Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th December 2019, 12:18   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

You tend to get problems with sockets that work off the corners of the nut or bolt if they are not a good fit.

In that case a six sided socket is best as you will never shear that much metal off even with a not perfect fit.

The main thing is, though, to make sure the spanner is a snug fit on the object you are about to undo.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2019, 14:16   #12
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts
Default Wall drive - not point drive

6 or 12 points don't differ that much - they both put pressure against the points of the nut in the direction of rotation. In an evenly matched pair of 6 and 12 point sockets the 12 point has half the contact area with the points of the nut, so twice the rounding force/pressure/torque on each point. To completely avoid that force on the points many sockets & spanners these days are wall drive (also called flank drive). Here's a diagram showing the difference. Notice that unlike the normal hex the wall drive doesn't contact the points of the nut at all. If you look at the Halfords professional sockets you'll see a similar in a 12 'point' design, albeit that the contact will be closer to the point than the 6 'point' wall drive.

I bought the original Metrinch brand which were one of the first to produce wall drive sockets - from Argos! I've still got it after more than 30 years. Uniquely for sockets these fit and work well on both metric and imperial nuts and bolts - in the one set. The downside is trying to leave a socket tight on the bolt or upside down it won't stay on - needs holding in as there's always slop on the fit (which doesn't matter because they don't round nuts off). Other versions are deliberately biased towards either. metric or imperial sizes: where these metrinch set were deliberately sized to fit both equally. They work well on quite badly worn nuts as well as long as you find the tightest fitting socket in the box for the given nut. e.g. a 10mm on a rounded 11mm nut.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2019, 15:38   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post

I bought the original Metrinch brand which were one of the first to produce wall drive sockets - from Argos!

bargain! £19.99 item 11

(cant help but notice the Norbar torque wrench too! lol

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2019, 17:46   #14
Richard1973
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

I bought these and they are brilliant.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-To...AAAOSwIYdcmgfr

Highly recommended and really confidence inspiring.
Richard1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 11:16   #15
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
bargain! £19.99 item 11

(cant help but notice the Norbar torque wrench too! lol

Mine is a slightly larger 3/8" + 1/4" kit with a much better ratchet, or was until I broke it. A halfords advanced professional ratchet was a reasonable replacement. Hint - Know when to swap to a breaker bar or T-bar to protect your ratchet!

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote