Notices

Old 19th November 2019, 19:14   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Dash cam footage can be quite interesting

Watching dash cam footage on youtube I find sometimes quite interesting

It amazes me people see and record accidents but don't stop.
Turn into minor roads and hoot people that cross the road. I always thought it was give way to pedestrians crossing the road in these circumstance, aggh yes rule 170 of highway code.

go to 8 mins 51 seconds on this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO6PUTThpEw

In the above link the driver with the dash cam decides to go the wrong way round a roundabout. It is a mini round about and he turns right. He hoots the on coming car that does not stop at the mini roundabout and goes straight on. Well, if the dash cam driver had slowed down and gone around the roundabout, the oncoming car may have been well on its way before the dash cam got to that entrance.

I find some of the footage quite amazing and think sometimes, the other driver deserved to have been rammed.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 19:53   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Watching dash cam footage on youtube I find sometimes quite interesting

It amazes me people see and record accidents but don't stop.
Turn into minor roads and hoot people that cross the road. I always thought it was give way to pedestrians crossing the road in these circumstance, aggh yes rule 170 of highway code.

go to 8 mins 51 seconds on this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO6PUTThpEw

In the above link the driver with the dash cam decides to go the wrong way round a roundabout. It is a mini round about and he turns right. He hoots the on coming car that does not stop at the mini roundabout and goes straight on. Well, if the dash cam driver had slowed down and gone around the roundabout, the oncoming car may have been well on its way before the dash cam got to that entrance.

I find some of the footage quite amazing and think sometimes, the other driver deserved to have been rammed.

macafee2
I watch quite a few of them, and have seen a trend coming forth where a lot of cam drivers quite clearly are in the wrong. Racing through a mini roundabout believing they are in the right, even though if it was paused, it can be seen the car to the left had already entered the roundabout before the cam driver accelerated through it lol. THIS channel has quite a lot of examples like it.

In the instance you mention, the car coming from the opposite side, was 'miles' off the roundabout when the cam car entered it, and whilst they were wrong, they would have cleared it had the cam car correctly negotiated the roundabout. In my eye, it would have been a 50/50 as the cam car cut the roundabout, but the opposing car did not stop. If the cam car had have proceeded correctly, the cam car would have been absolved in any incident.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 23:02   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

HERE is a classic example, paused it at 8.43. This is what I call the triple whammy, a self righteous biker, not giving way then blaming the person already on the roundabout.

Old 20th November 2019, 17:47   #4
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
HERE is a classic example, paused it at 8.43. This is what I call the triple whammy, a self righteous biker, not giving way then blaming the person already on the roundabout.
Maybe I'm missing something on my small phone screen, but doesn't the bike have right of way, the Ka is going straight over, so the bike has no reason to give way to anything.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 18:16   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something on my small phone screen, but doesn't the bike have right of way, the Ka is going straight over, so the bike has no reason to give way to anything.
I think its the mini from the left that is the problem

macafee2
Old 20th November 2019, 20:04   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Quote:
I think its the mini from the left that is the problem

macafee2
It is neither.

The Bini was was very hasty at the roundabout, however it was the biker who did it all wrong, revs loudly as it reaches the slowed Bini, which has had to slow because the Ka didnt exit the roundabout quick enough. The biker may actually have caused the issue by pulling in front of the Ka especially if it was turning right without indicating (although it doesnt look like it from the still).

These videos are littered with instances such as this. Cars are worse for the mini roundabouts. Whilst bikers mistake overtaking for filtering, then get whiney when a car or van nearly crashes head on into them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (57.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (55.8 KB, 78 views)

Old 21st November 2019, 00:07   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
It is neither.

The Bini was was very hasty at the roundabout, however it was the biker who did it all wrong, revs loudly as it reaches the slowed Bini, which has had to slow because the Ka didnt exit the roundabout quick enough. The biker may actually have caused the issue by pulling in front of the Ka especially if it was turning right without indicating (although it doesnt look like it from the still).

These videos are littered with instances such as this. Cars are worse for the mini roundabouts. Whilst bikers mistake overtaking for filtering, then get whiney when a car or van nearly crashes head on into them!

Highway code
When reaching the roundabout you should give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights

It does not make it clear if the traffic from the right has to be on the roundabout or not and the biker is coming from the mini's right.

macafee2
Old 21st November 2019, 00:37   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Highway code
When reaching the roundabout you should give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights

It does not make it clear if the traffic from the right has to be on the roundabout or not and the biker is coming from the mini's right.

macafee2
Taking from HERE

When reaching the roundabout you should

give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights The Ka was approaching from the biker's right, as it was already on the roundabout before the biker even reached it.
check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed, but still look to the right before joining. I read it as a single dotted line, which is a give way is it not? He did not give way
watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all. If the Ka was turning right (signalling or not), it would have been forced to stop for the biker, and therefore impeding the Bini, which creates the risk of the biker riding into the side of the car (that is natural selection in my view)
look forward before moving off to make sure traffic in front has moved off. lol he didnt even stop to allow himself to move off.

The point is, the two other cars were already on the roundabout, including the Bini (it was nearly as bad as the biker in its actions, but the biker was being a hypocrite about it), by the time he approached. It is for this reason the biker should have stopped, completely, at the dotted line, he did not have 'right of way' as he believed.

Because it was a mini roundabout, it exaggerated the 'wrongness' of his actions. There is nothing in the actions of the biker to suggest he negotiated that in any way correctly to feel cheated by or put into danger by the other two motorists.

Old 21st November 2019, 08:12   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I have not said it so I had better do so, I think the biker was wrong.
From the first picture it shows both cars are already on the roundabout and my thinking the give way to traffic from the right only applies to traffic already on the roundabout and the bike was not on the roundabout when either car entered it.
rule 185 seems to make me wrong
I do think the biker considers the mini to be in the wrong.

The Ka seemed to go straight on, just as well cos if he had turned right, that biker could have gone flying.

The dotted give way, as the Ka went straight on I don't think they have any bearing on ka/bike interaction. As for the mini, as I say above mini was on roundabout before bike so bike should give way but rule 185 indicates me to be wrong.

macafee2
Old 21st November 2019, 08:33   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

go to 6.19 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a18onMUQyVc&t=318s and listen to the commentary, what are your thoughts?

macafee2