Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th December 2019, 12:40   #11
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Just seen this

I had mine laser etched by a local engineering company and yes, it wasn't cheap - I think around a couple of hundred from memory. Bear in mind though, I'm in Surrey and everything costs an arm and a leg 'round here .

I originally had one engraved by a local sports trophy engraving place. Much cheaper, and although they did a good job, I just wasn't happy with the overall look. Hence splashing the cash with the laser etching.

If you know someone who does sign writing, I'm sure they would do a cracking job, and I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the stainless steel polished. Mine only ever seems to need an occassional wipe over with a quick detailer to remove any finger prints etc.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2019, 12:55   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Just seen this

I had mine laser etched by a local engineering company and yes, it wasn't cheap - I think around a couple of hundred from memory. Bear in mind though, I'm in Surrey and everything costs an arm and a leg 'round here .

I originally had one engraved by a local sports trophy engraving place. Much cheaper, and although they did a good job, I just wasn't happy with the overall look. Hence splashing the cash with the laser etching.

If you know someone who does sign writing, I'm sure they would do a cracking job, and I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the stainless steel polished. Mine only ever seems to need an occassional wipe over with a quick detailer to remove any finger prints etc.

Cliff
an alternative idea, borne from the above. I am sure a sign making company could do one easily and cheap, on a clear cling type vinyl, as a laser effect.

The vinyl would keep it clean too. Probably be even cheaper if you mocked it up yourself.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2019, 13:35   #13
Teflon
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
an alternative idea, borne from the above. I am sure a sign making company could do one easily and cheap, on a clear cling type vinyl, as a laser effect.

The vinyl would keep it clean too. Probably be even cheaper if you mocked it up yourself.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
Indeed - an excellent suggestion. These window transfers were very cheap (from someone on Facebook, can't remember their details now). Once applied, you simply removed the top vinyl layer and it left just the lettering behind. Applied to the inside of the window, it looks just like etched glass from the outside. Nowhere near as robust as laser etching, but an area like the fusebox lid shouldn't get much "traffiic", so I wouldn't see that as an issue.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Old 16th December 2019, 14:31   #14
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Great minds think alike! I asked Albonnie's decals this morning about doing some in blue for me! Wont be as spiffy as Teflon's but will do me just fine! I sent a rough outlay I did in photoshop so will post once the decals and fuse cover have arrived! ☺
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2019, 15:11   #15
Teflon
This is my second home

Albonnie produces some terrific stuff, so I'm sure it will look great Every bit as good looking as laser etched, but without the financial outlay. More colourful too, no doubt .

Don't forget to post piccys when it's done.

Cliff

Edit: Just a thought, but maybe get a spare fuse box cover for MOT time etc just to make sure your main one doesn't suffer any accidental damage.

No. 4 of 6

Last edited by Teflon; 16th December 2019 at 15:14..