Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th June 2023, 09:26   #71
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTheTyke View Post
Condenser now being delivered tomorrow, and car successfully de-gassed (had lost about 100g of refrigerant over 10/11 days) so I plan to attempt the job on Saturday.

Quote:
Fella at the garage gave me some good advice, to make sure I lubricate the o rings, but hoping that won’t be too tricky

Am I right in thinking the new condenser will have desiccant as part of it? I didn’t see any mention of it on DMGRS, but was another question asked at the garage.
Hi Tom.
A little silicone grease or red rubber grease lightly smeared onto & a little in the recess of the condenser joints will do the job, it will be a bumper off, slam panel off with lights attached, then removal of the fan after you have undone the to joints on the condenser, which will then lift off the two lugs it sits in, good luck allow your self at least 3 hours to do the job.

If you need any photos for help let me know and i can post some up for you.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2023, 13:16   #72
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur, MG TF 80th Anniversary

Thanks for the advice all.

Got the job done this morning. More like 5 hours with coffee breaks but got out nice and early before it gets too hot / leaving me time to watch the cricket this afternoon. Did also utilise some help to refit the bumper and slam panel.

Everything seemed to go OK. The old condenser didn't look too bad but some of the fins were indeed ready to crumble. The leak was definitely from the lower pipe to the condenser, but nothing too obvious. There was some crustiness on the O ring and it broke as I took it off, suggesting it had seen better days at least. Hoping the new O ring will stop the leak and the new condenser will improve the cooling.

The radiator also looked 'well worn,' but for now we had to settle for a soft brushing off of two decades of grass and flies.

New O rings were properly lubricated, pipe ends cleaned and all fitted with a reassuring click into position and the bolts were torqued properly, so I've given it about as good a go as I could. Re-gas will be whatever day I can get away from work next week, probably Weds or Thurs, so fingers crossed!

TomTheTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2023, 13:07   #73
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Keep us posted Tom.
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2023, 20:16   #74
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur, MG TF 80th Anniversary

Hopefully we now have success here (touch wood, having said that before).

New condenser was gassed up no problems on Thursday. Air con immediately seems colder and to be working better. Not had the chance to test it in really extreme temps yet but, have ‘challenged it’ to bring the temp down a few times having sat in the sun and all signs good.

Also no sign of any leaks where we had them before so hopefully the o ring has seated OK.

So having cost me another £60 of gas and £90 for a condenser fingers crossed there’s another few years of service to be had.
TomTheTyke is offline   Reply With Quote