Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th December 2019, 15:05   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default is it worth me buying

Is it worth me buying a MAF and crank position sensor as spares? These would be for diesels.
I think it is these two that can play up.

What parts are getting into the hard to get area and would be a good idea to have?

Not sure if I'm getting paranoid but I don't want to struggle to find spares should one of the cars break down.

Having upper arms and rear springs on the shelf was brilliant when I found that they were needed, no stress.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2019, 15:50   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Is it worth me buying a MAF and crank position sensor as spares? These would be for diesels.
I think it is these two that can play up.

What parts are getting into the hard to get area and would be a good idea to have?

Not sure if I'm getting paranoid but I don't want to struggle to find spares should one of the cars break down.

Having upper arms and rear springs on the shelf was brilliant when I found that they were needed, no stress.

macafee2
I wouldnt go for the MAF, as it could theoretically break down whilst on the shelf, whilst you wait a few years for the one in the car to break down. This would mean you would not have a warranty if you come down to fit it and it is faulty.

I wouldn t be overly concerned about the availability of them at the minute, since the inserts are also used in V10 (i think) BMW M5s.

I dont know about the CPS, but would be concerned about failure in storage and not having a warranty to claim against. Plus if you did need it, and had become faulty whilst on the shelf, you may misdiagnose the issue because you believe the CPS to be new and therefore working.

I have a few shelved items, mainly mechanical. I am concerned with the front suspension bushes. Am fearful the rubber may deteriorate since they sit out in all weathers whilst on a car, it is unlikely.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2019, 16:20   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I wouldnt go for the MAF, as it could theoretically break down whilst on the shelf, whilst you wait a few years for the one in the car to break down. This would mean you would not have a warranty if you come down to fit it and it is faulty.

I wouldn t be overly concerned about the availability of them at the minute, since the inserts are also used in V10 (i think) BMW M5s.

I dont know about the CPS, but would be concerned about failure in storage and not having a warranty to claim against. Plus if you did need it, and had become faulty whilst on the shelf, you may misdiagnose the issue because you believe the CPS to be new and therefore working.

I have a few shelved items, mainly mechanical. I am concerned with the front suspension bushes. Am fearful the rubber may deteriorate since they sit out in all weathers whilst on a car, it is unlikely.
Thanks, what parts have you got?

I'm tempted to get a pair of these https://m.autodoc.co.uk/trw/2201802

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2019, 16:43   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

No point in keeping a MAF on the shelf Ian - the car will run fine with it unplugged if it fails so you can order one then.

I carry a spare cam and crank sensor, serpentine belt, clutch bleed kit and fluid and UBP in the boot.

That covers the most common causes of breakdowns (or as one Rolls Royce owner put it; failures to proceed) for the diesels, and I could sort any of them on the roadside if needed.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2019, 17:49   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Thanks, what parts have you got?

I'm tempted to get a pair of these https://m.autodoc.co.uk/trw/2201802

macafee2
I have front springs, not new but I kept them 'just in case', arms, servicing kit, rear light units, brake pads, front fog lamps, window glass excl front and rear screens. Bits and pieces that come up cheap that would not be affected too much by not having a warranty, or parts that I replace as a pair where only one has failed (eg two bonnet switches, brake sensors, crash sensors that I got when buying the subframe from China, 'genuine' and cheap). The old subframe is in the attic, blasted and painted, so if I need to do the rear end again, I can do it as a complete unit again.

Also the cosmetic parts I have swapped out, so the car can be returned to factory should I or a new owner wanted.

If I still had my old shed (8x12), I would have a lot more, perhaps a broken car lol, but it is only 8x6 so space is tight.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote