Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th July 2011, 20:34   #1
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Question Blue smoke R75 1.8 Turbo

Blue smoke 1.8 Turbo
Hi Guys, Looking for clues to possible cause of blue smoke on my 1.8T Tourer. Non when started from cold, present at times with hot engine on normal and moderate acceleration, light trailing throttle and over run, no appreciable loss of coolant or oil, no signs of contamination between the two.

Car was MoT at 74675 miles on 30th June 2011 with good emission levels:
fast idle 2930 RPM CO 0.08 &Vol Max fig. 0.20
HC 18 PPM max 200
Lambda reading 1.011 Pass 0.9790/1.030
natural idle 800 RPM
CO 0.03 % Vol max 0.30

That to me indicates no similar problems at time of test, am I correct?

Some History, 17 Dec 09 Turbo replaced, mileage not shown, but 10 Jan 09 seviced at 54236 miles

MoT July 2009 at 59111 miles, Mot again June 2010 at 69804 miles so turbo replaced around middle period or say 65000.

earlier history HG replaced, new bolts, 3 belts, water pump and thermostat
etc in mar 08 at 45384 miles.

There have been other services but again no mileages shown, current miles 76000.

No smoke on cold start up in the morning seems to rule out valve seals,
can't believe turbo on way out again after less than 12000 miles, it is now due (on date) for another service as indicates due in 5500 miles, car runs well with no problems apart from this smoke issue, any K-series experts throw any advice please.
Chips
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 20:54   #2
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

sounds like the turbo is on its way out to me ...
Old 11th July 2011, 21:11   #3
MisterTomez
Gets stuck in

'00 BMW 535i Auto M-Sport, '99 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto

I'd suggest turbo oil seals before replacing the whole lot again, unless there's blow by on the piston rings but I doubt that unless it's suffered damage in the past from HGF or oil loss.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Trimmed like a first class cabin on the Titanic...before it sank." ---------- "The LPG'd, civilized psychopath."
MisterTomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 17:45   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
Blue smoke 1.8 Turbo
Hi Guys, Looking for clues to possible cause of blue smoke on my 1.8T Tourer. Non when started from cold, present at times with hot engine on normal and moderate acceleration, light trailing throttle and over run, no appreciable loss of coolant or oil, no signs of contamination between the two.

Car was MoT at 74675 miles on 30th June 2011 with good emission levels:
fast idle 2930 RPM CO 0.08 &Vol Max fig. 0.20
HC 18 PPM max 200
Lambda reading 1.011 Pass 0.9790/1.030
natural idle 800 RPM
CO 0.03 % Vol max 0.30

That to me indicates no similar problems at time of test, am I correct?

Some History, 17 Dec 09 Turbo replaced, mileage not shown, but 10 Jan 09 seviced at 54236 miles

MoT July 2009 at 59111 miles, Mot again June 2010 at 69804 miles so turbo replaced around middle period or say 65000.

earlier history HG replaced, new bolts, 3 belts, water pump and thermostat
etc in mar 08 at 45384 miles.

There have been other services but again no mileages shown, current miles 76000.

No smoke on cold start up in the morning seems to rule out valve seals,
can't believe turbo on way out again after less than 12000 miles, it is now due (on date) for another service as indicates due in 5500 miles, car runs well with no problems apart from this smoke issue, any K-series experts throw any advice please.
Chips
I'd try a compression test first, then if you have reasonable figures, around 150 P.S.I. +-5 P.S.I, remove the suction pipe to the turbo compressor to check for play in the shaft, but sadly it sounds like turbo failure, perhaps the oil feed/drain pipework, wasn't replaced at the time of the original failure.
Hope you sort it out
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 19:12   #5
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Hi Brian, thanks for your reply, new rear box coming tomorrow and was about to book into local garage for oil service + compression check, but gets stranger, yesterday after initial 70 mile run, with outside temp at 23c and warm engine from first trip, smoke appeared throughout the day after approx 1.5 miles every time, clouds clearly visible in mirrors, when parking with helper verified actually coming from exhaust pipes.

Today, two 20 mile runs varied roads inc. M27 and no smoke what ever. Has no oil tops up for some time so not recently overfilled, all levels today are same as early yesterday morning,no top up needed.

Tempted to get the service and compression test while rear box fitted and if all normal, look no further at this time, have AA Breakdown if worst happens for recovery and possible repairs
Chips

Last edited by chipsceola; 12th July 2011 at 19:14..
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:48   #6
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Well it's been more than 10-days since exhaust 'smoked' and not smoked again since!

Clearly it must have got oil from somewhere into the exhaust, from where I know not, as I said it hadn't been topped up for some time, and still hasn't been and level is as it should be. Been driven an extra couple of 100 miles, mixed driving including m/way and with 2 different drivers, still no smoke. Turbo was replaced in Dec 09 around 12000 miles since, no strange noises, no performance issues and good emissions when MoT just days prior to smoking episode ..... and no further forward to identifying the cause.
Chips
Old 23rd July 2011, 18:19   #7
dagriise

mg zt-t

Default Blue smoke..

Hello,
I also have a 1,8t. Mg tourer that has developed a "blue/white" smoke problem..(burning oil, i assume) In my book there are usually two possible reasons for this problem.. + the turbo thing... (im a classic biker, so dont know to much about turbos) Valve seals, piston rings or turbo problems.. The smoking apears worst when the car is taking of from cold, and apears for a few minutes. I tried the "running the car downhill whith no trottle, and then pushing it hard", no smoke.. (should rule out the valve seals?) and that leaves me with the oil rings on the pistons.. or turbo.

Is it worth restoring the turbo, or should one simply get a new one?
(the car has done about 100 000 miles. -170 000km.)

Is there any known problems/ solutions about this?

Regards Dag
Norway
dagriise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:42   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
Well it's been more than 10-days since exhaust 'smoked' and not smoked again since!

Clearly it must have got oil from somewhere into the exhaust, from where I know not, as I said it hadn't been topped up for some time, and still hasn't been and level is as it should be. Been driven an extra couple of 100 miles, mixed driving including m/way and with 2 different drivers, still no smoke. Turbo was replaced in Dec 09 around 12000 miles since, no strange noises, no performance issues and good emissions when MoT just days prior to smoking episode ..... and no further forward to identifying the cause.
Chips
Is there a crankcase breather on your engine ??

If so it might have been partially blocked and has now cleared itself.

High pressure in the crankcase can force oil up past the piston rings.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:09   #9
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
dagriise: Is there any known problems/ solutions about this? Regards Dag Norway.
Any drop in coolant level? If so might be worth checking the spark plugs, pay particular attention to plugs 1 and 4 to see if they look cleaner/whiter than the others. If so then your inlet manifold gasket is probably leaking.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 11:46   #10
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Is there a crankcase breather on your engine ??

If so it might have been partially blocked and has now cleared itself.

High pressure in the crankcase can force oil up past the piston rings.
Hi Colvert, a temporary blockage in the crankcase breather could induce oil into the exhaust if it then cleared itself as you say and may well explain the blue smoke, but would this not also affect the emission levels while partially blocked?

Only about a week before the car was MoT'd with CO2 level showing 0.08 (max 0.20) on fast idle / with 0.03 on natural idle (max 0.30 %Vol) and HC 18ppm (max 200) if I assume there was a blockage I don't suppose there is now any way of verifying this or further action needed at this time.
Chips