Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th December 2016, 21:31   #1
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts
Default Hello again

Hello once again. Been having trouble with Internet for last two weeks or more. Could not have broken down at a worse time for me.Earlier this month, my son in Germany asked me to go down to Kent to have a look at a Mercedes SLK for him, which of course I did. Picked the worse day with regards weather to go. Took a mate with me, and after one of the worse trips I have ever had in all my driving life, he said he did not think he could have done it.Anyway, had a look and test drive and thought it was an ok car for the money and put a deposit on it and travelled back to Brum.Took us almost 12 hours for a round trip of 350 miles. Reported to my son what I thought, and he said ok. He transferred the money over, so had another journey down to Kent. This time my friend with the Rover Cdt Connie took me down to pick the Mercedes up. Took us 4hours less this time for the round trip.The Mercedes was more comfortable than I thought it would be being a sports version, hard suspension and all that..and achieved 32 mpg, not bad for a 3.2 litre cruising at around 80.
One problem I encountered when trying to get short term insurance for the Merc, I was told I was to old, what, at 76, clean licence full no claims. How come I can get 12 months insurance on the Rover? So enquired if I could insure the Mercedes short term on my own insurance, but was told that they do not do multi car insurance. #*^#?>. In the end I had to take the insurance off the Rover and put it temporary onto the Merc. Took the Merc over by shuttle to Calais, and stopped at the Ibis hotel at Couqelles Tunnel Sous la Manche where we have stopped for years when continent hopping. Highly recommend. Been there that often the manager knows us now. Set off for Germany on a frosty Tuesday morning on a 300 mile trip. Kept a steady 80? mph up nearly all the way. Arrived in remarkable condition in the afternoon. Quite comfortable considering I only stopped the once the other side Brussels to water my horse and have a drink and something to eat. Weather was sunny all the way, so really enjoyed the trip. The only bad point was in Belgium on the rough pave like road that is the E4. Thought I was going to be deaf at the end with the road noise from the wide tyres. Had tinnitus for about two days. Might have been not to bad if I had slowed down, but because there was not much traffic about, I felt lonely so kept my foot down. Yea. Son very pleased with car. Within two days of me flying back from Düsseldorf, he had put new headlights with the smoked lens on in place of the English lights, and put some new wheels with winter tyres on that he had bought already. I came back home and sent the export part of the v5 to the DVLA, to await the return of the tax from the Mercedes. All that he is waiting for now is the COC document from the DVLA so he can get it mot'd and start his posing raising the roof on the car. Myself.........."quite honestly I could not wait to get mine reinsured and on the road, which was done the following day. Now I am back in the limo all is nice and peaceful.Did not realise how quiet the Rover is, and comfortable. Although I enjoyed the journey on my own, in a car I would not buy, which was an auto, it was nice to get back in real car.
Looking forward to my 77th birthday tomorrow, so there must be life in the old geezer yet.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL AND KEEP SMILING.
Old 20th December 2016, 21:52   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Sounds like a bit of an adventure. Happy Birthday David - hope you have a good one!
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 22:26   #3
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Your trip doesn't sound too bad at all. Happy Rovering.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 06:45   #4
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hello once again. Been having trouble with Internet for last two weeks or more. Could not have broken down at a worse time for me.Earlier this month, my son in Germany asked me to go down to Kent to have a look at a Mercedes SLK for him, which of course I did. Picked the worse day with regards weather to go. Took a mate with me, and after one of the worse trips I have ever had in all my driving life, he said he did not think he could have done it.Anyway, had a look and test drive and thought it was an ok car for the money and put a deposit on it and travelled back to Brum.Took us almost 12 hours for a round trip of 350 miles. Reported to my son what I thought, and he said ok. He transferred the money over, so had another journey down to Kent. This time my friend with the Rover Cdt Connie took me down to pick the Mercedes up. Took us 4hours less this time for the round trip.The Mercedes was more comfortable than I thought it would be being a sports version, hard suspension and all that..and achieved 32 mpg, not bad for a 3.2 litre cruising at around 80.
One problem I encountered when trying to get short term insurance for the Merc, I was told I was to old, what, at 76, clean licence full no claims. How come I can get 12 months insurance on the Rover? So enquired if I could insure the Mercedes short term on my own insurance, but was told that they do not do multi car insurance. #*^#?>. In the end I had to take the insurance off the Rover and put it temporary onto the Merc. Took the Merc over by shuttle to Calais, and stopped at the Ibis hotel at Couqelles Tunnel Sous la Manche where we have stopped for years when continent hopping. Highly recommend. Been there that often the manager knows us now. Set off for Germany on a frosty Tuesday morning on a 300 mile trip. Kept a steady 80? mph up nearly all the way. Arrived in remarkable condition in the afternoon. Quite comfortable considering I only stopped the once the other side Brussels to water my horse and have a drink and something to eat. Weather was sunny all the way, so really enjoyed the trip. The only bad point was in Belgium on the rough pave like road that is the E4. Thought I was going to be deaf at the end with the road noise from the wide tyres. Had tinnitus for about two days. Might have been not to bad if I had slowed down, but because there was not much traffic about, I felt lonely so kept my foot down. Yea. Son very pleased with car. Within two days of me flying back from Düsseldorf, he had put new headlights with the smoked lens on in place of the English lights, and put some new wheels with winter tyres on that he had bought already. I came back home and sent the export part of the v5 to the DVLA, to await the return of the tax from the Mercedes. All that he is waiting for now is the COC document from the DVLA so he can get it mot'd and start his posing raising the roof on the car. Myself.........."quite honestly I could not wait to get mine reinsured and on the road, which was done the following day. Now I am back in the limo all is nice and peaceful.Did not realise how quiet the Rover is, and comfortable. Although I enjoyed the journey on my own, in a car I would not buy, which was an auto, it was nice to get back in real car.
Looking forward to my 77th birthday tomorrow, so there must be life in the old geezer yet.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL AND KEEP SMILING
Can`t read that blue, so if any others are the same, here it is in black
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 15:59   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Hi Ken. Sorry about the font colour but the blue is not only my fav colour, but is a better contrast for me than black on white background. I am green colourblind, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Anyway, thanks for putting it in black for the people who have problems with it.
Old 22nd December 2016, 16:11   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Thanks Mike for the best wishes for my Birthday.And yes I did have a great time. My wife and i along with two very good friends went to see a tribute band to Rod Stewart at a golf club complex last night, Wednesday. We stayed in a log cabin on site, arrived around 4pm, and proceeded to the bar for a couple of double Lagavulins before a three course meal at 8.00 o'clock.Had good night including a bit of dancing.Just waiting for Christmas now.