Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th December 2019, 17:11   #1
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts
Default 1.8 temp behaviour strange

OK folks, heres one I havnt come across before.

My 2001 1.8 none turbo 75, has been laid up a while. Car needs a good service and coolant flush imo. No signs of hgf mind you.

However it will when driven up and down the lane once up to temps the ODB dash can go from temps of 90 to 100 and stationary up to 109.

Now I'm pretty sure that a touch warm isn't it? Fans seems to be working as required.

Now theres at least one of the fan speeds working (I'm gonna check the rest via t4 later in month), and sometimes you get a waft of coolant.

Yet when you pull the cap of the header tank there's no pressure issues, no over flow and no usage.

Like I said I think the car may have issues with coolant and possibly air locks sitting up so long, and I plan to get water pump done with timing belt here also, but I'm curious has anyone had this one before?
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2019, 17:50   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The temperatures you report aren't particularly unusual for a 1.8T that's fully warmed up and then allowed to stand at tickover. However, the cooling fan should trip on at speed 1 when the temperature reaches 104C. It should trip off again at around 96C. The Speed 1 (low) can be tested by running the 'Demist Test'. The Speed 2 (high) can be tested by detaching the coolant temperature sensor and starting the engine. The temperature gauge needle will stay in the 'off' position and the high speed fan will start. It will run until the sensor connectior is refitted.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2019, 17:56   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_NI View Post
OK folks, heres one I havnt come across before.

My 2001 1.8 none turbo 75, has been laid up a while. Car needs a good service and coolant flush imo. No signs of hgf mind you.

However it will when driven up and down the lane once up to temps the ODB dash can go from temps of 90 to 100 and stationary up to 109.

Now I'm pretty sure that a touch warm isn't it? Fans seems to be working as required.

Now theres at least one of the fan speeds working (I'm gonna check the rest via t4 later in month), and sometimes you get a waft of coolant.

Yet when you pull the cap of the header tank there's no pressure issues, no over flow and no usage.

Like I said I think the car may have issues with coolant and possibly air locks sitting up so long, and I plan to get water pump done with timing belt here also, but I'm curious has anyone had this one before?
when you pull the cap, is the engine/coolant hot? I would expect pressure if it was, which would suggest that the pressure is escaping somewhere (cap or overflow pipe?), which would also give you the smell. If it isnt hot, forget I spoke lol.

The temp behaviour, at slow speeds I would imagine would be expected (normal or not), as the coolant continues to heat quicker than the air flow can cool the radiator coolant. Fan speeds obviously need checked to be sure of course, as I imagine the slow speed should have come on earlier than 109 (but I dont know about that). Is the slow speed not activated when the demist option is selected?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote