Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th August 2019, 07:49   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default I'm surprised our diesels do not over heat

looking at how much coolant radiator is exposed to the air I am surprised our diesels do not over heat. The condenser radiator all but covers the coolant rad. Not sure the under tray helps with cooling, just blocks off the underside

After towing the caravan I always lift the bonnet to let the heat out and it is always very hot.. as expected I guess.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 18:29   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Put the OBD temperature readout on, you will be surprised how cool the diesels run.
Old 18th August 2019, 20:00   #3
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

The diesels are by nature more thermally efficient so run considerably cooler, so it pays to have a working thermostat or it'll just stay cool.
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 20:24   #4
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Mine is usually around 84 to 86 which is cool compared to the petrols.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2019, 21:32   #5
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
looking at how much coolant radiator is exposed to the air I am surprised our diesels do not over heat. The condenser radiator all but covers the coolant rad. Not sure the under tray helps with cooling, just blocks off the underside

After towing the caravan I always lift the bonnet to let the heat out and it is always very hot.. as expected I guess.

macafee2
I share your reasoning on this. From my experiences I wouldn't trust my car not to overheat when pulling a van up steep hills.
Mine used to run cool until I replaced the original stat and now running solo the temperature holds a steady 89/91deg. Notably in the winter it would take up to 5 miles to reach this normal running temperature. But using the winter as an example if I have the van on the back normal temperature will be reached in less than half this distance.
My initial experience was when overseas the engine overheated and went into limp mode and I found that the high speed fan wasn't switching in eventually traced due to a faulty fan PCB. Long story short I changed the fan and fitted one of Jules' Revotec fans with this and a working PCB temperature when towing on hills is much better but I have still had a couple of 'near miss' overheats when the top of the hill arrived before 'limp mode' was triggered (approx. 116/118deg) As soon as the engine load eases the temperature drops rapidly.

I have two theories, one, I thought that on the 1990's+ BMW's for towing, you were advised to fit an upgraded fan and radiator but I have been unable to find anything on this and secondly if this wasn't the case then maybe the engine being fitted transversely severely restricts natural airflow passing by the actual engine block, as you say it gets very hot under the lid.

Without the caravan the temperature behaves perfectly normally in all road conditions and ambient temperatures. I am confident that the cooling system is A1 so as said before I wouldn't trust it. The van weighs in at 1420kg max so within permissible limit.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2019, 07:19   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I towed a 1400kg caravan from Cornwall to Lincolnshire using a diesel saloon, on steep hills I noticed the temp rising, turned out the bottom pulley had completely detached itself! The crank was turning but the pulley remained stationary, it lasted the journey home, the temperature was normal unless load was applied.