Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th February 2019, 20:46   #11
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
This is caused by trapped grit in the waist seal, when the door glass comes toward the end of it's stroke, the pressure increases between the glass and the contaminated seal.

The noise is the grit scoring the glass

With the window wound fully down, use a 6" steel rule with a damp cloth wrapped around it to clean the inner seal face, once the offending gunge is cleaned off, the noise will abate.

Brian
Since discovering from this forum why my drivers window was scratched when I got the car, I have been doing what you suggest about once a month to prevent further damage yet the noise remains. So could there be any other cause Brian?
Old 4th February 2019, 21:15   #12
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Brian

This was not the case with my issue,no scratches on window and the seals were cleaned with a piece of thin plastic and wipes on a regular basis.
I thought initially it was to do with wind deflector stainless clips but when the deflectors removed the noise continued.

As mentioned above I found it to be below the seal on the regulator or where the glass is secured but as with anything not all cases are the same

I would be interested to find out what the outcome is from the opening

Regards
Steve
I wouldn't know about that Steve, I've never seen one of these without scratches on the drivers window, apart from the Firefrost car at Gaydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Since discovering from this forum why my drivers window was scratched when I got the car, I have been doing what you suggest about once a month to prevent further damage yet the noise remains. So could there be any other cause Brian?

In that case, you need to remove the window regulator, and you will see where the outer cable ferrules terminate, they enter a spring loaded white plastic part.

Difficult to describe, but blindingly obvious when you are actually looking at it, but the spring loaded part is likely to be corroded, and hopefully a dose of wire brushing and a bit of light oil, such as 3 in 1 will be all that is required.

The cable winds onto and off a plastic capstan, and it needs to be periodically cleaned up and checked.

It should be remembered that these cars have now outlived their original design brief by some years, and components designed to last for a given period, are approaching end of life.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2019, 21:36   #13
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Hi Brian, not sure if you saw my thread about the window dropping down a little over a week or so, but as that has been diagnosed as a regulator problem could that explain the screeching sound?
Thanks. Lee.
Old 4th February 2019, 21:41   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Hi Brian, not sure if you saw my thread about the window dropping down a little over a week or so, but as that has been diagnosed as a regulator problem could that explain the screeching sound?
Thanks. Lee.
Almost certainly, I reckon you'll find the spring loaded bit has rotted away, leading to an "excess" of inner cable due to the effective shortening of the outer cable.

I'd say a pound to a pinch of salt, you will find the cable is looking like a nest of rats

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2019, 21:47   #15
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

"A nest of rats" that explains the screech then . Now I have 2 reasons to get this job done, thanks for that Brian.
Old 4th February 2019, 22:02   #16
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I periodically insert a small screwdriver between the glas and door waist seal then give it a wash out with the power washer moving the screwdriver along the full length of the seal.

A squirt of cleaner with added bleach into the seal prevents green algae build up.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 19:28   #17
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

If the window seals are to be dealt with properly, then whatever you do do not rub anything on them.

They have a fine felt finish, which was obviously at one point new, and soft, glued to the inside.

As soon as you wipe/rub anything between the glass and the rubber with good intention, you will reduce the window seal to just rubber on glass, and we all know how that ends up for sound and dirt/scratches.

The best thing (and ive not done it yet) would be to find a source of this fine felt, remove all the old dry crud and glue off the old ones, and replace and cut to shape with a sharp knife.

Where you would get the felt or what it would be called exactly I never got round to doing.

All I can say is when I followed the advice on this forum for cleaning them without checking first, I regretted it as the grit and noise just got worse with plain rubber on glass.

Ahh got it!!

3M Felt window guide tape!

T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 17:11   #18
achmelvich

rover saloon

Default screeching

David, I had this up to a week or so ago and then one day I couldn't get my window UP.
I had to get wife to keep flicking the up switch while I manually pushed the window fully up, and weather has been against my stripping the door card off and examining.
If you get a result I would much appreciate the information.
Many thanks
achmelvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 05:00   #19
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by achmelvich View Post
David, I had this up to a week or so ago and then one day I couldn't get my window UP.
I had to get wife to keep flicking the up switch while I manually pushed the window fully up, and weather has been against my stripping the door card off and examining.
Many thanks
I am away from the car for the moment so havent yet had a chance to try the suggestions here. I will report back once i have.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 05:50   #20
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by achmelvich View Post
Many thanks
I have been told the issue will be the window regulator and what you describe confirms it for me (not that I doubted the advice) and I believe Mickyboy will be the man to contact for a good replacement part. Lee.