Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th September 2021, 18:26   #1
olliewarwick
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+

Default MG ZTT 03 Diesel - Non starter

Hi All,

So having very sadly decided to sell my car (I don't have the time to love it like it deserves so have moved to a more modern car) clearly it has heard the nasty rumour and stopped working on me.

So a couple of weeks ago the battery failed so I charged it up and it started fine. Then it happened again, but this time when I tried to start it, it almost started but then didn't and now the windscreen wipers won't turn off! Even with the ignition off.

I charged the battery again (off the car) and put it back on, the windscreen wipers start as soon as the battery is attached and it still doesn't start, just turns over but never starts.

I'm not getting any error messages on the display. (the larger one in the middle of the dials).

I can't remember the post I found, or the exact colour, but I found something about diesels not starting due to the orange wire from the engine fuse box to the ECU burning out, so I bypassed this with another wire, that didn't solve it.

I've had the battery off the car for a long time, that didn't solve it, hard reset type of thing.

I've attached TOAF to the car (I'm inexperienced so have left it alone mostly until now) but because I felt I had nothing to lose.

TOAF could only find two computers, the ECM and the Jatco auto computer. It could not connect to the EWS or anything else.

Because it couldn't connect to the EWS I replaced this with a spare that was configured to match my ECM from a while back. This didn't change anything, TOAF still couldn't connect to the EWS so it's not the issue.

TOAF showed two errors
1DF5 - Electronic car immobilisation system
1E00 CAN- bus

Plenum is dry and I'm fastidious about checking it, plus it happened over summer so I'm confident this isn't the issue, also last time it happened (that's why I'm so good about checking it) the oil light didn't come on, with this issue it does as normal.

Ideally I would like to fix the car and sell it, but to be honest I don't have loads of time and it is stored about 25 miles away in Surbiton.

So I'm after 1 of 2 things, any assistance on fixing would be grand, or if it's a bit more in depth, someone who can travel to Surbiton (paid obviously) to help me fix it. I'm reasonably capable with cars, etc.

I need to sell it really, so I may accept decent offers as is, but I'd like to see it running, if you're interested there is an ad in for sale section.

Sorry about the essay.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ollie
olliewarwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2021, 20:07   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Hi Ollie, do yoy have a sunroof or highline nav? sounds like you have water on the kbus line, that would cause the wiper issue and maybe the non start.
Old 15th September 2021, 18:28   #3
olliewarwick
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+

Thanks for your reply. It does have a sun roof but not a high line nav. That said the sun roof has never been used in my ownership (5 years) as it has been siliconed up, plus when this happened it had net been wet in weeks.

Also the wipers only started going after trying to crank the engine and it not having enough juice to turn it over quickly enough. It’s almost as though it’s pulled the power from something and then blown something, but I might be wrong though.

Any ideas, I’m at a real loss.

Cheers
Ollie
Old 15th September 2021, 19:23   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

If the wiper issue is only when e battery is low then I’d try a fresh battery and see what happens, it could. E simply a low fuel pressure issue
Old 15th September 2021, 19:25   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Just had a look at your location, if you haven’t resolved this by the 25th, I could call in with T4 and have a look for you as we will be very close by.
Old 16th September 2021, 11:45   #6
olliewarwick
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+

Hiya,
That would be great, I can make the 25th all day so whenever is good for you. I now feel out of my depth with this issue. I have another fully charged battery so don’t think a low battery is the problem.
Can you PM me your mobile?
Thanks,
Ollie
Old 29th October 2021, 12:42   #7
olliewarwick
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+

Hi All,

I've only just got round to finding the time to reply. A massive thanks to Trikey who managed to get the car going for me. I'm sure he will correct me if I get the description wrong, but where the battery got so low it stopped the engine ecu syncing with the immobiliser. Trikey put his T4 on and synced it back up again. I've been using it for about a month and put a fresh MOT on it and it's been perfect since.

As it happens, car is now for sale, but only because I don't have the time to give it the love it needs.

Thanks again Trikey.

Ollie