Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st December 2019, 19:05   #1
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Default Isle of Man taxing electric vehicles

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mot...SU_1st_Feature

Thin end of the wedge. We’re not even fully electric and a UK outpost has made its decision. Here comes road tolls and other tax generating ideas.
Old 31st December 2019, 19:18   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Benjamin Franklin is credited as saying that nothing is certain except death and taxes. It follows from that truism that so-called tax incentives are a nonsense as once the new way replaces the old, tax liability will be transferred accordingly.

Simon
Old 31st December 2019, 21:17   #3
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

It seems likely road tolls will replace fuel duty and tax as well as road tax in time - with electric vehicles it will be impossible to stop people charging them from the mains (a Chinese black box will convert any odd voltage/current combo. they come up with) - and in some ways, road toll as pay per useage and no road tax seems fairer for those as drive loads then pay for it. Those of us who do fewer miles per year then pay pro rata. The only way to avoid it all? Buy a push- bike... (or electric?? they'll find a way to tax those...)
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2019, 22:21   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

At the end of the day, everyone will be taxed regardless of what fuel is used to power the vehicle, the motorist is (And always will be) The easy target, remember when diesel and lpg was promoted as the fuel of the future?

Governments need to bring in funds, joe public will provide... as long as there are enough folk out there to believe in the spoutings of the media, the ££ will keep on rolling in.

End of.
Old 1st January 2020, 00:39   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswestryalex View Post
It seems likely road tolls will replace fuel duty and tax as well as road tax in time - with electric vehicles it will be impossible to stop people charging them from the mains (a Chinese black box will convert any odd voltage/current combo. they come up with) - and in some ways, road toll as pay per useage and no road tax seems fairer for those as drive loads then pay for it. Those of us who do fewer miles per year then pay pro rata. The only way to avoid it all? Buy a push- bike... (or electric?? they'll find a way to tax those...)
The problem is, there has not been a road tax for nearly 100 years. It is essentially a tax on vehicle ownership. So if any road usage tax comes in, it will be in the form of an additional tax.

I am still an advocate of adding an additional cost on fuel. I once worked out based on an average of 12000 miles per year, and extra 10p per litre (I forget the mpg I used) would have equated to the VED. However, since it hasnt been used for a a road fund/budget for such a long time this would be unlikely to make financial sense. However, some form of additional cost on fuel would mean those who drive uneconomical or heavy vehicles (as they generally use more fuel) can contribute to both the environmental fallout (eg NHS) and road damage. At the same time it would encourage some to convert to more economical transport. I appreciate the argument for HGV haulage, and how that will add to the cost of things on our shelves, but this too would would lead to more urgent development of alternatives/advancements etc.

As I see it, the taxation system will need another overhaul soon. It has already begun, notice how you pay less income tax, whilst retirement age increased, and again whilst seeing govt insistence on compulsory additional private pension, and also more advertisements for private health care?

Less people smoke, drink, and more people drive more economical cars, all means less tax (even though the rates increase). Road tolls will be inevitable, but ONLY for new and well maintained roads.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020, 15:53   #6
kev-rev180
Avid contributor

mg ztt 190+

great diss like them evan more than diesls
kev-rev180 is offline   Reply With Quote