Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd January 2019, 17:19   #1
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Default dmf v's solid flywheel

Ok, so I understand the reasons why the dmf was used in various cars, my question is this ... does the fitting of a solid flywheel in place of the old dmf affect the overall operation of the drivetrain that much?
I have seen many companies offering the replacement / conversion to solid flywheel so assume it is a warranted issue?
Anyone on here done the conversion? any feedback / complaints after doing this? was it cost effective? and so on.
Not planning on doing this ... unless the 'law of NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-' intervenes of course, just curious as to the results after the conversion.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:21   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

from what I've seen here, advice here is don't do it, it risks snaping the crankshaft.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:27   #3
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
from what I've seen here, advice here is don't do it, it risks snaping the crankshaft.

macafee2
Doesn't sound good ... is that purely down to vibes or some thing more sinister?
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:30   #4
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Quote:

macafee2
Had to replace 2 DMF's during my ownership of my Td5 Landrover Discovery (lots of towing and 165000 miles on the clock when I sold it), there is a solid flywheel conversion available but all the considered wisdom was not to fit on anything but a competition or full time off road car as the transmission vibration is unbearable at ordinary road speeds.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:40   #5
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Been doing some research on the subject based on the answers posted here and indeed it does seem that the solid kits come with several problems relating to extra vibration and premature wear of drivetrain internals, that said ... when I decide to have a re-map, is there an uprated dmf ? ie: would a dmf from a more powerful stock engine/clutch configuration fit in place of my standard unit to be able to deal with the torque increase?
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:46   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
Been doing some research on the subject based on the answers posted here and indeed it does seem that the solid kits come with several problems relating to extra vibration and premature wear of drivetrain internals, that said ... when I decide to have a re-map, is there an uprated dmf ? ie: would a dmf from a more powerful stock engine/clutch configuration fit in place of my standard unit to be able to deal with the torque increase?
never seen any post to recommend or suggest a change in DMF or clutch
following a remap.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:26   #7
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discofan View Post
Had to replace 2 DMF's during my ownership of my Td5 Landrover Discovery (lots of towing and 165000 miles on the clock when I sold it), there is a solid flywheel conversion available but all the considered wisdom was not to fit on anything but a competition or full time off road car as the transmission vibration is unbearable at ordinary road speeds.
I fitted a solid flywheel to a 3.2 Shogun and didnt experience any vibration, tbh it didnt feel any different. However, the M75R has a cast crankshaft, so its possible that the risk of fracture is higher.
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:29   #8
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
never seen any post to recommend or suggest a change in DMF or clutch
following a remap.

macafee2
I didn't see it on here, I just googled the scenario and had a read of the 'pro's and cons' of the conversion, but as you said ... it seems there is little point in doing it as it has the potential to cause problems in other areas.
It was only out of curiosity really that I raised the subject as if it was a good thing to do, it might have been worth it if the dmf failed in the future. I also read that the dmf spring rates are matched to the engine torque / hp of the vehicle it's been fitted to, so apparently a dmf destined for a higher torque engine will be more able to cope with a re-map of a previously standard engine.
Don't know if this is the case but seems to make sense.
Many thanks for the 'heads up' anyway.

Last edited by gadget1960; 22nd January 2019 at 19:34.. Reason: missing info
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:47   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I have experienced a DMF which was seizing up randomly, and can confirm when it wasn't doing it's job the vibration between 2200 RPM and 2500 RPM was absolutely horrendous.

I've driven various diesel 75 and ZT with single mass flywheel conversions, and they all produce harsh vibrations at differing engine speeds, and removed one from an engine with a snapped crankshaft.

Based upon personal experience, I chose to purchase a new DMF to fit to my car, and wouldn't recommend a single mass flywheel for use with any diesel 75 or ZT.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 20:16   #10
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I have experienced a DMF which was seizing up randomly, and can confirm when it wasn't doing it's job the vibration between 2200 RPM and 2500 RPM was absolutely horrendous.

I've driven various diesel 75 and ZT with single mass flywheel conversions, and they all produce harsh vibrations at differing engine speeds, and removed one from an engine with a snapped crankshaft.

Based upon personal experience, I chose to purchase a new DMF to fit to my car, and wouldn't recommend a single mass flywheel for use with any diesel 75 or ZT.

Brian
Cheers for the info Brian, always good to get first hand experience information, as said ... I wasn't thinking of actually doing the conversion, it was purely out of curiosity I started the post. But while on the subject... do you think there is any merit in using a dmf built for a more powerful engine in a standard but re-mapped 75 cdt or could the standard dmf cope with the extra torque? (assuming there are variations in dmf capability))?