Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th December 2019, 11:17   #1
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts
Default Will Always Have a 75

Well, I'm not so sure now. As others are reporting, it's getting a little difficult to get in and out! Thing is, the 75 is all I need in a car, quiet, comfortable on long motorway trips, economical, cheap spares, the list goes on. Whether I've been lucky I don't know but this car is very reliable. When a certain age, you just want to turn the key and go, not be scrabbling around underneath or in the engine bay. Sure, it's had minor niggles but there's the other thing, a replacement probably won't have a forum where the members know every nut and bolt! Talking myself into putting off change as long as possible, but looking at reviews of other makes just the same.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 11:37   #2
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

The problem with modern cars is they are more like a Gameboy console - lots of digital outputs on a host of things, but in a new Volvo V40 I tried the other day (hire car) you couldn't tell what speed you were doing, and the flashing multicoloured lights were very offputting when driving. Also it had lane correction built into it - which feels really unpleasant when you have to fight the car to change lanes on a motorway... nah, I shall stick with the cars with less computers to them. The 75s drive superbly - doubt there's much other than the Jag I also own which would do the same (though the Jag feels quite different to my 75).
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 14:18   #3
Ray L
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Smile Will always have a 75

Heddy

Spot on. I feel the same. Just done 300 miles to Yorkshire and back for Christmas and had an indicated 50 mpg from my auto diesel.

Which car (Costing peanuts to buy) could give you the same features you mentioned? I've had mine for nearly 10 years and cannot think of a suitable replacement.
Ray L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 15:20   #4
Richard1973
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

I liked my ZT that I had for 7 years so much that when it needed replacing the only thing I could come up with as a replacement was another one (well, 75 in this case)
Richard1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 15:27   #5
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

I'm off to Manchester Airport in the early hours to pick friends up. Around 250 miles of motorway, cruising all the way, cosseted, in my Copperleaf CTDI, mile munching, in a 75... no better car to do it in .
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 15:32   #6
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

I think cosseted is the right term for these old things... They are just a nice place to be over a long journey and one of the few cars i've owned that doesn't make you feel like a cripple getting out after a long run.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 15:54   #7
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

I have owned the V6 for 10 years and it is a very comfortable drive. I like the electric memory seats and everything works. The shape and the look of the car is easy on the eye. The dash has real wood. I am not at all worried about fuel economy, comfort is more important.

I have no immediate plans to sell and look forward to driving it whenever I am in the UK.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 15:56   #8
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Agree with all said above.

I often just sit in mine at a nice British beauty spot enjoying the ambience of the car and whatever weather is going on outside. On a fine day you can’t beat a flask of tea and salmon and cue sandwiches while sitting on the back cill on an open tourer enjoying the view.

When such times arise, would be most happy to be buried within the confines of my car! Such a nice place to be.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 17:27   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswestryalex View Post
Also it had lane correction built into it - which feels really unpleasant when you have to fight the car to change lanes on a motorway... .
use the indicator A friend of mine has this in an Astra, nice enough car, but it is dull in every way, it looks the same as a Megane, and the interior looks as though it is trying to be an Audi. The indicators ........... she was not used to it, and would drift into a slip road on her way home, but it would fight her as she tried to go into the slip road. It made her use her indicators, so perhaps it has a good point? If the indicator is used, it wont fight if the wheel is turned in that direction.

It also had lane assist, which she proceeded to demonstrate on a curved road. It would let her go over the line, the car turning keeping her away from oncoming traffic (if there was any). I can see issues with that on narrow lanes or cars stopped on the verge, and I can see the good points of that, I dont want it! NO! To me these things are scary, and I can see how this will see an increase in minor bumps whilst people learn to expect it. Makes me think of the current generation expecting this and that, or things handed to them. Like handwriting becoming a lost skill (art - even art is changing!), driving will become a lost skill. You will no longer drive but steer a vehicle.

As far as a replacement car, I know that I am slowly (decades I hope) going to find it harder to get in and out of it, but I do not like SUVs, or MPVs. I cannot think of anything that I could happily change to. Lexus LS 400 maybe? Or perhaps a ZT/75 with air ride that I can lift at a push of a button lol?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote