Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th May 2019, 21:11   #121
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Its not a wind up, its a young lads enthusiasm going into overdrive, I remember when I used to do the same type of thing, only in my day it was bonnet scoops and sidepipes, were they put on correctly? Were they hell, you only learn how to do things correctly by getting stuck in and having a go.
Old 8th May 2019, 21:14   #122
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Its not a wind up, its a young lads enthusiasm going into overdrive, I remember when I used to do the same type of thing, only in my day it was bonnet scoops and sidepipes, were they put on correctly? Were they hell, you only learn how to do things correctly by getting stuck in and having a go.
.......I'm still learning

Exactly though.......He is learning and I'm sure enjoying doing it as well. Win Win situation
Old 8th May 2019, 21:49   #123
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Yes, I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
.......I'm still learning

Exactly though.......He is learning and I'm sure enjoying doing it as well. Win Win situation
Sadly, I don't thing ringing a MKIV Mini as a Mk1 will be a particularly good learning curve.

What Thomas needs to realise is simple, if you are re shelling a car, unless you are using a brand new shell along with invoice proving as new from a recognised supplier such as the BMiHT, it doesn't matter a jot how much of the original car is used mechanically, you cannot retain the original chassis number nor registration, and you will in all likelihood end up with a Q plated car.

Of course you can try and explain why a 1961 registration is fitted to a car with.......

No "Magic Wand" gearstick

No sliding front windows

No small rear lights

No fold down rear number plate

No external door hinges

No "wet" subframes

A single HS4 SU, whereas if it were a ex works rally car, or even a Cooper I would have expected at the very least a pair of twin HS2 "FZX3052"

Now it should be noted I'm no kind of Mini "expert", but even I can see the glaringly obvious differences between the different versions of Mini

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 22:19   #124
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER2003 View Post
I do know how the mini works you can weld the mk1 side panels to make it a mk1 as then you need the mk1 doors

Sent from my DUA-L22 using Tapatalk
Thomas, you will need more than side panels and doors to make it a mk1.

I do not believe that you will be able to keep the registration either on this car or use it on any other. The regulations may have changed since I last looked into it, which is now 25 years. To be able to keep the registration or put it onto retention, without an MOT, you needed to take the car to a TAX office to be verified (on a trailer). If it has since been scrapped, with or without the log book, it cannot be done. I believe those rules applied to both the DVLA and the DVLNI (the licensing authority jurisdiction I fell under).

As the car stands, it doesnt seem like you will be able to retain the original VIN plate either - have a read of THIS. Getting an age related plate will from what I can gather will be from the 1980's see HERE. If you have indeed scrapped the body of the mk1, you will get better value from working towards an 80's version, certainly financially. There are way too many discrepancies now to make it a saleable mk1.

There are some heritage shells, of course, but on the current rules, I am not sure you could meet the criteria to be able to call it a mk1

The 1961 plate is for a mk1 850 Mini and not a Cooper (I always thought the smallest capacity engine for a Cooper was 970cc )

Rebuilding the car, is one thing, trying to get it registered will be a complete nightmare for you by the sounds of things. At this stage, what might be a better option for you could be some form of a kit car.

I dont want to seem negative about all of this, for you will learn a lot by what you are doing, if you keep at it. But research it carefully first before spending money or time on something that may not be able to be a reality, because of legalities and red tape.

As others have said, do one at a time. Move all the others out of the way, and concentrate on only one. At least if you get one done, should it become necessary, you can sell it on to fund the next one.

One last thing, be careful you dont get so wrapped up in the cars that your studies, be it school, college or armed forces suffer for it. That should be your priority now.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 23:49   #125
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Plenty of rules and regulations there for sure!

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2019, 11:19   #126
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Talking

I do enjoy reading Thomas's latest fairytale chapters hows the relaunch of Rover going and when can I place an order for my new 75?
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2019, 11:46   #127
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

More useless and small minded comments from people who obviously never said or did anything embarrassing when they were kids.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2019, 21:52   #128
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Default N

I’m currently helping a long time friend restore his 1957 oval VW Beetle. To get a period registration ( the car was exported to Hungary originally) he was visited by a vehicle engineer sent on behalf of DVLA. This man knew his way around this car.
Made checks on its originality, what panels he was repairing and/or replacing. Checked it’s “birth certificate” proving its manufacture date and and spec which he had previously applied for. He was happy with the restoration plan, parts being used and methods. It is now an official 1957 car with a period plate. He can if he chooses sell the car as a legitimate 1957 car. It’s not for sale but as a restored car it will be worth about £15,000.
He could well have modified it, lowered it and given it a fancy paint job. He’d be lucky to get 5k in that state, not forgetting a Q plate!
Originality is everything for those who follow these cars and many other cars and as I’ve tried to illustrate it makes a very significant difference in value. His budget to buy and restore is 12k. That’s a 3k profit IF he decides or needs to sell.
Spend a fortune on a heavily modified car and you could well spend much more than it’s going to be worth. Planning a restoration is vital.

Last edited by victorgte; 9th May 2019 at 21:55..
victorgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2019, 21:55   #129
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I'm totally fed up with people making snide and sarcastic comments about Thomas's plans and ideas. I had ideas that some called daft when I was his age. I was " comned" into buying a car that I would never be able to get on the road, just because someone saw an opportunity to make money from a young lad with a petrol head.I did a few jobs to it, but ended up scrapping it as there was too much for me to cope with.
This club is full of knowlegeable helpful genuine people, but the p takers spoil it.
Thomas, heed the advice from Brian and CLF regarding the legalities of getting the car registeted and what you describe it was. Dont get yourself in to trouble.
Old 9th May 2019, 22:56   #130
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I'm totally fed up with people making snide and sarcastic comments about Thomas's plans and ideas. I had ideas that some called daft when I was his age. I was " comned" into buying a car that I would never be able to get on the road, just because someone saw an opportunity to make money from a young lad with a petrol head.I did a few jobs to it, but ended up scrapping it as there was too much for me to cope with.
This club is full of knowlegeable helpful genuine people, but the p takers spoil it.
Thomas, heed the advice from Brian and CLF regarding the legalities of getting the car registeted and what you describe it was. Dont get yourself in to trouble.
THANK YOU, Rich. There are a few of these guys that must be bullies in life to continually pick on a kid and I'm fed up with them, too. I was taught "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything". I've slipped up a few times, but nothing like those supposed adults.

Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote