Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st August 2019, 13:24   #31
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Thanks - have to say that I see this from both standpoints. Whilst I really dislike the action of applying the handbrake without depressing the button - the noise genuinely offends my sense of mechanical sympathy - I also find it difficult to believe that the ratchet teeth suffer significant wear .

I’m sure there is wear - just as the ratchet teeth in an old mechanical clock will wear out over time - the time taken for wear to be significant is considerable.

And the ratchets are far more delicate in a clock and work constantly 24/7.

So whilst I still hate the thought of “ratchet abuse” and don’t do it - I’m not sure a handbrake ratchet suffers much by this heinous abuse.....
I think it is the strength and weight of the spring and the ratchet that cause the wear on the teeth. A handbrake ratchet will wear for sure. (I believe a few people on the forum.have requested levers due to wear in the past, although it may well have been a different forum, but it was a zt/75)

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2019, 19:32   #32
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

If anything, the Rover's handbrake grip should improve as the brakes cool, and the drum shrinks. Many years ago, I was visiting my brother who lived at the top of a hill in Gravesend. He had just brought a brand new Xantia back for a test drive, and parked it at the top of the slope. He was telling me over tea what a work-out he had given the car on his way home, when there was a loud and urgent knock on the door. His irate neighbour from a few doors down had seen him park the shiny new car 30 yards up the road from his beloved old Granada. While he was sitting down to his evening meal, he had heard a loud bang, and looked out to see the Xantia parked in the rear of his Granada. My brother apologised profusely, insisting he had set the handbrake on the Xantia, and we set off to retrieve it. The handbrake was up, but went up another notch without too much effort. As he reversed the Xantia, the Granada's big chrome bumper fell onto the road, along with a good deal of rust. The Xantia had hardly a scratch, but my brother exchanged insurance details to pacify the owner, while not admitting liability. A year later, Citroen issued a recall on all early Xantias, for a modification to the handbrake, which worked through the front calipers on the discs, which shrank as they cooled. Years later, I had a second-hand Xantia, a lovely car. I always pulled up the handbrake an extra notch, and turned the wheels to the kerb, when parked on a slope. BTW, since adjusting carefully, the Rover's handbrake is excellent. It doesn't have the modified yoke at the front.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2019, 20:31   #33
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
(I believe a few people on the forum.have requested levers due to wear in the past, although it may well have been a different forum, but it was a zt/75)
Yes I remember those posts.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote