Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th January 2020, 13:28   #11
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

If I were you I would keep the 1.8 Club SE nice and original ( as you intend) and then use the 2004 Contemporary as a platform for any & all mods that may take your fancy.

That way you have the best of both worlds and can enjoy the differences between original and modded .

As others have said though, it's your car, so whatever route you choose will be the right one, as long as it's what you want .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2020, 06:56   #12
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

I love originality in cars especially older 'classics' as it so nice to see a car the way it was when new rather than one thats been modded.
My 1963 Mini is totally original with the one exception of having front and rear seatbelts fitted and that only for peace of mind when out and about with the family.

I think modifications from the same model range are quite acceptable though, eg heated leather from a Connie SE into a Club, different alloys, projector headlights rather than halogens....etc

What I totally HATE is where manufacturers spend millions designing a car and some tw@t thinks that a restyle based on a smash and grab at Halfrauds 'improves' it
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2020, 07:18   #13
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I must admit, the changes that I have made to my own car have nearly all come from the MG/Rover parts bin.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2020, 08:53   #14
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discofan View Post
I love originality in cars especially older 'classics' as it so nice to see a car the way it was when new rather than one thats been modded.
My 1963 Mini is totally original with the one exception of having front and rear seatbelts fitted and that only for peace of mind when out and about with the family.

I think modifications from the same model range are quite acceptable though, eg heated leather from a Connie SE into a Club, different alloys, projector headlights rather than halogens....etc

What I totally HATE is where manufacturers spend millions designing a car and some tw@t thinks that a restyle based on a smash and grab at Halfrauds 'improves' it
I've got a 1959 Singer Gazelle and I've tried to keep that as original as possible (It's had restoration done so not all the paint and metal is) but it still has no wing mirrors or seat belts, I even scoured Ebay and autojumbles for Lucas BPF headlamps that had 'Made in England' on the glass - you can still buy these headlamps new but that are Foreign marked ones.

My ZT is not strictly original either as although it is an SE, didn't have the SE option pack although it does now. It's also got a lot of PPD bits put back on it. I don't think anyone is going to say 'ooh, that a Mk1 carpet but that's a Mk2 car...'

I don't think it's such a problem with cars like the 75/ZT where you can rob the MGR parts bin and all the bits look factory fitted, but then you do see some of these naff drain pipe exhausts or blingy wheels and you think...

It's when you look at 90s cars like Mk1 Astra GTEs, Golf GTis and Ford XRs for example that originality seems to count, mainly because so many were 'souped up' by boy-racers with as many naff extras that they could lay their hands on. You now see an original one and you do realise that the manufacturer go it pretty much right first time.

If you want a good argument about originality then talk to railway enthusiasts about 'Flying Scotsman'...
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2020, 15:52   #15
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

My thoughts on modifications or originality (for shows) is if they are period mods or possible dealer fit options, then go for it. That includes the whip aerial, slated rear window shade and wolf race supra slots on a late 70s car, but not on an eighties one.

If you have intention of showing it in concours shows or keeping as an investment, then mod it to how you want it. It is your car.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2020, 16:05   #16
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

I've thought of putting a Mk.1 front bumper and headlights on my 75 v8. I did replace the standard seats with those from a Contemporary.
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2020, 11:05   #17
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
I've thought of putting a Mk.1 front bumper and headlights on my 75 v8. I did replace the standard seats with those from a Contemporary.
Now this really appeals to me. I have seen a V8 ZT dressed up in 75 bumpers with a 75 connoisseur interior. Made me smile. Would love that, a proper Q car.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2020, 11:16   #18
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I've also got a foot in the Ford camp. It drives me mad when I see on the Facebook groups someone proudly displaying their 'new to me' 20+ year old Ford and the first thing they ask is about changing the wheels and stereo. Or changing to coilovers, getting a remap, bad boy exhaust etc.

Typically these are cars on the cusp of survival and, like many of our 75s & ZTs, need significant TLC where the sun don't shine before spending time and cash on the twinkly bits.

And, sure is eggs is eggs, these cars pop up for sale some six months later as 'a good project for someone', quoting how much they've spent on the wheels, spoiler, performance (?) air filter blah blah but now fancy something else. Just needs a little welding to make perfect
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2020, 11:44   #19
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
As long as the car is on the road then its a thumbs up from me
Couldn't agree more.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote