Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd January 2020, 17:55   #1
IGH
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Frothy Power Steering Fluid

Hi

Bit of advice from the wise wizards of all things Rover on here please.

Had new pads and discs fitted to my 75 2.5 V6 03 plate (53,000 on the clock). Went to pick up the car and had a whining noise when turning the wheel on either lock.

Popped the bonnet, the mechanic came out and went straight for the power steering reservoir, took off the cap and the fluid was frothy.

He topped up the PAS fluid and said that when fitting the pads and discs the steering would have been moved to full lock on each side and if the fluid was low air could have got into the system.

Suggested I drove it home, park up for the night and to check the level again in the morning which I will do.

It did quieten down on the drive home still a little noise but a vast improvement.

Slightly cheesed off as it must have been making the noise when they drove it off the ramps and they didn't say anything!!

Its been serviced regularly, the last time about 4-5 months ago.

Anything I should look out for? I cant see any obvious leaks.

I have no idea if the fluid has ever been changed, so (assuming its OK in the morning) would that be worth doing?

As ever comments welcomed.

Cheers

Last edited by IGH; 28th January 2020 at 14:14..
IGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2020, 19:56   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGH View Post
Hi

Bit of advice from the wise wizards of all things Rover on here please.

Had new pads and discs fitted to my 75 2.5 V6 03 plate (53,000 on the clock). Went to pick up the car and had a whining noise when turning the wheel on either lock.

Popped the bonnet, the mechanic came out and went straight for the power steering reservoir, took off the cap and the fluid was frothy.

He topped up the PAS fluid and said that when fitting the pads and discs the steering would have been moved to full lock on each side and if the fluid was low air could have got into the system.

Suggested I drove it home, park up for the night and to check the level again in the morning which I will do.

It did quieten down on the drive home still a little noise but a vast improvement.

Slightly cheesed off as it must have been making the noise when they drove it off the ramps and they didn't say anything!!

Its been serviced regularly, the last time about 4-5 months ago.

Anything I should look out for? I cant see any obvious leaks.

I have no idea if the fluid has ever been changed, so (assuming its OK in the morning) would that be worth doing?

As ever comments welcomed.

Cheers
Will probably settle down now after it's been refilled, but you can help by driving it around in say five tight cycles, first to the left and then the right, re-check the level afterwards.

If it was so low that air entered then most of the now refilled fluid will be fresh so I wouldn't bother changing it.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2020, 20:22   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Probably generated in the pressure bypass system on full lock.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2020, 20:28   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I don't understand why the steering would have been turned full lock to lock when changing discs and pads
Old 23rd January 2020, 20:39   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

check for leaks in the pipework. My blew catastrophically one evening on my way home from work. The pipes are known to rub against components under the bonnet. Mine rubbed against the AC compressor pulley.

It is possible that the mechanic moved the hubs back and forth, whilst doing the brakes, but it is not a necessary procedure. Possible that they may have been ham fisted and damaged the hoses. But they could also think that they have damaged it, but it could simply be a coincidence as it is a relatively common issue.

I would also check for any small leaks around the pipework and the rack to be sure. Any small leaks would mean air could get in, causing the bubbles.

I got a replacement hose from Mickeyboy (great service), and had it fitted in about 10 minutes. It took about an hour to remove everything around it though lol.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 12:49   #6
IGH
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Frothy Power Streering Fluid

Good afternoon.

The saga is on going. No noise in the straight ahead position but noise on lock, left and right.

Full and frank discussion with the garage and its gone back, while I'm driving a loan car.

Just phoned to check up. Apparently no leaks anywhere but still frothing up. Mentioned the pressure bypass system but apparently they've checked that.

The manager said that during the MOT the wheels are turned lock to lock without the engine running. For the knowledgeable among you is this correct?

This was in addition to turning the wheels on full lock while fitting the brake pads and discs (but we've already discussed that here).

He said that had the fluid been low air could have got in but, with no reported leaks, they were the last people to service it. He then moved swiftly on.

Its gone out on a road test and they'll report back.

I have to admit I did feel like I was getting a faint whiff of the cowshed while I was talking to them.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Added 14.15

Apparently now the system is over pressuring the PAS fluid remains frothy but is now coming out of a vent hole in the cap. I would have preferred a definitive diagnosis other than it 'looks like the pump'

My first thoughts are:

i) Is it the pump causing this?
ii) If so, any service items that can be replaced on the pump or would it be a complete exchange pump.
iii) How big a job is it to fit, bearing in mind there isn't a lot of space in there!!

Last edited by IGH; 28th January 2020 at 14:22.. Reason: Follow up to road test
Old 28th January 2020, 14:55   #7
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2020, 07:31   #8
IGH
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Smile Frothy Power Steering Fluid

Now those pictures I like very much
Old 29th January 2020, 11:26   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I know this won't help your problem but I tried my steering from lock to lock. When it reaches the end of its travel both ways it makes a noise.-------Quite loud.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2020, 12:43   #10
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Have a look at this thread with a similar problem -https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=2702128

If you find a seal/gasket set please tell us from where.

As far as difficulty level, one of the easier jobs on a V6, sits right on top, can't remember any problems.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote