 mufflers to € 1200,= (£ 940,=) for a system with 3 mufflers, depending of my choice of the sound. The stainless steel they use is AISI 304 quality, mufflers are absorption types, the filling material is stainless steel wool, what can not be blown out during it’s life time. Reflection mufflers with chambers are not used. It takes about 6 to 7 hours for the fitting, cutting, bending and welding.

I can not make up my mind. SWMBO told me “Go for the stainless steel one…” but I still hesitate.
Must I change the back box for an original?
- Pro is that the sound is like it is now, in a style that belongs to the car. But it will have to be replaced by an other one in perhaps 5 years like the one I have now.
- Contra is that the original back boxes are very expensive given the fact that they are consumables. At some point the other 2 mufflers will have to be replaced to.

Or change the complete system for a tailor made stainless steel one?
- Pro is life time guarantee, at least for me. At stationary revs probably more gurgle, what is nice. And during the tour at the firm that I mentioned I was also told that probably some BHP increasing and a bit more MPG can be achieved because the gasses flow more easy through an exhaust with absorption mufflers than one with reflection chambers like the 3 originals.
- Contra is a one time expensive price, and no way to experience the sound when driving, so what to do when it is too loud while driving?

Dear forum members,
Are there members with a prejudice opinion over OEM mufflers versus stainless steel?
Are there members where the rest of the original exhaust was so bad that it had to be replaced also? After how many years did that happen?
What are the experiences of drivers with stainless steel exhausts regarding the sound, I am aware that it is a complete other brand? I can imagine that some MG drivers love more sound what fits a sporty way of driving, but I like to drive the car easy and “in style” with the sound that fits such a style.
Are there any known down side experiences regarding stainless steel exhausts?

My back box will last for a couple of weeks or months, but I want it replaced for the winter.
I would like to keep our 75 as long as we can afford it, and as long as I can pay for my fuel.
Normally I drive my 75 to work 25 km (15miles) main roads, 5 days a week. The 75 is normally not used for short urban drives, but the previous owner did.
Our 75 is a MK1 KV6 2.5 Tourer 2003.

I read for my self now that this has become a topic of some extent, but I would like to make a good deliberate choice, and the forum is the only place for honest answers for me.

Thanks in advance, I must say I can’t wait to see your reply’s.

Rob.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
robwijnstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:44   #2
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Personally Rob I'm a bit of a penny-pincher so I would go for a cheaper option unles there are real quality or safety concerns. However, I would imagine the custom made system wouldn't actually be hugely different in terms of overall noise by volume and may even be nicer in tone. If it's made to a high standard, fits without drumming on the floorpan, and comes with a generous guarantee then I would say go for it.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:36   #3
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Rob, I've just replaced my back box, some details & photos here:
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=24059

Are there members with a prejudice opinion over OEM mufflers versus stainless steel?
Yes, the availability & price of OEM makes them too expensive & hard to locate, thats why I went with the SS option.

Are there members where the rest of the original exhaust was so bad that it had to be replaced also? After how many years did that happen?

I just needed the back box, as one of the brackets (hangers) had rusted through, and the outer skin on the back box was also very rusty & flaking.

What are the experiences of drivers with stainless steel exhausts regarding the sound, I am aware that it is a complete other brand? I can imagine that some MG drivers love more sound what fits a sporty way of driving, but I like to drive the car easy and “in style” with the sound that fits such a style.
Are there any known down side experiences regarding stainless steel exhausts?

Where I got mine, the salesman said I could have it as loud or quiet as I like. I opted for the middle. It has a nice V6 'burble' on tickover. It is a bit loud between 2000-3000RPM under hard acceleration, but over 3000rpm, it's as quiet as the OEM, which is good for long distance, high speed cruising.

Hope that answers a couple of questions for you - I'm pleased with mine!
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:00   #4
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwijnstok View Post
Hi all!

SWMBO and I went there yesterday to take a look what sort of company this is. ...... SWMBO told me “Go for the stainless steel one…”
Your wife went with you to see an exhaust maunfacturer. Wow. has she got a sister

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:39   #5
paulw1973
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Conn CDT SE Auto

They will charge me € 1000,= (£ 780,=) for a system with 2 mufflers to € 1200,= (£ 940,=) for a system with 3 mufflers, depending of my choice of the sound.

TBH at this price it would save you a lot of cash to take a weekend trip to the UK. The same system over here will cost you around £400. Tie in the cost of travel and accommadation and you should still have saved and had a nice weekend away.

Member 4296
paulw1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:50   #6
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Personally Rob I'm a bit of a penny-pincher so I would go for a cheaper option unles there are real quality or safety concerns.
Thanks Pete,

To be honest, I could have been the inventor of penny-pinchers. This is why I can drive my 75 (did you refuel lately?), I am just a normal working guy with a average job and average salary. So I must be careful what to do with my centen (your penny’s ) and euro’s (your pound’s). That’s just the reason why I try to get as much as info before a decision on things with prices like I mentioned before. Mind you… before we purchased our 75 I could not sleep for several nights. Shall I, shall I not…, shall I? But we have done it, and we love the 75 more and more each day.

I hope this will be happening with the exhaust also, when I can make up my mind!

Thanks again,

Rob.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:25   #7
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
Where I got mine, the salesman said I could have it as loud or quiet as I like. I opted for the middle. It has a nice V6 'burble' on tickover. It is a bit loud between 2000-3000RPM under hard acceleration, but over 3000rpm, it's as quiet as the OEM, which is good for long distance, high speed cruising.

Hope that answers a couple of questions for you - I'm pleased with mine!
Hi Tatts,

Thanks, you as a ZT driver can appreciate the more sporty sound, I can imagine that. By the way, what do you mean by “tickover” is that changing gear? Mine has an autobox so no advantage there for me in that case.

Many times I read on the forum about members who are revving up to 4000 to 5000 rpm and higher. Normally I drive very steady , that is in flat Holland. I hardly ever touch the 3000rpm. While we were in England last week we have done a tour through Wales, then our 75 really had to work, and on some hills 4000 to 5000 rpm cannot be prevented, but she loved it, we too by the way!

But back to the exhaust, I think if I go for the stainless steel one, I have to chose the most silent one I guess…
Nice pictures of your ZT! Did they told you anything about the life expectancy of the rest of the exhaust?

Thanks again for your reply,

Rob.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:33   #8
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Hi Rob,

Tickover - when the engine is idling & not working hard. For example, when you are waiting at a junction, or stationary in a traffic jam.

I know Holland quite well and with no hills maybe my exhaust would be too loud for you, if you spend most of the time between 2000-3000rpm!

You can ask for the quietest one, I wanted one with a bit more noise than the OEM one. I have a 25 year warranty with it, which is probably longer than the car will last!

Tot straks!
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:34   #9
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

I went for a CAT back stainless steel twin system,

Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:06   #10
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
Your wife went with you to see an exhaust maunfacturer. Wow. has she got a sister
Hi Steve,

As a matter of fact, she does have a sister! BUT….
Unfortunately her husband drives a Saab… and she has no feeling for cars at all. Even no drivers license!
Ahum..., not to mention my mother in law ? It's a package deal, she comes for free.

SWMBO however, loved the tour, what was very, very interesting for both of us, and if it will become a stainless steel exhaust, she will join me again to listen how the sound appears! She loves the 75 as much as I do.

Rob.